“Lovely Sunday lunch”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with TopTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Chequers became a Peach pub in June 2013. Peach is an independent group of gastropubs with over a decade of experience. Our aim is to make our pubs great places, full of character, great individual places to eat, drink & sleep; a place for local people, businesses, families & tourists to meet and call their own. Every pub is unique, individually designed to suit the town or village, and respecting each pub’s history.
Reviewed 10 December 2017

We visited for s pre Christmas lunch and despite having to wait for our table to be ready we cannot fault the food and service . The staff are friendly and as it was so busy we did wait between.courses but it was a lovely relaxed atmosphere made festive with the Santa hats at every place. The food was hot and delicious we will definitely be going back soon

1  Thank Sally G

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

A mediocre visit unfortunately. The carrot soup starter was very poor (watery and no flavour); sausages and mash as the main was fine; and the creme brulee was excellent for dessert. Service was generally friendly and efficient, however we did have to chase up one round of drinks. Not a big deal but the manager (who happened to come over when we were doing the chasing) said they were very busy & a big party was in (no apology). All of this was true but as a customer that's not my issue (staff the restaurant appropriately). A simple 'sorry & we will sort it out' would have changed this to a 4 star review.

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

To say that our local fav THe Chequers has gone down hill since Jordan's departure and new management in would be an understatement. Over cooked, dry and cold children's meal and totally mediocre mains. Food orders take forever, can not believe how bad an experience for food this pub now is. Pub was totally empty, midweek visit and food still took forever and was not worth the wait. So sad chequers that you have gone so badly downhill.

1  Thank Carolina B
Reviewed 28 November 2017

While it has never been a cheap place to drink, I used to be a regular here, drinks most evenings and the occasional meal too.

Having moved away a couple of years ago, my fiance and I thought it would be a nice idea to meet up here with my dad for a drink. Sadly I wish we hadn't. Not only were the drinks monstrously expensive (£30 for two drinks each for 3 people, and one of those was a small Diet Coke!) but we found the bar staff to be condescending and rude. When returning to the bar to order a second round, and served by someone different, I was told in an accusatory manner that my tab number didn't exist and 'well that doesn't really help me does it?!' when I said I would like the same Sauvignon Blanc as before but couldn't remember which one! Basic customer service skills are not difficult to grasp, and all he needed to do was politely ask me if it was the French or New Zealand or whatever it was.

There has seemingly been a change of management, and I can see from other reviews that lots of other people feel that the service seems to have gone massively downhill too. The pub was great when Jordan ran it and I would never have been spoken to in this manner.

It is all very well serving nice quality, expensive drinks in a nice environment but you have to back it up with quality service, which frankly seems to be lacking at The Chequers these days. Smart appearance but with no substance, so it is very unlikely I'll be returning any time soon to what used to be my favourite pub in the area. I shall be taking my future business to The Golden Pot, sorry.

2  Thank Dom B
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Arrived for Sunday lunch which had been booked. The service was attentive and friendly. Unfortunately the food was a let down. The starter of fishcakes were rather bland. The main course of turkey was spoilt by very undercooked veg was disappointing. The Brussels were practically raw. They had to be sent back twice before they became edible. By then most of the meal was eaten. We also observed other people sending their veg back. The Christmas tart was also cold and had to be sent back it was also a very loose texture. Although the staff apologized it spoilt the whole meal. Do not feel we can recommend this restaurant readily.

1  Thank Carol N