“ Very Enjoyable”

Price range: USD 8 - USD 31
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Over the boundary rope of the oldest cricket pitch in England… the Frog & Wicket will hit you for six with delicious food, a fantastic choice of ales and outdoor areas to suit all ages. There’s even a skittle alley and several function rooms if you wish to book a return in style.
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

We called in for lunch, the service was very good with cheery, friendly staff. The menu was varied and interesting and the food we all had was very good.

Laura J, General Manager at The Frog & Wicket, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Hi Keith,

Thank you for taking time to write this review it means a lot to our team to know about our guests experiences and we are glad you enjoyed your visit to us!

Hopefully we will see you again sometime!

Kind regards and thank you once again,

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

This might be a part of the Fullers chain but it certainly does not have the feel of being one of many. Quite original in many ways and has the feel of both being a " village local" but also a good " bistro pub". Excellent friendly service and a varied menu and good freshly cooked food.

Hi Geoff P,

Thank you very much for your kind review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope we will see you again sometimes.

Your compliments mean a lot to us as we work very hard to let our teams personalities shine through and I am very glad that you recognised this!

Many many thanks once again,

Kind regards

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Visited as part of a large party that had pre ordered food. I had ordered linguine but with no feta (can't eat dairy) and when I got there was told there is parmesan in the dish. This wasn't listed in the menu (Linguine, Olive, Spinach, Feta, pine nuts & basil is the exact description), and when I was surprised I was very rudely told 'well it has pesto in, pesto contains parmesan'. I was made to feel like a huge inconvenience and the guy that dealt with the situation did it badly. I understand that the food is pre prepared, but if you're not going to label for allergies or fully describe dishes on your menu, don't expect people to guess which other ingredients it might contain!
The food we did have in the end was very average, but the setting was very nice and waitresses were pleasant.

Laura J, General Manager at The Frog & Wicket, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Hi George1188,

Firstly I would like to apologise for your experience yesterday. The issue arose as it was not communicated properly to our kitchen team that you had an allergy. When we ask our guests to pre-order we do ask for allergy information as we have a full breakdown of every dish on our menu and the allergens that they contain.
Unfortunately we don't list every single ingredient in every dish on our menu, but this information is available at any point. We were under pressure yesterday lunch time due to a shortage of staff however, this does not excuse the poor service you received for which I am very sorry.

If you would like to discuss the matter further please email me directly at the pub on frogandwicket.manager@fullers.co.uk,

Kind Regards,

Laura Asher-Jones

Reviewed 27 August 2017

Great food, fantastic service and superb venue. Special thanks to Laura and her team for going the extra mile !!

Laura J, General Manager at The Frog & Wicket, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Hi cham73,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, its always a pleasure to look after our guests and I am glad we made your visit enjoyable!

Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I can't quite believe I'm reviewing this meal (having eaten HE&C elsewhere too many times to mention) but what I now know is there is Ham, Egg & Chips and HAM, EGG & CHIPS! The ham hock was beautifully cooked; it tore apart like duck breast. The fries were lovely (I swapped the thick-cut chips for shoe-string fries) and lord only knows how the poached egg was done so perfectly. The main ingredients were interspersed with small pieces of soft, cooked pineapple which really set the dish off. I'd feel like a bit of an idiot to write 'exquisite' for HE&C... but sufficed to say... WE WILL BE BACK.

1  Thank SirDagonet

Dear SirDagonet,

Thank you so so much for your amazing review of our favourite dish! Everyone here LOVES the honey glazed ham hock and I am so glad you enjoyed it!

Excellent choice on swapping the hand cut chips for fries (that is always my preference too!)

We are looking forward to having you back at the pub for another round of ham hock (or maybe something else if you are feeling adventurous!)

Many thanks once again,