“Clean, friendly, quiet”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Southlake, Texas
“Clean, friendly, quiet”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Check in was a hassle. Was directed to three different places before the on-duty manager checked me in. Was hardly out the office door before I was bugged about a timeshare presentation.

Condos were very clean, and fairly updated. Furniture didn't seem worn out. All the beds were full-sized mattresses-not even a queen size anywhere, let alone a king size mattress. Didn't like that. No linen service unless you pay extra, and basic supplies like toilet paper were minimal with instructions that we as the guests had to buy extra supplies like that if needed.

Quiet. Was treated rudely by the teenager running the lake water park, snapping orders for me to get out of there without a life jacket- "Which you have to pay for here!"

Main pool was too warm most of the time, and the kiddie water park area was extremely cold.
Grills were nice.

Felt like the resort nickel and dimed us. In the age of free internet in airports, coffee shops, and mostly everywhere-they try to charge $10 per day! Funny thing was, I was almost willing to pay for it but the signal was so poor I couldn't log on if I wanted to. AT&T voice and data reception also poor reception-almost non-existent. My mom's Sprint phone worked fine, though. Charges to use fishing poles, charges to play mini golf on site, charges for bicycles, and lifejacket (I believe they wanted $10 per day to use a life jacket!-We bought new ones for our boys at Walmart for $15, and took them home!)

Parking was plentiful, close by, and shaded at times. No elevators for second story units. Security felt good, and the office staff were helpful. Received 6-9 hang ups on the in-room voice mail. Knowing our family and friends would call our cell phones, we suspect these were marketing attempts.

Not planning on returning to this resort.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tim T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Glendale, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This was our second time staying here. The first was wonderful. This time, we called to verify that we have the same occomodations. It was confirmed to us several times that it was exactly the same as our first stay. Well needless to say, when we arrived it was a much smaller unit that could not occomdate us. When we called and explained that we had called several times to confirm the accomodations, we were told there was nothing they would do and if we wanted to upgrade it was an additinal 50 plus tax and charges per night. I went to the office to speak to a manager to see if they could do something since we had called severals times to confirm and was greeted by the Manager named Jose. I again explained and his response after he pushed my confirmation paper's at me was "Who did you speak to?" with a realy nasty attitude. I explained that we didn't get anyone's names since we didn't think there was an issue. He then said "you got what you booked" still with a nasty attitude. I asked if he could at least try to do something, he flat out said "No" and went back into the back office.
We then requested the upgrade and moved verything over to the new unit. Which was located in front of a swamp, they call it "wetlands", there weren't any screens on any windows or doors and we had a ton of flying bugs in the unit. We said nothing because our children wanted to go out. We tried to make the best of our time and said nothing about the bugs or the location. At about 4 a.m. on Thursday (we arrived on Sunday) I awoke to my child having a fever, I turned on the light to check her and saw a bug crawling across her pillow. I was horrified! I killed it and saved it in a ziplock. I've seen enough images on TV of Bed Bugs that I immediately knew what it was. Later that morning we called the front desk and let them know that we had bed bugs. They immediately acted which was wonderful. The engineer came in and I showed him the bug. he immediately began inspecting the bedrooms for more. According to him he couldn't find any. We gave him the bug and he took it with him. We chose not to move our room since they inspected and stated there weren't any other's and going into a new room, we wouldn't know if there were any there. We spent the entire day washing everything. Later that day we deceided to call the front desk to find out what was being done about this. I spoke to Jose again. I told him we caught a bed bug earlier that day and again nasty his response was "well it's 6:09 p.m. and this is the first I'm hearing of this" then he rattled off the details about us calling and the inspection taking place and nothing was found conveniently leaving out the fact that we gave them the bug. When i told him about the bug in the bag he said "I know nothing about that" and hung up. He sent over someone from security, to do another inspection, we told that person we had already been through that. We called Jose again and rather than be sympathtic, he was nasty and sarcastic. We were outraged and began calling around to find his superiors. we had to call a location in Tennessee that provided us the name of the property Manager at our location. We didn't sleep after that. The next morning we rec'd a call from a Joe Ferrara Property Manager. He claimed to apologize if Jose acted inappropriately but prefaced by claiming that he has never rec'd a complaint about Jose. After explaining again the entire weeks events, he also would not acknowledge the bed bug. A huge waste of time again. I asked that we be compensated due to our issues with this place and his response was "we don't have bed bugs, they are brought in by our customers, mainly Europeans, therefore, we do not compensate for this". Never spoke to anyone again. A huge waste of time speaking to anyone here with problems regarding your vacation since they refuse to acknowledge any wrongdoing and only back each other even when wrong. We paid to stay there, it was not given to us for free and we were treated like we were trash. Before hanging up with the property Manager I told him I would be posting the entire event, he said "that's fine, as will we". As a professional, I could not believe the unprofessionalism at all levels of this resort.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
24 Thank Sandra L
Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Bad service, internet expensive far from everything only close to magic kingdomi wanted to rent a jetski for an hour they wamted $120 for an hour, and after a couple of cockaroaches here and there i had to give them a terrible score, there better deals out there just take your time and look for them

• Stayed May 2012
8 Thank drummet15
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed at the resort with my family. It is not too far from Disney however, it is in the middle of a street with crappy retail. There are not any decent restaurants or retails shops. Clermont is not a great tourist city.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Angjac
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Overall, this place was a very nice and comfortable place to stay. We rented a 2 bed, 2 bath condo through Armed Forces Vacation Club for a week. The resort was reasonably located to Walt Disney World parks; about 6 miles and it was a straight shot to the parks. This was the main reason we stayed here. Many popular restaurants were also within reasonable distances. The resort hosts several pools, a small water park for the kids, a mini golf course, poolside bar in the main pool area, and a very large lake that accommodated several water sports and fishing. The resort also ensures they have all types of activities for everyone throughout each week. They had basketball courts, tennis courts, plenty of sidewalks, playgrounds, and outdoor grills. They also brought in a group from a local gator farm to show off alligators to visitors. Again, we were very pleased with the accommodations and would recommend them to anyone. The staff wasn't the friendliest but then again you never really had to deal with them. Finally, for the most part, the room was fairly clean. Not what I would have expected for cleanliness but nevertheless presentable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Peter G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
0.1 km away
18.0 km away
Floridays Resort Orlando
Floridays Resort Orlando
#21 of 337 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!