“Hotel staff horrible.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Malone, New York
“Hotel staff horrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Arrived at hotel and waited in the lobby for 45 minutes before someone showed up to check us in. Desk Clerk was not friendly. Got to our room, which I reserved weeks before, and it was a Studio suite and not the Suite with a separate bedroom . I went down to the front desk and explained that I had paid for a 1 bedroom suite and not the studio. The desk clerk could hardly looked up from what she was doing and said that I got what I paid for. I tried to explain that when I made the reservation I specifically spoke to the reseervation clerk regarding what I wanted for a room and he confirmed that there would be a separate bedroom and I paid more for it. She said no.....you got what you paid for! She was rude and did not seem to care. While at this hotel, I spoke to another guest and the same thing happened to her. I have stayed at Candlewood Suites in other areas several times before, and have never had this problem. Horrible customer service!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Mlyn12953
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Mlyn12953,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We only stayed at this hotel for one night but had a pleasant surprise when we found we'd got a full kitchen in the room,cooker, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, dishes etc Good job really as it's not very near to any restaurants or anything, but an excellent overnight stay if you're travelling. We paid $60 for one night

Room Tip: Make sure you bring a take out or your own food when you stay here as there is absolutely nothing in...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
OrlandoFL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Check in at 10pm &out at 9am. Pay under $90 for a clean room and a short stay is fine with me. I prefer not to have a kitchen. The sound of refrigerator thermostat turning motor on & off can wake you up. No outside noise- I was on ground flr. overlooking parking lot & never heard the cars outside the window as they left.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Dont Believe what other people say Yes this Hotels is Basic But it does the Job for an average rate of $60 a night.

The hotel is in good location for easy access to the I275 the beach is within 30 minutes drive away. But it is very close to the main road so at time there is traffic noise.

If your wanting a cheap play to stay but a fridge cooking unit and free laundry you cant ask for more.

Staff are very helpful, rooms are a bit tired but OK just remember that people are allowed to cook in there rooms so sometime when you are walking to you room you can smell what others are cooking.

Hotels pool is good as it never gets used and there are plenty of sunbeds but it can be a bit shady at time from the sun due to trees.

To the side of the hotel the is a BBQ Area supply with FREE gas and cooking items at the back of the hotel is a dog walking area which is great if you want to bring your best friend here.

I would stay here again if i was in the area as there is a Holiday inn and a Express down the road charging over $100 dollars a night Why stay there when this hotel does the same JOB and let you cook your own food and washing

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Matthew J
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Before arriving in Florida, I reserved a nonsmoking room for one week at the Clearwater Candlewood Suites. I chose Candlewood Suites because I have stayed at several other Candlewood Suites and they were always nice rooms and a pleasant experience.

When I arrived, I noticed the area was kind of ... seedy. I felt uncomfortable when I was given a room on the ground floor, but was told that the rooms on higher floors that were available were smoking rooms that have a strong smell, so I opted for the first floor room. I was told while checking in that housekeeping only comes once per week, so essentially, I would not be receiving any housekeeping services during my stay of one week. The front desk clerk told me that if I needed to change my sheets or towels, I could bring them to the front desk and exchange them.

I went into my room and it smelled like bug spray. The room was not filthy or anything, but just looked old and run down. The previous guest had left a container of chocolate ice cream (mostly empty) in the freezer, as well as a almost empty carton of Lactaid. That was pretty disgusting, to think that they didn't notice items left in the fridge, it didn't give me a good feeling about the thoroughness of the room cleaning process.

As a single woman staying alone, I did not feel safe in the room, I did not feel safe in the hotel. But since I made a reservation, I was obligated to pay for the first night's rent whether I stayed or not, so I decided to keep an open mind and stay the night and then decide in the morning.

In the morning I checked out. I ended up staying in the MUCH nicer Quality Inn on Hwy 19, which offered DAILY housekeeping, continental breakfast, nicer pool, in a MUCH nicer, more modern room - for only $10 more per night! Totally worth it.

I would not recommend this Candlewood Suites. I do not think that this hotel should be part of the Candlewood Suites brand. It is in dire need of updating, and better, more thorough cleaning and room inspection.

Room Tip: Change to the Quality Inn on Hwy 19.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank 67htebazile

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels