See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 October 2016

This was the most horrific motel experience we have had in a very long time. The only good part of it was talking to Mimi, who worked at the front desk. From then on it went downhill fast.

The mattress I was sleeping on wasn't a mattress at all, but appeared to be a box spring. It was, surprisingly, like sleeping on springs...imagine that! When I called the front desk Mimi had been replaced by a man who knew very little English, and the English he did know was so drowned out in accent that communication was useless. To top it off he was rude and told me I asked a lot of questions. The light on the telephone stayed on and his resolution was to tell me to get a wash cloth from the nasty bathroom and place it over the light. I did that.

The phone ran at 320 am for no reason, then at about 4 am, after finally getting back to sleep on my springs, we were awakened by a firetruck, paramedics, and police cars. It appears that one of the guests had over-dosed on something. We saw drug deals go down in the parking lot, but I guess that's what happens when you get a motel next to a strip bar.

When the maintenance person came the next morning to change out the mattress he turned it over. It seems it was turned upset down due to the filth that was on the mattress side. The mattress looked like someone had been butchered. I wouldn't recommend this miserable place to anyone. I wish TripAdvisor had fractions of stars, because giving one star to this hell-hole is way too generous!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else to choose a good room
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2016

A very average hotel, located right next to a strip club,,soo with that being said, the "occupants" of this motel are sometimes on the shady side,it is run by a family of foreigners but to their credit, they bend over backwards to ensure that you have a good stay, we did not experience any safety issues that I feard we might when we pulled up to check in for the first time. The hotel was very close to Bright House field and a restaurant called Lenny's which I highly recommend. All in all, a very average place for the money.

Stayed: March 2016
Reviewed 20 March 2016

I normally stay at this type of hotel since I go to Florida for family business, not tourism. The one where I normally stay was full. The first impression of this property: smokers and cigarette butts in the first staircase. Trash bags and discarded mattresses by the pool.
The room itself had new carpeting and bathroom. Fridge and microwave worked fine. No real overhead light, and the bulbs in the lamps were not bright enough--making the room gloomy. I abandoned a TV show in favor of an altercation next door of a couple with monetary problems . All could be forgiven but I was devoured by bed bugs--to which I am particularly allergic. We counted 7 bites when I got home. The maid was very nice in getting me a flatter pillow --the ones in the bed were almost square marshmallows.
Since I had a medical crisis back in Chicago, I left three days early. I still don't know if I was given credit for the unused days.

Room Tip: Stay away from the smokers' staircase. Scary characters.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Tomás D
Reviewed 11 March 2016 via mobile

When you pull up to this hotel, the outside looks beautiful. Enjoy that moment, because your experience will go downhill from there with a quickness.

I had to stay in Tampa last minute for an unexpected appointment in Carrollwood. This was pretty much the only hotel left in the area. The hotel was unexpectedly close to where I was headed, since it's on the outskirts of town, near Oldsmar.

**This location is NOT close to the beaches, as many may expect.**

When I arrived to check-in, I had to ring a little doorbell, which is not uncommon after hours. After a few minutes of no one coming to the window, I rang the doorbell again. From the sofa in the lobby, up rose a sloppy looking half-asleep night agent to attempt to check me in. After several minutes, I was handed the keys to 203. I went upstairs to get in my room, and neither key worked. When I got back downstairs, the agent was already back asleep. Instead of offering to actually fix the situation, he begrudgingly used his own key to open the door and made some comment under his breath.

Scared I wouldn't be able to wake him up again, I had to leave my door slightly ajar as I went to grab something to eat. Of course, that meant I couldn't unpack anything for for fear of it being stolen.

So now let's talk about the nightmare past the doorway. The first thing I noticed was some kind of dirt on the counter. Upon investigation, I discovered the piece of wood lodged in the cabinet. I have to assume management chose to burn incense in the room to cover up some type of odor and then no one ever cleaned it up.

Next to the dirt on the counter was a disgustingly filthy stove (which was strange to see in any standard hotel room, let alone across from the bed???)

Past that I saw a very nice flat screen with tacky wires hanging across the paint-patched walls. Good luck trying to find the remote. Next was a dirty refrigerator being held up on plywood for reasons I dare to even question.

It only got worse as I entered the ant-infested, hair-covered bathroom. There was one hand towel and one washcloth, no full-sized bath towels whatsoever. The vent was so covered in dust I was scared to even turn it on. The uncovered light fixture proudly displayed its one working light bulb. In the shower was dirty footprints and a shower head with so much calcium built-up that water could barely come through.

As someone who worked in hotels for 6 years in hotels, I always check the beds for uninvited critters. While I didn't find anything, I did see yellow stains all over the mattress pad and some staining on the sheets. The bedside lamps looked like they'd gotten into a fight with each other.

Of course I want going to bring any of this up to the sleeping agent. I almost went ahead and wrote my review right then and there, but I decided to wait until the morning to bring these things up with the manager.

The morning desk agent seemed to be a helpless teenager, and I told him that there was no remote and no towels in the room. He couldn't have cared less. Since this and everything else were all signs of horrible management, I didn't even bother to ask to speak with one. Without even meeting them I already knew they wouldn't care or have any desire to improve the inside of their guestrooms.

Don't be tricked by the deceptively nice outside. This is a hotel run on greed and filth.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2016 via mobile

Fist of all, I rarely write a negative review. However, this place deserves it. For starters, it's very difficult to find. It has an address of Route 19 NORTH in Clearwater, but it's actually located on Route 19 SOUTH. To make it even more interesting, the "Rodeway Inn" sign is damaged (looks like it was on fire) and not illuminated- so it's a real challenge finding it at night (see pic of sign). To add to the fun, try calling the hotel for directions. Hopefully you understand Indian dialects better than I do. So, finding this dump was half the fun. After checking in and clearly stating my preference for a non-smoking room, I was assigned a room that reeked of old, stale smoke, but the desk clerk insisted it was non-smoking. Maybe so now, but it had to once be a smoking room. The room itself was pretty shabby. The first thing I noticed was the unusual lamp (see pic) with the broken shade placed around the base. Very strange. The door security bolt is missing half of the mechanism, making it useless. (See pic). Also- some plumber had to do this as a gag- the plumbing in the sink is reversed- hot on the right and cold on the left. Thankfully I brought along some medication to help me sleep or I would never have been able to sleep in this stinkhole. I guess I arrived aggravated just due to the confusing address and inability of the desk clerk's inability to communicate effectively in English. I'll also be writing a letter to Rodeway Inn to let them know what a disaster this place is. I suggest anyone looking for a room in this area look elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo