“ Wow Mofongos with Shrimp and Churrasco”
Review of La Fondita De Leo

La Fondita De Leo
Ranked #136 of 785 Restaurants in Clearwater
Reviewed 20 September 2016 via mobile

The girl server was super she also made me a great drink , the food was superb , great chimichurri skirt steak very tender and delicious , I am Puertorrican my wife is a White American woman we traveled and eat and cook Mofingos and we tell you this is up there , outstanding food

Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

Went for lunch during a work day. Don't do that cause it will take a while to get your food & you won't have time to eat. With that being said, run don't walk to this place because the food is well worth it. I had red beans & white rice that tasted like my Mother was cooking in the kitchen. Also tried the skirt steak salad & skirt steak mofongo. All portions were more than 1 person could eat so well worth the money as well. Metered parking in front & all around the area. Can accommodate large groups as well. Very open very clean & well stocked liquor bar. Perfect for families or couples on a date. Also has a few tables in front of restaurant for outside seating. Has kids menu too.

Reviewed 18 September 2016

My husband and I recently chose to visit this restaurant as we are always excited to try a new restaurant which has opened in downtown Clearwater. The menu is very extensive and after looking at it we told our server that we really knew nothing about Puerto Rican cuisine and had questions about the different dishes in making decisions about what to order. Initially, he did not take any interest in assisting us and we had to ask him again to help us out despite the fact that the restaurant had only two other tables with customers. We ordered a sampler appetizer with several different kinds of Puerto Rican specialties which we all thought was excellent and also a large size that 3 adults as well as 2 children enjoyed. The main entrees were a different story. I had the red snapper which was served as a whole fish with bone in. It was very over cooked and the fish would not even come off the bone. My husband had the pork chops which he also felt was over cooked. My son had the steak entrée and said it was good. All entrees came with choices of side dishes and different types of rice and the portions were large. They do have a children's menu as well.

The atmosphere in the restaurant is not upscale or fancy by any means. It appears that they might have dancing or a band in the evening as it looks like there is a stage in the large dining room. The walls are covered with crayon drawings done by children in the main dining room. Also, loud piped in Latin music in the dining room which we had to compete with in our conversation.

Considering everything, I felt that the prices here were expensive for both the food and bar. Excellent Sangria though but $$. It certainly would not be the place to go for a quiet or romantic dinner for two.

1  Thank Diane P
Reviewed 13 September 2016

The staff was attentive and pleasant. Food was nicely presented. Located in downtown Clearwater. Street meter parking available nearby. Nothing fancy but clean. The food was from good to excellent? Six on the the table, we were half and half about how good the food was. My experience was like the food was all pre-coked then put together and named up when ordered. Would I go back, yes. Maybe if I order what the other 50% ordered, that they really like it! I may change my rating.

Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

I'm Puerto Rican (not from the island), and this is perfection! Sometimes one needs "home" and it can be found in comfort food. Ambience, food, it's all there! Waiting for my food, diners all around can be seen toe tapping and singing to the music...ahhh

I had the MOFONGO with pork and it blew my mind. Then I met Chef Leo, and he introduced me to his homemade hot sauce. Not only did this not change the flavor of the mofongo, but it enhanced the flavors. Wanted to take some home! Will I go back?? Absolutely. Can't wait for family to visit to take them. Clearwater has lacked various cultures for quite sometime, finally...it's here.