All reviews full kitchen across the street no elevator pool area private beach free bottled water clearwater beach quality inn k cups within walking distance nice pool living area front office great place to stay spring break coffee maker ihop
Reviewed 28 March 2012

First, let's define this place properly: It's a motel. Plain and simple, people. It's a motel.

Now, I have nothing against motels--I've stayed at some fine such establishments across this great land of ours--but I do take exception with overpriced and misrepresented motels.

This place, wedged not-so-charmingly in between two convenience stores, was asking more than $300 per night in March. Now, granted, it might be classified as a more upscale motel than some and baseball's spring training season in Clearwater creates quite a demand, but a full-service hotel across the causeway--beautiful views, lovely decor, breakfast in bed, amazing pool--was charging less. I should know because I packed my bags after one night at Coconut Cove and headed there. Never looked back.

To give the fine folks at Coconut Cove a bit of credit, the rooms were, indeed, very tidy and updated. Their staff was friendly and the location is convenient. It was just WAY out of sync with my expectations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WordGirl1968
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Just returned from an eight (8) day stay at the Coconut Cove and have to say that overall the property was nice however there were some minor issues. I would describe the property as more of a Motel than a Resort due to the fact that there is no restaurant or lounge on the premises. The parking lot is located on the ground floor (under) the facility therefore all the rooms are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors and the facility is without an elevator. Also not sure why but the facility charges a $10 daily parking fee to guest that already paid to stay in their facility. I have stayed at many other Hotels on the beach that didn't charge guest that were staying at there facility. Sort of double dipping! I would caution against getting a room on the north side of the building next to the Walgreens due to the street noise. Every night between the hours of 1 AM and 3 AM the Patrons of Billy D's Bar spilled into the street and Walgreens parking lot causing numerous arguments and fights among men and women. You would think that the local Police Department would be aware of this nightly event due to the fact that there is a Police Precinct directly behind the Coconut Cove. Then almost like clockwork at 6AM the delivery trucks for Walgreens arrive and it sounds like they are unloading trucks right in your room!
The suite appeared to be very new and was very clean. Housekeeping was great and kept the room very clean and well maintained. The bedrooms in the suite were very spacious however the living room did not have enough furniture to accommodate the number of guest that a two bedroom suite would have. The pool area is of a "Resort" quality and is really a hidden gem and by far the best part of the Motel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the north side rooms!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Dbirddog
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Here is my thorough review of the Coconut Cove Resort, covering all areas.

Overall rating of hotel: Ten

Comments: This property is well-maintained, excellent grounds, clean, and staff is quiet and non-intrusive. The location is perfect-at the end of the strip, next to a restaurant, across the street from the IHOP, and also a liquor store, grocery/drug store and souvenir shops, including an excellent mini-put course is all next door. The hotel is laid out is sections (ie: A,B, etc) with three stories. It is outside access only and no first level, so you must be able to walk up at least one flight of stairs to access your room. The blocks surround the pool in a box fashion that is in sections, but not all rooms will have a pool view, and if you don't like looking at a parking lot, BOOK EARLY and request a room that is OVER the pool. (Not just a pool view, as we had a pool view but were over a lot).

First impressions: Tina checked us in and was excellent. As previously commented, the check in is a table so you feel like you are walking in to buy a timeshare, not check in to a hotel. It has a "motel vibe" to it which I think could be easily remedied by them installing a vending machine, hotel desk and warmer decor.

Room: 4/5 on cleanliness. My room had a little bit of dust on the lampshade and my pillow smelled of the previous guest's perfume. She must have soaked her hair in it because it went through the pillow. But, the overall cleanliness was consistently good, so these things are overlooked.

We stayed in the suite which included the smaller fridge and kitchenette, with two barstools. The room is laid out wonderfully. You enter your guest room and into a living area, with new sofa, flat screen TV and table, which is a comfortable size. Of note: I wished the hotel offered boot mats, as we had sandy shoes we had to put on the carpet and felt bad about that! The kitchen is just as pictured and everything is new. They provide cookware ,coffee maker, utensils, spatula, toaster, bowls, etc-everything to make your stay comfortable. Beyond the kitchen is the washroom, and it is so large with ample lighting, including overhead in the shower, over the counter and also toilet. The tile in the bathroom is so pretty, my finance wanted to take a picture of it. You get such a high-end feeling in general.
The bedroom has a lockable door and ample, beautiful solid wood dressers, night table and sliding glass doors out to a patio that offers two chairs. The bedroom offers a second flat screen television, lots of lighting and excellent drapes for a nice, darkened room.
We need to say that we felt INCREDIBLY safe staying there. Everything was well-laid out, emergency plan easy to understand, and the police station is right around the corner. There is no noise, no "riff-raff" at all around. I am sure Spring break would be busy, but generally, we had a quiet, peaceful and relaxing stay with no other guest noise.
Housekeeping was wonderful and cordial. After being woken up at Disney at 8 am so our housekeeper could clean our room, I really appreciated that the housekeeping staff did their rounds at about ten am and were so incredibly gracious to us. We sometimes asked them to come back in ten as we were just leaving, and they never intruded on us at all. We really appreciate that, thank you.

The grounds: The pool is in the centre and is just beautiful. It has a small waterfall and lots of lounge chairs and gives a cabana feel. They offer shaded areas and also open areas to lounge, with a restroom that is located conveniently right there, with a shower. It is just gorgeous and so relaxing. the waterfall helps drown out some of the street noise and I loved laying by the pool and just listening to the waterfall, unlike other hotels on that street where you are laying by the pool listening to music, people on the beach, etc.

This is an excellent hotel for a group or family who are staying for extended periods of time and want to have a quiet, non-intrusive holiday that is conveniently accessible to everything (we hardly used our car at all, for anything!) but not priced outrageously.

Room Tip: We drove up and down the strip, looking at other hotels, comparing them--from Clearwater to St. Petes. We looked at other properties and just could not find another one like this one, that offers the privacy, value, amenities and location. Tips and advice: Book early, and request a room over the pool. Go to the private beach, (that is owned by their sister property across the road) it is secluded and relaxing. Don't stay in the first room next to the stairs. If you have trouble with stairs, this is not the place for you. There were 4 flights to get to our room, but we didn't mind at all. You pay for parking, which is ten dollars a day, FYI. You can basically park your car so you can see it from your room, nice added safety.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
22  Thank townandcountrygirl
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have stayed here for an extended period, from cooler temps to very warm days now and it has been a great place to stay. It was economical, the unit was fresh and clean, everything brand new, the staff has been excellent and pleasant, the room is always cleaned and ready to use when I returned, the pool is great...not many places offer a deep end...7', so it isn't just fun for the little ones. I like it also because it isn't filled with crazy party-ers like some of the other units have a habit of! You can get a good nights sleep and enjoy all that Clearwater Beach has to offer! I brought my bike, but the jolly trolley, walking and even a service called "Florida Free Rides" will take you anywhere on the island you want to go! You are also allowed to utilize the beach across the street at one of the hotels that is affiliated somehow with this place, so you can enjoy a less crowded environment if you want that! It is a hidden gem waiting for you!

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask to be further away from the pool. I was on the far end and still had a great view of the Sand Key bridge from my balcony and sunshine in my bedroom in the morning! All room accesses are on an upper story, so most of the parking is under the units and out of the sun and occasional rain. stairs to access rooms only. various sized suites available.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Wingman747
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from Coconut Cove and couldn't be more pleased with our "little vacation" in the warmth of the Florida Gulf coast. Everything about the hotel was perfect....we found it hard to come up with anything to complain about! The only complaint we had were the coffee cups in the rooms were very small....so we had to get up for refills more often! Loved the renovated rooms and pool area. Gardens and pool area were well kept. No extra charges for a lounge chair around the pool. The kitchen and bathroom were clean and well stocked....nice stainless steel appliances, full refrigerator, granite counters. Very comfortable suite, close to almost anything you might want to do in Clearwater Beach. Short walk to the beach. As others have said, the lack of elevator was a little bit of a downer as we hauled our luggage and groceries up two flights of stairs....but we knew that going in. Thanks for some great, relaxing days and nights!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple