“A True Dining Experience Complete with Craft Cocktails and Innovative (& Shareable) Dishes”
Review of Sweetwater

Sweetwater
Ranked #12 of 324 Restaurants in Boynton Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Sweetwater in Boynton Beach is my go to restaurant for date night, out of town guests, meeting up with girlfriends or when I don’t know where to go. On my last visit, dinner started with ordering cocktails for their seasonal menu (more on those later) and for food, an order of grilled octopus (which is often on the menu but the preparation varies seasonally). This time I would say it was Mediterranean inspired with a tomato sauce and roasted kalamata olives and a sprinkling of cheese. The octopus itself was tender and cooked perfectly. It made a great dish to share! Next up was a smoked salmon flatbread - the portion was quite large and was served atop an everything bagel seasoned flatbread, chive cream cheese and topped with dill and plenty of capers. Definitely another great menu item that would be great to share with a few people even - however my boyfriend and I had no trouble devouring it. Although already full, the next item ordered was the crab cake which was a great choice to end on. It was all crab meat (not filled with bread crumbs like many places do) - it was nice and toasty on the outside and moist and flavorful inside. It was served atop a kind of mustard sauce (though not what you typically are used to) along with some mixed greens. Again, it made for a great dish to share or even as an entree and was very rich. To satiate our sweet tooth, we shared a pretzel encrusted fudge brownie topped with vanilla ice cream. The combination of sweet and salty and moist and crunchy was amazing.

Just as important as the food is at Sweetwater so are the drinks! They have their tried and true staples, my favorite is the Spice of Life (reposado tequila, amaro, cilantro, strawberry, cucumber, lime, sriracha) as well as rotating seasonal cocktails. I most recently had the Bad Hombres (mezcal and spicy peppers among a few other ingredients)! They are true craft cocktails served by friendly, knowledgeable and creative bartenders who can even craft you a custom drink on the spot - just share with them a few of your preferences. And each cocktail is garnished beautifully - very photo worthy presentation.

The decor is dark and mysterious and one that you would not expect based on the location. The vast collection of whiskey and bourbon that lines the shelves around the restaurant, accounts for much of the decor and lends itself to great conversation pieces both among your party and with the staff. It is speakeasy-like and unlike any other restaurants I have been to in Florida (not only for the decor but for the food and drink). I mean that in the best way possible.

In South Florida I often feel that the service is often inconsistent and overall just not good and can make or break your dining experience. At Sweetwater the service adds to the ambiance and really makes it an overall experience. The bartenders are jovial and staff is knowledge with recommendations and will be honest when you ask about their personal favorite dishes. The staff enhances the restaurant's personality if you will.

As for value, you will spend about $65/per person if you have a couple of drinks and share several dishes. Is it worth it? Completely. It is a complete dining experience from start to finish and unlike any other establishment I have experienced in Florida. It is a true gem in more ways than one and look forward to more dining experiences there in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

1st time here for all 3 of us - started with the Board or Charcuterie platter - enough for 4 people - 3 meats, 3 cheeses tapenade,vegetables, crostini, fruits and a tiny bit of real honeycone - best charcut I have had, 2 of us had the BBQ Korean taco I had the fish taco - loaded fresh delicious and the coup de grace was the oreo bread pudding with vanilla ice cream- TRULY MEMORABLE - and for 1 hard drink 1 soda, 1 charcut app, 3 meals and 2 desserts it was $108 - for the quality and quantity of the food it was absolutely worth it - WILL BE BACK ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Audrey S
Reviewed 25 April 2017

Spontaneous choice for us 6 to just drop in for some Saturday evening drinks and snacks. Wonderful bar with many, many options. Just the right size menu items to enjoy and or share. Happy, informative and pleasant staff. Decor not in-your-face but inventive. A true fun place worth revisits.

Reviewed 19 March 2017

I've been to Sweetwater many times. The food is good, but I go there for the spirits.
They have over 1100 ... which include over 400 bourbons. The mixologists are experts.
The selection exceptional.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

We are lucky to have this great establishment in Boynton Beach which is full of boring chain restaurants. I have been visiting Sweetwater and it's partner Saxon next door since it opened its doors. Love the atmosphere and always friendly service. Cocktails are spot on...you must try Death & Taxes if you like gin. The food ranges from good to excellent, last few visits just good, not sure what has changed. Biggest disappointment was this past week when I ordered the Airline chicken, I had never tried this here before and didn't want a heavy dish after sharing a delicious Brie small dish with the table. It was extremely dry and lifeless and while their presentation is usually appetizing tonight was not, I think for me the biggest disappointment was that the chef let this dish leave his kitchen.
Will I return, yes I will, I'll just order what I know they do good!