“not impressed”

Angelina's Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Angelina's Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: USD 25 - USD 60
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Across From The Ship
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Went here for Easter based on reading positive reviews. Whenever someone asked me where I was going for Easter, I told them Angelina's, they all said they've heard great things about it or had been there and enjoyed it.
I went w another family and none of us were impressed w the menu selection and our final choices.
Server, Matt, was very attentive and did his job.
Caesar salad was bland. One of the teenagers in my group ordered a pizza..looked liked jarred sauce and plain mozz..bland taste.
Calamari was rubbery.
My son had scallops and pork belly..scallops slightly fishy.
My friend and I had the shrimp w zucchini noodles..If it's called Shrimp Scampi..that would be an error but regardless, it was very good.
Out of 8 people, we were the only 2 who enjoyed our meal.
We didn't complain bc we will assume that we obviously have a different palate than those who suggested we go here and this place is pricey. Especially for being in the middle of nowhere on 41. We really felt as if we were in the twilight zone!
I am from NYC..not easy to find authentic, Italian food.

1  Thank Lisa D
Ang S, Owner at Angelina's Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Angelina's. It was nice of you to acknowledge Matt for doing a good job. Our servers work hard to please our guests. Thank you for mentioning him by name.
I was taken aback by a few things you said and hope to explain so there is a better understanding of who we are and what we do.
We have never used a jarred sauce from the day we opened ten years ago. Unlike many Italian restaurants in NYC or elsewhere, we make our pasta and our mozzarella daily on premise.
We purchase the vast majority of our produce, including eggs from a nearby farm so that your food will be fresh and full of flavor, and often hours old when it is consumed.
It difficult for me to comment on your statement that you felt that you were in the middle of nowhere and that you felt like you were in the twilight zone except to acknowledge this was the way you felt and you put that feeling in writing to share with others. If you are at all familiar with the area, Estero is becoming a major commercial and residential hub in SWF and we are only too happy to be one of the original top end restaurants​ there.

I have had some fabulous Italian meals in NYC and some pretty bad ones as well, and yes like you there are times I felt the restaurant did not live up to the hype. I am sorry that was your experience at our restaurant. Please accept our sincere apologies.
We wish you a safe and pleasant trip home to NY.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Tucked away on a busy highway, Angelina's is an oasis in a sea of ordinary, busy, loud and impersonal Florida restaurants. I would recommend a booth near the wine. Curtains, private, amazing. The larger living room with fireplace can be noisy when all tables are occupied. Sean was an excellent and knowledgeable waiter. This is dining not eating. Be prepared for a 2 1/2 plus hour stay as all courses are spaced nicely.

The experience was enhanced by flexibility in modififying various dishes. For example a friend asked for the snapper to be grilled, not pan fried and he asked for a dish of fruit, not the three deserts offered with the pre fix menu. My wife asked to substitute halibut for the snapper on the pre fix menu which was fine. We accepted the small upcharge required; snapper was 27 and halibut 39 on the standard menu raising the pre fix price the 12 dollar difference. Our waiter, Sean, was attentive and friendly, but respectful of our pace and avoiding interrupting conversation.

The appetizers and salads were very large, perhaps a bit too large. Entrees were done perfectly and too hot to eat for a couple of minutes. The snapper was superb as was the halibut. Fish was served on a bed of quinoa with roasted tomatoes and asparagus and olive oil. I normally leave most of the starch, but every morsel was consumed it was so delicious.

Prices were about what you would expect at a high end restaurant. The pre fix had 3 good options for apetizer, salad, entrees and dessert at a reasonable $99 for two. Expect to pay 50 % more for four courses for two off the menu, or even more for highest end items. plus wine. Still, a great meal, fine service and excellent ambience. A great special occassion destination.

Date of visit: April 2018

Thank you for your review. It was nice of you to include many details for the Trip Advisor readers to better understand why you had a wonderful experience. We hope you will come again soon. A happy guest is a reason to open our doors every day.
Thank you again for appreciating our staff, as well as and the effort our wait staff and our kitchen will go through to have our guests leave happy.
We hope you return soon, every day can be a special occasion day here in paradise.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We made dinner reservations for a party of eight for Easter dinner. The reservation was made about 30 days prior to the occasion.
After about a twenty minute wait we were led to our table. It was a table meant for six with a chair placed on each end to sit 8. The place settings were overlapping and obviously we were uncomfortably squeezed together.
I went to the hostess and asked if we could be moved to an appropriate table for eight. She said she could not. (It was an early reservation and the restaurant not yet anywhere near capacity). I asked "in this whole restaurant you don't have a table setup to accommodate eight people?" Her reply ?! "Yes we do - but they are reserved".
Her reply was so unbelievable you could only laugh or cry (or get angry). We had reserved a table for 8 people weeks before and now told we couldn't have an appropriate table for eight because they're reserved.
She then said "let me see what we can do". She never returned. Our assigned waitress (who was very pleasant) went to inquire prior to taking any order. She returned saying they couln't or wouldn't seat us elsewhere. Reluctantly, we stayed.

In fairness, the food was good, the service good - but considering the prices at Angelinas and their stance as a classy restaurant to squeeze eight customers into a six seat setting is low class and unacceptable. Incidentally, our table was in the room off the bar that is more cafeteria like rather than fine dining. Needless to say, it will be a long time before any of the eight in our group return to Angelinas.

1  Thank 245jim2016
Ang S, Owner at Angelina's Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

I’m sorry to hear your table was unacceptable and that we could not accommodate your request to have your party moved. I understand how disappointed you must have been

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We recieved a gift certificate for Angelina's, so 3 of us decided to check it out. Our original table was located next to a VERY loud group celebrating, so we asked to be moved to a quieter table, no problem. The menu is current and diverse, and the wine list is exceptional. The staff is fun yet professional and well informed. Our table was lucky enough to be waited on by Matt, although he is a newer employee he was superb. You can tell when a person truely enjoys his work. We spent a good couple hours eating here and we will be returning again.

Date of visit: March 2018
Ang S, Owner at Angelina's Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

It was very nice that you took time to share your experience with Trip Advisor and that you mentioned Matt your server by name.
I would like to thank whoever gave you the gift certificate, it is always nice to be given a gift that is enjoyed and appreciated.
We look forward to your return and hope it will be soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

The venue is stunning. Wine tower is as tall as the building. They even offer half portions so you can try lots of items.

Date of visit: March 2018

Thank you for visiting Angelinas we are glad you enjoyed seeing our wine tower and took advantage of the half portions to try a few items.
We appreciate your review very much.