“Italian done right”
Review of Mario's Osteria

Mario's Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Mario's Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 907 Restaurants in Boca Raton
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Casual family Italian restaurant specializing in homemade signature pasta, pizza, fresh fish, and meat entrees. Great outdoor dining experience offered with a full bar. "oh yeah dont forget about the garlic rolls"
Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Everyone wants to claim to be an expert at Italian cuisine. Sadly, out of every 10 Italian restaurants I go to, only one meets my expectations. It's that moment you have after taking the bite that makes you stare back at your plate, open you eyes wide, be very grateful you have so much more left, while almost shedding a tear and letting out a silent profanity as to how amazing the meal is.

That sums up my experience at Mario's Osteria. We ordered two entrees. Both were annihilated. Doggie bag my butt. What amazing taste and texture!! The Chicken Piccata with angel hair was astounding. A masterpiece. And the best test of whether the chef knows what they're doing? You order the Bolognese. And that my friends, was what made me grin at my plate and shed a tear. It was that good.

1  Thank cnsader

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Every time we come to Boca we eat at Mario's. We have got to know the owner Mary and some of her team and the food is always of good quality and reasonably priced. The Tuscan salad is outstanding and I always enjoy the veal dishes. Cannot recommend this restaurant enough.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

Remembering the early days of the original Mario's when people queued up in torrential rain to get into the restaurant, we decided after long last to visit the new incarnation last night with friends, and felt like we should have remained with our memories!

We ordered calamari which was stale and tasteless, although a huge portion....reminiscent of the old Mario's....and while two people in our party had butternut squash, which they liked, and the fourth person had spaghetti and meatballs, all huge quantities, which was also acceptable ("nothing special, okay"), my veal chop Milanese was rancid, and after a few bites recognizing that the meat was off, I brought it to the attention of David, our server.

Instead of bringing this to the attention of management, he returned and indicated the chef confirmed they had a "bad batch," apologized, and asked if I wanted another veal chop, which I passed on, and asked for a pizza menu figuring this would be a good alternative, since another veal chop would have been iffy.

While not anticipating to be compensated by a free meal, coffee, dessert, glass of wine, or whatever, the offer of any of the above would have reflected concern of the establishment, but this did not occur, and only a cursory apology was offered.

When leaving, I asked to speak with a manager, Scott, who indicated he was "in the back all evening," and was not aware of the situation. He didn't ask my name nor suggest anything other than offer a lame apology, and I recognized that the standards had fallen, severely.

While the restaurant is very imposing and large, the acoustics are very bad in that there were no soft furnishings, and you had to speak loudly above the din.

The anticipation was certainly greater than the reward! With so many good Italian restaurants in South Florida, we will be giving Mario's a miss in the future. Sad!

1  Thank GlobalGuy22
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Been going to Mario's fro years, this is their third location. We decided to eat outside since they have a very nice patio.

Our waiter Michael Hummel was a true delight, extremely knowledgeable not only about Mario's but the restaurant scene in South Florida.

Started with the house gorgonzola salad, non descript.

For entrees, I ordered the Seafood Mario,Scallop / Shrimp / Clams / Mussels / Fresh Chopped Tomatoes / Fettuccini in a White Wine Sauce. Very good and a nice portion.

My wife ordered your favorite Italian dish, Chicken Parmigiana with a side of whole wheat pasta, believe it or not, they don't charge extra for it.

They have a huge Southern Italian menu with lots of pizzas .

They are consistently very good.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

The Happy Hour runs for several hours each day, throughout the afternoon and into the early evening, I was told by a regular customer seated near me at the bar. For Happy Hour there are many appetizers that are half price. Drinks are also half price I understand. But you have to be seated in the bar to get these prices.

I ordered a couple of the bargain appetizers. First was the short stack of eggplant pancakes. Then came the meatballs with Bell pepper and a scoop of ricotta cheese. Both were delicious. And garlic rolls came with the meal.

Service was very good even though the place was busy. Check it out.

1  Thank Bunmaster2014