“It is great for nostalgia but if you didn't grow up here, it isn't anything to brag about”
Review of Charcoal Pit

Charcoal Pit
Ranked #152 of 606 Restaurants in Wilmington
Reviewed 19 April 2018

The 60's and 70's? It was the place to be seen on a Friday night or after swim meets. Now it is tired, dirty, and filled with old retirees. I remember the food and ice-cream as amazing. Now it is plain and unappealing. Nothing special at all. My kids like me to take them there because of my stories but the small booths, poor service and lackluster menu all make for a long break between visits

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Had to stop here on a road trip, the neon sign and mid century building drew me in. Unfortunately my daughter’s burger was a dry hockey puck and my fish sandwich merely edible, just a big piece of fried fish on a bun. Maybe the ice cream is better, we didn’t try it. Sadly, I wouldn’t stop here again.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank HfromMD
Reviewed 4 February 2018

I have been here many times over the years. I am talking about 45 years! The place has gone downhill rapidly. Has to be new owners. The milkshakes are thin, the burgers are smaller, and the place is filthy. The familiar faces of the help are gone. People had worked there for years, uncommon in the restaurant industry. The only good thing is that you can get a parking spot now with no problem.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank PaulJ94
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

I have driven by this joint for 9 years and decided to give this place a try since I love hamburgers. I ordered the Smoky Mountain Burger and it was covered with good portion of bacon and onions and letter and tomato were included. I ordered another patty to make it a hearty burger and ordered onion rings in lieu of fries. I also liked the spicy mustard. My only complaint was there were no grill marks on the burger and the waitress informed me they use gas sometimes. Hmm. Prices are reasonable and would give this place another try.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank SmilingSteve4
Reviewed 24 January 2018

This place has gone downhill from years gone by. The burgers were just ok, nothing special. The main issue is that place really needs a cleaning. The floors were very dirty with papers and things scattered about and the restrooms were not great. Makes one wonder what the kitchen is like. They were celebrating over 60 years in existence - it's time they fix up and clean up the place.

Date of visit: December 2017