“Valentine's Date”

Ranked #112 of 599 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 5 May 2017

We went here as a post-Valentine's celebration and both of us thought the food was very well prepared. Prices for the entrées and wines were very reasonable and portions were good.

This is a small locale which I had driven by many times without realizing it was even there. The owner/chef was on hand and greeted us when we walked in. I had expected some interaction from him since he was on hand and visible but I guess he had to tend to the food. It wasn't that busy when we came by. The waitress was friendly but did not seem that knowledgeable and had to check with the chef for questions we had as to preparation/ingredients.

The décor is chock-full of interesting antiques and memorabilia which some may find overwhelming but I though were charming, lending a unique atmosphere which I much prefer to the typical faux landscape mural of many Italian restaurants. My eye kept travelling the room around us to take it all in. Since the space is small, it feels intimate which I think makes it a nice spot for a date or a dinner with family and friends.

Reviewed 28 January 2017

Pastabilities was a real find. The food is excellent and is hand made by Luigi Vitrone, the owner and chef. He has captured the spirit of an Italian trattoria, with very reasonable prices and the feel of being a guest at a friend’s home.

Fortunately (for me) my wife doesn’t eat much so we left with several boxes and were able to enjoy the food another night. We will be back frequently.

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Everything from scratch, everything fresh. The best bang for your buck in the Delaware Valley. Forget the homemade desserts.

Reviewed 15 October 2016

I never knew what Seventh Heaven meant until I walked accidentally into Luigi's Pastabilities restaurant back in the late 1980's. I lived in the Wilmington area back then, and every Friday night, my husband and I would venture into Little Italy and get some of the very best of Italy right there in our own backyard. Many years, an exhusband and a move to many other states since then has never removed from my mind those sweet memories of the very best Italian food on the planet. Homemade, light pastas in fresh sauce, raviolis that make your mouth water and melt as they roll over your tongue. Milk fed veal parmigiana that cannot be comparable to anything else you will ever delight in (well perhaps a great lover can compare, but that is only momentary and fleeting). I rarely get to the East Coast anymore, now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, land of fruits, nuts, yogurts and environmentally correct "clean food" and fat sun starved people. But NEVER have I forgotten Luigi's restaurant and the delicious homemade goodness that makes it so very special that even the Godfather himself could not get such a meal. Last week, I was privileged to attend a professional conference in Baltimore and had the opportunity to escape for a day up to Little Italy and the Wilmington area to catch up with my old friends and see if Luigi was still there. He was! I won the lottery my friends! Oh Luigi, I love you! I love Doris! Please, please I beg you to come and open up your restaurant here on the West Coast where people really need to learn how to eat properly! Better Italian homemade food cannot be had anywhere my friends! I love you Lu!

Reviewed 9 October 2016

In the factory world of chain restaurants, and locals that order their semi prepared food from the same corporate wholesale suppliers, it is refreshing to go to a place where asking if it is homemade is a stupid question.

You can't find a more honest kitchen. You walk through it on the way to your table. Chef Luigi greets you. The two dining rooms and the small bar area are all decorated with an exposed brick wall, and ceiling lights that gives you the feeling of dining under the stars.

Kitchen salad was large enough to be called a banquet kitchen salad. Easily enough to share. A slice of freshly toasted Italian bread with tomato, cheese and olives was also served.

For dishes, our table had veal parmigiana, and veal spezzato. No knives needed here, soft enough to cut with a fork. Also ordered were manicotti and gnocchi.
Sauces were delicious and both pastas excellent.

Server was warm, friendly and knowledgeable. She gave us time to enjoy the meal but also was readily available when needed.

Overall, all areas of the experience exceeded the usual. Food, service and decor made it an enjoyable night out with old friends. Pricing reasonable and even less than one can pay at a chain. And you won't find a microwave oven in the kitchen either.

1  Thank delaware104