“Seventh Heaven”

Ranked #110 of 574 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 15 October 2016

I never knew what Seventh Heaven meant until I walked accidentally into Luigi's Pastabilities restaurant back in the late 1980's. I lived in the Wilmington area back then, and every Friday night, my husband and I would venture into Little Italy and get some of the very best of Italy right there in our own backyard. Many years, an exhusband and a move to many other states since then has never removed from my mind those sweet memories of the very best Italian food on the planet. Homemade, light pastas in fresh sauce, raviolis that make your mouth water and melt as they roll over your tongue. Milk fed veal parmigiana that cannot be comparable to anything else you will ever delight in (well perhaps a great lover can compare, but that is only momentary and fleeting). I rarely get to the East Coast anymore, now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, land of fruits, nuts, yogurts and environmentally correct "clean food" and fat sun starved people. But NEVER have I forgotten Luigi's restaurant and the delicious homemade goodness that makes it so very special that even the Godfather himself could not get such a meal. Last week, I was privileged to attend a professional conference in Baltimore and had the opportunity to escape for a day up to Little Italy and the Wilmington area to catch up with my old friends and see if Luigi was still there. He was! I won the lottery my friends! Oh Luigi, I love you! I love Doris! Please, please I beg you to come and open up your restaurant here on the West Coast where people really need to learn how to eat properly! Better Italian homemade food cannot be had anywhere my friends! I love you Lu!

Reviewed 9 October 2016

In the factory world of chain restaurants, and locals that order their semi prepared food from the same corporate wholesale suppliers, it is refreshing to go to a place where asking if it is homemade is a stupid question.

You can't find a more honest kitchen. You walk through it on the way to your table. Chef Luigi greets you. The two dining rooms and the small bar area are all decorated with an exposed brick wall, and ceiling lights that gives you the feeling of dining under the stars.

Kitchen salad was large enough to be called a banquet kitchen salad. Easily enough to share. A slice of freshly toasted Italian bread with tomato, cheese and olives was also served.

For dishes, our table had veal parmigiana, and veal spezzato. No knives needed here, soft enough to cut with a fork. Also ordered were manicotti and gnocchi.
Sauces were delicious and both pastas excellent.

Server was warm, friendly and knowledgeable. She gave us time to enjoy the meal but also was readily available when needed.

Overall, all areas of the experience exceeded the usual. Food, service and decor made it an enjoyable night out with old friends. Pricing reasonable and even less than one can pay at a chain. And you won't find a microwave oven in the kitchen either.

1  Thank delaware104
Reviewed 19 May 2016

We were very happy to hear that Pastabilities opened up again after a long wait.
We have been going there since they opened as a take- out only, in 1988.
The inside has changed considerably since they opened up as a sit down restaurant.
You have to be there to really appreciate the decor...it's nothing like you will see in any restaurant.There are only about 12 tables but there is a warm,cozy feeling about the place.
The menu and prices have changed, but not the taste and quality .
I don't know what the prices of the daily specials would be each night, but there is nothing over $14.00 on the entire regular menu.
We had 2 ice teas, complimentary brushetta,, an appetizer of baked chicken wings with Gorgonzola cheese.
I could eat those all day
My friend had homemade gnocchi with Alfredo sauce and I had Breaded chicken breast with fontina cheese and it came with a side of risotto Milanese.Almost everything is homemade by Luigi.
Our total bill without tip came to $39.00.
We're looking forward to out next visit.

1  Thank dude369
Reviewed 25 January 2015 via mobile

Plain & simple. I stumbled upon this place in search of an Italian restaurant to have dumber before a show at the grand opera house. I'm from Maryland which has an incredible little Italy of it's own... So I've had some great Italian. This was the best... And I'm going to make the hour or so drive just to eat there... Show or not!!

3  Thank Jay3607
Reviewed 6 January 2015

After a long hiatus, we had the chance to visit Pastabilities again and we were not disappointed.I can't speak for the whole menu since I end up ordering my all time favorites. The hot antipasto for 2 and Chicken Bobby O'Neill... a breaded chicken cutlet topped with ricotta cheese,eggplant, cheese and topped with homemade marinara or meat sauce and baked in the oven.
My partner had spinach Fettucine Alfredo, freshly made.
For anyone who hasn't been there before, you might find the decor a little unusual to say the least. There are only about 8 tables seating from 4 to 8 people.

2  Thank dude369