“A Bit of the Midlands in Talleyville”

Stoney's British Pub
Ranked #199 of 563 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Stoney's in an earnest and mostly successful attempt to offer a British Pub in small wonder of Delaware. It's namesake hails from Leeds and claims he started it after despairing of ever finding real English fare in the US. I know this because on most visits he meets each guest with a hearty greeting and a ready willingness to share his life story and anything else you may want to know.

But there's more to Stoney's than its amiable host. It has a great selection of beers, ales, and ciders as befits any British Pub worthy of its name, as well as wines and harder stuff. And depending if you appreciate or disdain English cuisine will determine whether you hail or revile the food, but no one will deny its authenticity.

After sampling traditional fare like Beef & Kidney Pie and Bangers & Mash on prior visits, this time I opted for the more straightforward Fish & Chips. I got a flakey moist fish fillet lightly coated in a crispy coating of batter. My wife complained that her King George (roast beef bits wrapped in a Yorkshire Pudding) was a bit dry, but I noticed she cleared her plate nonetheless.

For dessert I went for the traditional treacle cake served in a warm pool of custard while wifey choose the Yorkshire Delight --- yet another Yorkshire Pudding, this time wrapped around ice cream. Neither of us were disappointed.

About the time we were finishing up, a folk dou set up and began serenading us with a round of Celtic melodies, completing a memorable dining experience.

If you're looking for British kitsch, feel free to seek out your local Elephant & Castle franchise. But if you want to partake one man's honourable quest to bring England to the Americas, meet me at Stoney's !

1  Thank T. R. H

Reviewed 20 July 2017

I absolutely love British/Scottish/Irish food. I travel over there a lot, and so I was excited when I found this restaurant. However, I was never even acknowledged when I entered the restaurant, let alone was I offered a table. I hung about for a while, making it obvious that I was there to have a meal. Finally, I simply left. I won't go back.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

All I can really say is, Why aren´t you here yet?! Stoney´s is a WOW. The absolute best Fish & Chips i´ve every had in my life. Big Statement....you tell me. If this is how the Brits do Pubs, I need to hop a flight. Like the intimate spacing and don´t get me started on the Beers. I personally had the Boddingtons Cream Ale. Another big statement: Its the smoothest i´ve ever had. And you better not even get me started on the Yorkshire Pudding. Man I am done typing i should be on my way back right now. King Fish and Chips here i come.

1  Thank Shanon J
Reviewed 22 February 2017

Having spent a fair amount of time in English pubs (in the UK), I can say with confidence that a homesick Brit stuck in Wilmington would feel right at home in Stoney's. The beer list is not only authentic, but goes deep into the catalogue of real bitters, IPA's, stouts, etc. The back of the bar is lined with more whiskeys than I can count, which if I was a whiskey drinker, would get me in trouble.
The English have earnestly tried to keep up with the rest of the world when it comes to cuisine. One of the glories of visiting the UK today is that there are world class restaurants in all the major cities, and dishes from nearly every culture can be found even in small villages. Indigenous dishes, however, fall short of the label "gourmet." If you're ok with this, Stoney's delivers well-prepared, fresh, and flavourful pub grub. If in any way the food does not satisfy, there is plenty of beer and whiskey to wash it down. All kidding aside, there is something for everyone here, and the food is not bad.
Service is outstanding, even when busy, and the eponymous owner is very engaged in every aspect of the operation. Props for having live entertainment and community events!

Reviewed 26 January 2017

The atmosphere was very much that of a US bar also serving food than a British Pub. The fish and chips ordered - the fish was tasteless and the chips were fried with skins on, resulting in non-crispy chips. The room was more like a 'community centre' than a British Pub. I understand it is owned by a gentleman from Leeds. He appears to have forgotten what a British Pub is.