“A local gem”

cannon's custom cakes and bakery
Ranked #17 of 18 Bakeries in Newark
Description: 302-368-7900
Description: 302-368-7900
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

We have been purchasing birthday cakes from Cannons (no relationship), for 30 years. Always put together well and delicious.

Thank J. Roy C

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

Where do I even start? My cupcake tier was an absolute hideous mess! I paid $300 for a wedding cupcake tier. They told me twice my cake would go on top and I would need 75 cupcakes to fill in the tiers. Mind you this is for a WEDDING! The cake was left on the table. The put the cupcakes on the tier in no specific way. The cupcakes themselves looked like a preschool project. Some bubbling over the paper.. Globs of icing not even nicely decorated on top. It looked like a blue bear pooped on all of them. Just a horrible ugly disaster. I was mortified! Their response: "we're sorry you werent satisfied. We will let the driver know to put the cake on their tier. We hope you had someone fix it for you after you took a picture" no! My guests did not fix it thats your job! No apology or offer to even make the situation correct( how about $300 worth of cookies as a consolation prize??) what good is telling the driver now? My wedding is over. I wanted to cry. It was terrible and a rip off. Go To Bings for your bakery needs. Stay far away from cannons. I hope w/the $300 they took for crappy cupcakes they hire a decent baker/designer and driver. Just awful. And no offer to make it right? This was my wedding!

1  Thank sillystamper
Reviewed 23 May 2016

I picked up my cake on 5/20/16. It was the type of basic cake that had and image strip placed around the cake. The image strip was not completely flush with cake. They kept telling me that the image on the internet was a 7" cake. I advised them that I don't work for the bakery and if they knew the that the cake had to be the 7" cake for the image to fit well, I should have been told that over the phone while placing my order. I had to ask for a discount...the cake cost me 30.00+ and they only gave me $3.00 off. Luckily, we didn't have to present to cake to a crowd.

Reviewed 13 November 2015

One of the highlights of my wedding was my maid of honor’s speech, in which she thanked me for always knowing the best places to eat, the best dishes to get, the best desserts to end a meal with. Ironically, I could not have done a worse job than selecting Cannons for my wedding cake.
Although I provided the bakery with multiple pictures of the cake I wanted—and despite their incessant reassurances that they would take care of everything—the cake I received was not the one I ordered. When I saw it, my heart sank. My custom cake topper was missing, the color/decorations were completely wrong, and it was lopsided. As far as taste, it was fine. Not amazing, but decent enough. But when you’re spending $500+ on dessert—on the most important day of your life—you expect the best. You won’t find that at Cannons.
Worse yet is their quality of service. When I called to voice my complaints, I was told the owner would get back to me. A week passed and nothing. I had to drive to the bakery in person, only to be told a manager wasn’t available and would call me back. I finally spoke to the owner three weeks after my wedding, only to receive a store credit or cash for less than 10 percent of my cake cost.
In hindsight, I should have saved my money and just ordered a sheet cake instead of an expensive four-tiered wedding cake. But for this once-in-a-lifetime day, I wanted something special. My only regret is choosing Cannons for my bakery. I will never make that mistake again. Brides beware.

1  Thank Lindsay S
Reviewed 30 October 2015

CANNONS CAKES - I used to think this was a great bakery, not anymore. I took my niece there to purchase her wedding cake. The consultation/tasting went well as she like the samples they gave her. She provided Cannon’s with a picture of the style cake she wanted and a color swatch for the beginning color of her ombre cake. She even purchased a fourth tier so she would have the cake look like she wanted. Cannon’s told her no problem, don’t worry they would take care of everything. NOT!!!! Day of wedding, the cake was delivered late, so the florist did not get to place the flowers on the cake that she purchased, the cake was lopsided and not the style or color scheme she ordered. My niece did not get to see her cake until they walked her over to cut it after dinner, as apparently Cannon’s told the caterer that it could not be out due to it being filled with a mousse and pastry cream filling and decorated with buttercream…. A cake is one of the main focal points at a reception and should be able to be out for at least an hour and a half or so. My niece walked up to her cake and was devastated at what she saw. Fast forward to after the wedding, my niece called Cannon’s and asked for a manager and was told that they were not available and someone would get back to her. NOT!!! A week later no one has called her. She then went to Cannon’s in person and again was told that the manager or owner was not available. She explained to the girl working what the problem was and that she wanted to speak to the manager. The girl proceeded to tell her that she delivered the cake and it was not lopsided that the caterer must have done it when they moved the cake. (You can tell by the picture that the cake was not stacked straight and did not shift when moved as the borders are still completely intact). The girl at Cannon’s further stated that they could not do what she wanted with the colors as the cake was airbrushed and they made a judgement call. WHO ARE THEY TO DECIDE WHAT SOMEONE’S WEDDING CAKE SHOULD LOOK LIKE????? My niece ordered this cake over a month in advance, if they could not do what she wanted they should have told her and she could have gone elsewhere. She is still waiting to speak to the manager or owner, as she is still very upset and embarrassed over the cake and is now stuck with pictures of this ugly lopsided cake! CANNON’S HAS LOST SEVERAL LOYAL CUSTOMERS, AS I NOR MY FAMILY WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN, DUE TO THEIR DISHONESTY OF WHAT THEY CAN AND CAN’T DELIVER AND THEIR HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. ONCE THEY GET YOUR MONEY THEY ARE DONE WITH YOU.

3  Thank Linda W