“Cake was not put together well.”

cannon's custom cakes and bakery
Ranked #17 of 18 Bakeries in Newark
Description: 302-368-7900
Description: 302-368-7900
Reviewed 23 May 2016

I picked up my cake on 5/20/16. It was the type of basic cake that had and image strip placed around the cake. The image strip was not completely flush with cake. They kept telling me that the image on the internet was a 7" cake. I advised them that I don't work for the bakery and if they knew the that the cake had to be the 7" cake for the image to fit well, I should have been told that over the phone while placing my order. I had to ask for a discount...the cake cost me 30.00+ and they only gave me $3.00 off. Luckily, we didn't have to present to cake to a crowd.

Reviewed 13 November 2015

One of the highlights of my wedding was my maid of honor’s speech, in which she thanked me for always knowing the best places to eat, the best dishes to get, the best desserts to end a meal with. Ironically, I could not have done a worse job than selecting Cannons for my wedding cake.
Although I provided the bakery with multiple pictures of the cake I wanted—and despite their incessant reassurances that they would take care of everything—the cake I received was not the one I ordered. When I saw it, my heart sank. My custom cake topper was missing, the color/decorations were completely wrong, and it was lopsided. As far as taste, it was fine. Not amazing, but decent enough. But when you’re spending $500+ on dessert—on the most important day of your life—you expect the best. You won’t find that at Cannons.
Worse yet is their quality of service. When I called to voice my complaints, I was told the owner would get back to me. A week passed and nothing. I had to drive to the bakery in person, only to be told a manager wasn’t available and would call me back. I finally spoke to the owner three weeks after my wedding, only to receive a store credit or cash for less than 10 percent of my cake cost.
In hindsight, I should have saved my money and just ordered a sheet cake instead of an expensive four-tiered wedding cake. But for this once-in-a-lifetime day, I wanted something special. My only regret is choosing Cannons for my bakery. I will never make that mistake again. Brides beware.

1  Thank Lindsay S
Reviewed 30 October 2015

CANNONS CAKES - I used to think this was a great bakery, not anymore. I took my niece there to purchase her wedding cake. The consultation/tasting went well as she like the samples they gave her. She provided Cannon’s with a picture of the style cake she wanted and a color swatch for the beginning color of her ombre cake. She even purchased a fourth tier so she would have the cake look like she wanted. Cannon’s told her no problem, don’t worry they would take care of everything. NOT!!!! Day of wedding, the cake was delivered late, so the florist did not get to place the flowers on the cake that she purchased, the cake was lopsided and not the style or color scheme she ordered. My niece did not get to see her cake until they walked her over to cut it after dinner, as apparently Cannon’s told the caterer that it could not be out due to it being filled with a mousse and pastry cream filling and decorated with buttercream…. A cake is one of the main focal points at a reception and should be able to be out for at least an hour and a half or so. My niece walked up to her cake and was devastated at what she saw. Fast forward to after the wedding, my niece called Cannon’s and asked for a manager and was told that they were not available and someone would get back to her. NOT!!! A week later no one has called her. She then went to Cannon’s in person and again was told that the manager or owner was not available. She explained to the girl working what the problem was and that she wanted to speak to the manager. The girl proceeded to tell her that she delivered the cake and it was not lopsided that the caterer must have done it when they moved the cake. (You can tell by the picture that the cake was not stacked straight and did not shift when moved as the borders are still completely intact). The girl at Cannon’s further stated that they could not do what she wanted with the colors as the cake was airbrushed and they made a judgement call. WHO ARE THEY TO DECIDE WHAT SOMEONE’S WEDDING CAKE SHOULD LOOK LIKE????? My niece ordered this cake over a month in advance, if they could not do what she wanted they should have told her and she could have gone elsewhere. She is still waiting to speak to the manager or owner, as she is still very upset and embarrassed over the cake and is now stuck with pictures of this ugly lopsided cake! CANNON’S HAS LOST SEVERAL LOYAL CUSTOMERS, AS I NOR MY FAMILY WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN, DUE TO THEIR DISHONESTY OF WHAT THEY CAN AND CAN’T DELIVER AND THEIR HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. ONCE THEY GET YOUR MONEY THEY ARE DONE WITH YOU.

3  Thank Linda W
Reviewed 31 October 2014

My husband and I were
looking for a good bakery,we ran across cannons. I was very excited that we found a
Bakery that could make designer cakes. I told them that this was our first time coming here and I'm a little nervous because I order cakes from somewhere else, but this time I'm going to order from here because its closer. If its good we will be back. WELL I WON'T RETURN THERE!!! I called in to complain they said they will call me back around the end of the week and I'm still waiting!! We paid for filling in the cake!! And there's no FILLING!!! NO CALL BACK NOR DID I GET MY MONEY!!!!!

4  Thank Stephanie D
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My family has been getting cakes from Cannon's for as long as I can remember. Their cakes are delicious and they could not be any more helpful. Have never been disappointed with anything from Cannon's.