“I couldn't pass this up!”
Review of Preservation Forge

Preservation Forge
Ranked #35 of 52 things to do in Lewes
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I'm a blacksmith and I was visiting Lewes while on a break from a nearby blacksmithing conference, so I couldn't very well pass up John's forge. The best thing about it is that it is first and foremost a working forge. Williamsbirg is a working forge, but its priority is interpretation for tourists. Preservation Forge's interior ain't pretty (Except to a blacksmith), but it's real. The "Museum" on the sign misleads some. Much of the interpretive aspects are just observation, though John and/or his apprentice will certainly answer questions if the questions don't interfere with work. Watching and taking in the atmosphere of a working blacksmith shop are educational in themselves.

5  Thank HowlnBubba

Reviewed 23 June 2011

My husband and I have been into Lewes several times & have never seen this place open. However, the other day we noticed the doors were wide open & we couldn't help but take a peek. At the time we arrived, there was an older gentleman speaking with another visitor. He never took a moment to greet us OR ask us IF we had any questions. We just peeked at the equipment, tools and large hanging chandeliers overhead. It really is NEAT to LOOK at, but would have been better IF the worker would have taken a moment to speak to us. Not sure HOW it is a museum, when I did not see any signs OR an employee willing to speak to us. But you could tell that it was a working blacksmith shop.

Overall, I thought it was a neat place, but without any narration...it was hard to appreciate. I would not make a special trip here--as the place seems to RARELY be open. IF you are already in downtown, it doesn't hurt to take a peek.

7  Thank daisyferret1