“Still a favorite after all these years!”

Grants Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Grants Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 186 Restaurants in West Hartford
Price range: USD 31 - USD 40
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: LaSalle Rd
Reviewed 12 October 2016

We dropped in after a medical appointment to try their Tuesday oyster special. What a treat this turned out to be. We were seated at a nice booth, promptly served ice water and delicious ParkerHouse rolls. Waiter said oysters were just being delivered and he'd find out what they were. Turned out they were from Orleans, MA and absolutely delicious. We each ordered a dozen and felt very decadent. They were Fresh, Briny, well chilled, good sized and served with lemon, a cucumber mignonette, cocktail sauce and horseradish. And, as a bonus, bottled wine was half priced so we enjoyed a delicious Sancerre with our oyster fest. Server was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Overall, a perfect experience.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Our son and D-I-L gave us a give card for Grants. We didn't know much about the restaurant but decided to give it a try. We were very pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious, the service was excellent and the ambiance was enjoyable (translation...we could actually have a conversation without shouting!). For appetizers, I had the fish taco and my husband had the NE clam chowder. Fish taco was delicious. Next time, I'm having it for my entree. The NE clam chowder was homemade, thick with lots of clams and some bacon and potatoes. Proclaimed delicous by my chowder loving husband! For entrees, I had the Simple Chopped Salad with grilled shrimp and hubby had the Organic Black Pearl Salmon. Both were terrific!! The wines were just the usual "by-the-glass" wines, nothing special. They could improve in this area (which is true of most restaurants!). We shared a slice of chocolate cake for dessert and it was, also, great! The one area in which we were very disappointed was the bread. For some reason, they serve Parker House rolls! Now, I have nothing against a good Parker House roll but with all the delicious bread and roll options out there, one would think Grants bread could be a little creative. Our server, Jose, was terrific; friendly and efficient. Interestingly, we were about the youngest people eating inside on a Thursday evening, and we are NOT young by any measure. West Hartford can tend harbor an older crowd in some circumstances. However, it was early and maybe a younger crowd shows up later in the evening. The outside seating, which is right on the main drag in West Hartford, was filled with young professionals having cocktails and dining so it was a good mix, all things considered. We thoroughly enjoyed this new, to us, restaurant and we intend to go back.

Reviewed 23 September 2016

Wonderful food, service and atmosphere. A little pricey but worth it. Parking by sticker machine a pain.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

My husband and daughter and I decided to take a walk following dinner in West Hartford Center. We stopped for dessert on Grants outside patio. It was a very lovely evening. We were welcomed to a full patio even though we were only ordering dessert and coffee. Our server was very attentive and the offerings were a perfect way to top off our evening. My daughter had a very decadent chocolate pudding cake that was delicious, my husband had a creme brulee that was excellent and I had a wonderful hot fudge sundae. After eating every bite and several espressos later the need for a long walk was evident.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

Grant's is located in the heart of the food/retail area in West Hartford Center. It's definitely one of the finer restaurants. The great service starts with the hostesses and continues with the bar and wait staff. But the shining star of this place is definitely the food. The menu is filled with local/fresh/seasonal foods, all prepared exceptionally. We had filet mignon as well as salmon, both of which were simply amazing. If you can, leave for dessert as they have a wonderful dessert menu too.

A few other notes;
* Be sure to make reservations either by calling ahead or online via Open Table.
* Reservations cannot be made for the outside patio seating; that is first come first serve
* Parking can either be found on the street if you're lucky, or in one of the nearby parking lots