“Not worth a trip”

Indian Well State Park
Ranked #6 of 9 things to do in Shelton
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Went for a father's day picnic with family and our dog. The website indicated no dogs on beach but leashed pet in park. We were turned away from entrance with woman saying "it" (our dog) couldn't cone in. We were redirected to a unkempt small area to park. Alleged trails were not maintained, trash not picked up. Picnic tables in high grass. Not a place to return to.

Date of experience: June 2017
3  Thank ursula72

Reviewed 15 February 2017

Not a bad place to spend an afternoon, good for kids and families. Bring some lunch and sit by the water for a relaxing day

Date of experience: August 2016
2  Thank Mike9811
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

Wow state of Connecticut really dropped the ball on this park, Picnic tables are rotted and unusable, The beach if you want to call it that is sand over grass goose crap all over the place, The water looks filthy I would never go swimming in it, Trash cans not emptied. Wouldn't waste my time or money on this park, Too bad it could be a nice area if the state would talk care of it

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank Jimmytherug
Reviewed 23 August 2016

I went with a group of friends and my two children (ages 6 & 9) to go to the same swimming hole that I went to as a kid and my parents went to when they were young. There was a group of daredevils there that were jumping off the rocks into the pool but my kids enjoyed playing in the stream and my oldest loved to swim across the pool. The hike is relatively short and the water is COLD -- just perfect for a hot summer day. I wish people didn't leave their trash but it's still fun and this part of the park is free.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank Amy A
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 August 2016

We live less than a mile away from this park but rarely go. Don't get me wrong: the park is pretty. It has picnic facilities, a boat ramp, and (tucked away in the woods) a lovely waterfall. But the state has fallen down badly on what should be the primary attraction: the swim area. The park is on the bank of the Housatonic River, which is plenty wide enough for a substantial swim area. But year after year, the state places the swim line so close to the bank that the swim area is nothing more than a wading area. Silly, because there are lifeguards aplenty and no reason whatever why this park couldn't do this right. But they don't, so if swimming is in your plans, you can skip Indian Well until they rethink this.

Date of experience: July 2016