“Great Italian restaurant”

La Marea Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
La Marea Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 83 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

We were so happy to see this place open and to be so tastefully redecorated after the previous place closed. We kept hearing that the food was very good and finally gave it a try.
Our food was delicious and the service was excellent. We shared the fried calamari which was very good and had some shrimp included. The sauce was great.
Two of our group shared pizza and they liked it a lot. I had the broiled half chicken and it was wonderful. We also thought that the cocktails were first rate.

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Love coming here. The food is always wonderful and the owners make you feel like you are guests at their home.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Both my husband and I had the most disappointing dinners at this place. It is very expensive and the food was just average. Will never go back again.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 10 July 2018

On our previous visit to La Marea, we had a great meal which made up for so-so service. With the high prices, this was an "occasion" restaurant. So we went back for my daughter's birthday - we probably won't go back again, as it made the occasion nothing close to special.

While we were seated promptly, service after that left much to be desired. Long wait for drinks, long wait to take our order, long wait for apps to arrive, long wait for main courses. We ended up not having dessert (but had a long wait to tell the waiter we just wanted the check, then again for him to pick up our credit card).

The food wasn't as good as our previous visit, either The grilled calamari app was so overwhelmed by bacon and mushrooms that you couldn't taste the calamari. Roasted vegetable "salad" had no taste at all. Pasta dishes were excellent, roasted chicken was nothing worth mentioning.

The wait staff have an almost arrogance that might be acceptable if they were actually delivering a special meal - they either need to raise their game or come back to reality.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

This was our first visit. We had heard mixed reviews from friends. Service was efficient and friendly. The setting is pleasant. The menu is not extensive but well balanced. I had the fish which was a bit boney and salty but had a good flavor and nicely presented. My husband had the lasagne which was tasty though a bit on the small side. (He said he left hungry.) In viewing the other dishes be presented around us, portions are modest. This is not old world Italian cooking, it has a far more lighter,healthy twist. I think it would be a nice touch if they served a small salad with the meal. This is not a cheap place to eat. I would try it again. The next time I would bring my less ravenous girlfriends.