“Worst chain hotel I've ever stayed at”

La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I've stayed at strange motor inns and sketchy hostels in Eastern Europe and Central America, but this hotel delivered the worst value for the money of any place I've ever stayed, and I only paid $70 a night. I requested a room on a high floor on the side of the hotel not facing the road. Instead, we got a corner room with two windows facing I-95 and its service road on the third floor. Noise from outside on a Friday evening was loud. The walls are the thinnest of anywhere I've ever stayed. I woke up to the alarm clock in the room next door around 5 am (time is a guess because the one clock in our room was broken) and heard the occupant brush his teeth, shower, receive a phone call, discuss why he had showered, his plans for the day, etc. Not his fault - the walls are so thin he probably heard me as well. Tiles and grout in the bathroom were dirty and I found a price tag for something left over from a previous occupant in my bed. Really gross. Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I stayed here with a group of high school students and their parents because we were attending a speech tournament at Yale University. The hotel is next to IKEA, and I think that was a bit of a comfort because we knew there would be people in the area during the day who wanted to purchase rather than take something. It is not a area I would recommend. The hotel staff was average, not rude, just a bit overwhelmed, I think. One parent and her daughter were placed on a floor of the hotel with an odd, horrible smell. The parent went to the desk, and she thankfully was moved to another floor, but I have no idea what they did with most of the other residents of the floor who were in line to get another room since we were told that the hotel was full when we checked in. I started with a smoking room, even though I had booked a non smoking one, but the young lady at the desk kindly moved me. We had no mishaps but were happy to check out. The rate was good, but i think I will pay $25 more per night and stay in a different area should I return to New Haven.

Room Tip: ASK to check it out before commitment.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NiniMississippi
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This La Quinta is a little bit hard to find but the location is pretty close to Yale - you could even walk there as the area was under construction when we visited in June 2010.

The rate is very reasonable & I agree w/ the other reviewers that the facility is a little bit worn & the staff not exactly chatty or overly friendly. But hey, you want to get a comfortable & quiet place to rest for a price that won't break the bank. You're not there to make friends or should you expect a 5 star class hotel amenities, right? Breakfast is included & I believe newspaper is free too.

It worked for us.

Room Tip: Away from elevator & higher floor.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kiwiman-98
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Good value and room was nice, eventually. Initially given the key to an occupied room by the monosyllabic desk clerk. If he smiled once or strung 2 words together, I must have missed it. After going all the way to the room, finding someone's belongings in there, and hauling back down to tell Mr Sunshine, he acted put out. After not saying anything at all for 3-4 minutes while checking his computer, he thrust a new key at me. Never an apology.

Again, nice place and a decent value, but the front desk is the face of your hotel. I'd hate to see who they turned away from that job.

By the way, a woman who was, I believe a manager, witnessed both exchanges without comment.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 12 September 2011

If you have a choice, dont stay here. After Hurricane Irene came through, my reserved hotel was not available due to power outages so I stayed at the La Quinta Inn in New Haven, Ct. The building is nice, the rooms are ok except there was no mini-fridge as advertised. The customer service was the worst Ive ever seen. There must have been a towel shortage. There were people lined up at the front desk every night asking for towels because housekeeping never left any in the rooms. THey would take the used towels and not replace them. Along with the coffee packs, never got one for the mini-pot.
Came in one evening to find the trash can sitting on the desk, unemptied and the coffee pot sitting on the bed. When I or other guests I overheard would nicely request to get replacement towels or something, the desk staff was insulting and defensive.
The key card never worked, I started stopping at the desk every night to have it reactivated, before going up the elevator to find I couldnt get in my room.
Very disappointed in my stay there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Duncan Hotel
#6 of 12 in New Haven
5.5 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven? Share your experiences!