“Great sandwich”
Review of Meat & Co.

Meat & Co.
Ranked #169 of 618 Restaurants in New Haven
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

One of the best sandwiches I’ve had in a while, laid back and friendly crew. Pork belly and pickles on a perfect baguette. Others there had excellent looking ruebens and the giant special was intimidating, but looked good from afar. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 15 April 2017

Meat & Co. is a sandwich counter that was developed by the owners of 116 Crown. It is located in the historic 9th Square neighborhood. They change their menu almost daily and they use fresh and local ingredients. We had a reuben sandwich and a turkey sandwich. Both tasted good and especially with a can of pinot noir to wash it down. I must admit that they get points for the wine, as I have never seen cans of wine before. Their prices are slightly higher, but worth it. Be sure to read the definitions that are posted in the front windows, which do describe the concept and their mission.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

I've been here about a half dozen times when I have business in New Haven. The steak and cheese, pressed into a sandwich, is one of my go-to sandwiches in town. The meat is fresh and very tender.

Bonus: their food is locally sourced, so you shouldn't mind paying a dollar or two extra for better quality.

Downsides: the outdoor seating is on the street (literally - they set it up in the reserved street parking spaces), which can get backed up easily, especially with all the construction; also, the drinks are a bit pricey, even though they serve the "real sugar" coke in the glass bottle.

They run $10 lunch meals on Mondays, but it's not available for every sandwich, however.

Would definitely recommend.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 27 February 2016

I had heard about this sandwich shop but hadn't had the opportunity to visit. I was a bit surprised when I got my sandwich and bill given all of the reviews. The sandwich was slightly better than average as to condiments only. Nothing else stood out. These are sandwiches pressed on griddles. Nothing fancy or exceptional. However, 2 sandwiches, 2 small bags of chips and 2 sodas came to $28.00 $28? Seriously? And again, average at best. You can get better sandwiches with fries or chips and a drink for much less in New Haven. Zoi's on Orange and the Regal Beagle come to mind. Zafra has a better pressed Cuban that actually includes a side for less than the cost of the sandwich here. I'm glad I finally visited but I'll likely pass on a re-visit.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 15 December 2015

This small location is hidden off the side of crown street and has flown under the radar for being a little our of the way for me compared to other dining locations. However, after my fiancé convinced me to go I can see the appeal.

These guys have a creative, fresh look on the average deli sandwich featuring a minimalistic alternating menu with wine and beer options to pair with it. The menu is comprised of creative twists on classic sanwhiches like the reuben, tuna salad, and roast beef that are culinary genius.

We were pleasantly surprised that the Monday special was a sandwich with a drink soup and chips for $10. Fantastic. We grabbed bags of posh kettle cooked chips and chose to drink some San Pellegrino, which came in the BIG glass bottles and not the smaller plastic bottles or cans we expected. The soup was a creamy, thick tomato soup, well seasoned with a hint of cheese added. My sandwich was Rick's Rueben, made with half pastrami, half tongue (YES, tongue), with their house sauce and red cabbage slaw on a fresh pretzel roll. The meat was grilled on a panini press to perfection. Not enough to cook it to death, but enough to let all the juices meld together and crisp up some edges. The tongue was succulent and the pastrami clearly not cheap deli meat. All of which worked wonders in this for long sandwich.

I managed to nab a bite from my fiancé's sandwich which I forget the name of. It was a turkey based sandwich with bacon on an olive loaf. It was pleasantly sweet, almost giving the impression that the bread was raisin bread, not olives. Along with that the turkey wasn't dry and stringy, but instead moist and while still deli sliced carried a silky texture.

As for the environment, the guy in charge was loud, funny, and engaging. They were friendly and entertaining in their small place and engaged with all the customers who came in offering advice on sandwiches, sharing funny stories, and providing amusing banter back and forth in their thick New England accents to the back drop of Frank Sinatra (who's photo rests on the wall).

This clearly isn't the place to try and bring your family or a picky eater, but if you want an amazing sandwich, made with quality meat and bread, and don't want to deal with any pick two menu, or wander why you didn't just make the sandwich at home.. this is the place.

Date of visit: December 2015