New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
New Haven, Connecticut
“Always Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Some people have been going here so long, they have watched the family grow up. Pizza, only pizza. It is always good.

New Haven, Connecticut
“A pizzeria that cares.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I love the people at Ernie's. They have the demeanor of really kind therapists. So glad to see you. They love what they do, they care about it, and they do it well. Example: their margarita pizza, with fresh tomatoes, is only available in summer and fall when local tomatoes are in season. With the plastic tomatoes available the rest of the year, what's the point? The pizza is the best west of downtown, and they are the only pizzeria in New Haven to offer whole wheat pies (superb!) and gluten-free pizza (haven't tried it). Highly recommended. Become a regular.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank cwhig1848
wallingford ct
“The best pizza anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Ernie's has the best pizza period. A lot of hard work goes into everything they make at Ernies and everything is always perfect.

• Visited November 2011
NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AWESOME PIZZA WITHOUT THE TOURIST CROWDS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

Ernie's is AWESOME!!!! You don't have the nutty crowds & lines of tourists that you run into on Wooster St. & get fresh, excellent, quality New Haven pizza. When my wife & I 1st started dating & she told me about New Haven pizza 20 yrs ago (I was living in NYC at the time), I thought she was nuts. Then we went to visit her family & I was hooked. We have eaten at them all several times, but we are hooked on Ernie’s. Pat (who owns Ernie’s) & his staff/family are fantastic; as accommodating & friendly as can be. My family has lived in NJ for the past 17 yrs & will take a special road trip up to Ernie’s a few times a yr for a pizza fix. When we do, we make sure to clear out our freezer to bring home some extra pies, (they reheat GREAT). We also get several orders from neighbors that we have gotten hooked, often bringing home 10+ pies (remember they only take cash if you plan to order extras). My wife & I have to travel to Boston a few times a yr for business & will call a day or 2 ahead to order pies for on our way home. Since Ernie’s is just off the Merritt, it is a simple & easy to get off the highway, grab the pies, get back on the road & have a very happy family when we get home. Once the restaurant was closed for a death in family, & I picked up pies at Pepe’s. upon getting home I wrapped up 3 pies to put in the freezer & put 2 more in the oven to warm up. When ready, I called the family to the table & after a few bites my 2 kids (11 & 14) looked at me with disappointed faces & said, “something is wrong with the pizza…it doesn’t taste right. They had no idea that I stopped somewhere else to get the pies. When I explained that Ernie’s was closed & that I had to stop somewhere else in New Haven that makes very good pizza to get the pies, they ate it, but kept grumbling that it just wasn’t as good as Ernie’s, & next time don’t stop if Ernie’s isn’t open. Guess it is safe to say that Ernie’s has a 2nd generation of loyal fans in my family’s ranks! THANKS PAT!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank jim42Nj
Schenectady, New York
“I'll stick with NY pizza thank you very much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

Went for here for pizza while visiting my college student daughter. Good thing I wanted pizza as that is the only meal on the menu. Pizza was fair, but much prefer NY style pizza. Service was very, very good and accommodating. Atmosphere was family comfortable. Serving size was good and pricing was good.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Ernie's Pizzeria? Share your experiences!