“Great service, disappointing food and the place needs deep cleaning”
Review of 116 Crown

116 Crown
Ranked #141 of 616 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2018

One of my original favorite places to eat in New Haven, after years it's time to do some deep cleaning. Booths have cushions that have probably not been replaced since the beginning. When moved there is plenty of old, dry food underneath... Not a great impression, especially that prices are at the low.
Food was disappointing, except for the fries that were great. Cocktails, as expected, very good; service attentive, professional and pleasant.

Reviewed 16 August 2018

Great staff... food just OK... booths cuzzy...
Drinks were excellent...
Waiter excellent...

The 3 of us ordered hambergers Medium Rare... presentation was good... Hamberger seared on the outside... meet inside was cold and raw... indicates the kitchen isn't working properly.

The entire interior is getting real old and is in need of updating... The booths especially should be torn out and redone... cuzzy/dirty... put a damper on the dinner.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Very slick upscale modern minimalist style - the booth cubbys gave me a bit of a clockwork orange vibe. Long table that connects to the bar is a lit from below onyx slab that you can sit on both sides on - great for couples or groups.

We were given a menu of drinks - my bourbon & whiskey friends were well represented and thrilled with their options. I am more of a gin gal so had to read though a few times and settled on the glitterati which was lovely but next time I will try the Aviator or the Gray Lady. The mixologist did come and try to help me pick. He was very knowledgeable about spirits.

We didn't eat but may next time since the bar snacks looked yummy. Would definitely return with my SO to have a drink after dinner in town.

So I have one issue - you have a beautiful space, thoughtful lighting design, gorgeous looking cocktails but the whole thing is cheapened by... basic doilies? Really? If you guys are charging $15 a cocktail please get doilies that match the vibe of the place - maybe even custom doilies without lace that clashes completely with the carefully curated atmosphere. I was so annoyed by the doily my pal took one home to bother me with at a later date.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

I recently had booked a party at this establishment for 40-50 ppl as an afterparty to my wedding reception. I booked the entire outside patio and gave a large deposit 4 months in advance. On the day of my wedding, my guests and I were surprised to find that only one small table had been reserved for us outside. The patio was filled with restaurant diners and my guests had no place to sit. When I asked to speak to John, the manager, who had helped me in booking the party, he said that if I was not happy with the outcome we could all leave. If I didn't have 40 ppl with me on a saturday eve I would have. Many guests left bc they were so uncomfortable with how rude John was to us, and out of town guests were astounded at how terrible the service was that we received. Needless to say we, nor any of my guests present that evening, will ever be back to this establishment.

1  Thank VanessaW2388
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

First of all, coming in from the cheerless cold, the warm heated entry way and the glow from the long bar was very inviting and set us up in good anticipation for a good meal. We came for the prix fixe Restaurant Week dinner. And the food was tasty, although I will quibble a little: the smoked octopus salad was a bit over powered by hot pepper, and the amount of squid seemed meager, and my entree of scallops were very salty. But what almost really marred the meal was that food was brought just barely warm. We felt kind of bad sending back soup.. but it was just barely tepid. Our server, though well meaning, was completely inexperienced, having no idea what to do when when we explained that it was pretty cold. And then again with entrees. Only one out of four was brought to the table nice and hot. We sent one back-- hangar steak with mashed potatoes-- even then mashed potatoes came back warmer but not piping hot. Scallops with absolutely delicious roasted potatoes were just barely warm enough, and it seemed churlish to complain too much. To be fair, we did get well meaning apology from a manager... who offered to bring us-- what?--something to help compensate for the tepid food. Being a work night, we did not want more wine or cocktail... we were on a full 3 course menu, what else could we ask for? We appreciated the thought. Restaurant Week is designed to lure us out of the 'burbs to try a new restaurant... to get us to come again and tell our friends. Who knows? 116 Crown may have had a staffing problem-- or timing problems in the kitchen, but in any case we aren't able to rave about this restaurant, and we would have liked to.

1  Thank viajera1968