“Awesome Peking Duck & Outstanding Service”

Great Taste Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 162 Restaurants in New Britain
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 October 2015

My first visit and I was wowed! Chinese food is not on the Top 10 list of foods I enjoy but this restaurant blew my taste buds away. The BEST hot & sour soup I've ever had. I so enjoyed my husbands General Tso's chicken and I sprung for The 2 course Peking Duck with a glass of California Plum wine. My husband said they have the best egg rolls he's ever eaten. We had the good fortune to have PAT for our server and she was over the top in presenting the food, serving the food and attending to all our needs. I've never had such great service. 5 stars all the way. And we had more than enough to take home for a second meal. I can't wait to eat it again. Don't be fooled by the outside of the building. The inside is really nice. Seems like it is a great place for a special night out or celebration with family. We came at 3pm on Saturday and there were a lot of customers there. Great way to end the day after a football game. Wish I lived closer to this restaurant. I was very pleased!

Reviewed 16 October 2015

I was first introduced to this restaurant while I was attending college at CCSU back in the early 90s. Now that I'm working in the area temporarily, it felt like I renewed a relationship with an old friend. They know how to cater to the lunch crowd by being quick and consistent every time I drop in. The meal is fresh and delicious and never greasy. Can't say enough about this place! Even the hubs love it.

Reviewed 15 October 2015

Met my mom there for dinner on Friday. Place was packed by 6:00. Interior is more upscale than most other area Chinese restaurants and the food is better also. We enjoyed everything we ordered, especially the fresh, sweet pineapple served with our fortune cookies at the end of the meal. Comfortable booths for four against two walks, as well as available tables. Wait staff was extremely attentive to our every need. $100 for 2, with drinks, but definitely worth it.

1  Thank WeHaFoodCritic
Reviewed 4 October 2015

So disappointed, I really expected the food to be better. Instead, it was the same frozen Crab Rangoon, and bulk sauces -- the pink stuff that looks like it would glow in the dark. There was even the obligatory aquarium that seems to be a fixture in Chinese buffets. The water was less dirty than in most.

Don't waste your money on the "Trio", a combo that was supposed to be for two people. Two shrimp for you, and two for me, smothered in a pound or so of chopped onions and drowned in more of that fluorescent pink sauce. Bland, pale chicken and vegetables and a beef dish that could have been Dinty Moore. Each consisted of very small portions, which may have actually been a blessing.

An order of General Tso Chicken also failed to please. The taste was good, but leaving the cartilage and gristle in is as bad as it can get.

Great Taste does a great job in making a fine first impression. The wait staff is dress in suit and tie, the table linens are clean and crisp, and the service was excellent. Too bad the food was so horrible.

Reviewed 4 October 2015

We have been going to this restaurant for over 25 years but haven't been there in a while so it was good to see that they still deliver a fantastic meal. This was a converted IHOP but the white table-clothes and decor are very pleasing. Service is quick and attentive and all the dishes taste a notch above standard Chinese fare. The soups are better seasoned, the egg rolls cooked to a crunchy perfection and our main dishes were outstanding (I had the sea bass and my wife had broccoli w/garlic sauce).