“Fun and unique”
Review of House of 1833

House of 1833
Ranked #4 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We were quite surprised and intrigued with 1833. Pleasant and entertaining inn keepers, fun guests, nice breakfast, but best of all, like staying in a museum. Everything had a story. Good location. Some travelers might think mansion was cluttered; we thought it was thoughtful and clearly the inn keepers love their job!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 September 2017

My husband and I just spent a wonderful weekend at House of 1833. We were so impressed by the attention to detail that our hosts Evan and Robert put into everything. We had asked ahead for soft pillows and they were there upon our arrival. The mansion is like a museum with stories to match all the items. Evan is a fantastic host and knew the area so well. He gave us excellent suggestions for dinner and day trip ideas. Robert is an amazing chef. The breakfasts were truly delicious and super extravagant.. I highly recommend this B & B .

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

My fiancé and I had the absolute best time at the House of 1833. We stayed in two of the rooms during our stay and we could not have been more pleased. Each room has it's own theme and the attention to detail was amazing. The beds in both rooms were super comfortable and my fiancé got the best night's sleep he has had in such a long time thanks to the jacuzzi tub!

The breakfast, served on their lush garden patio, was out of this world. I'm a vegan and I was very surprised how accommodating they were to my eating habits. Most places will give fruit and oatmeal as their vegan alternative. The House of 1833 served vegan pancakes with coconut whip cream and Tofurkey sausage. I have never been out and been able to eat a modified version of a "traditional" breakfast. We spent the rest of the day excited for the next breakfast!

Staying at the B&B is like being allowed to sleep in a museum. Both Robert and Evan enjoy explaining the history and back story to every piece of art displayed in this magnificent home. The gardens on the property are so much fun to explore. Hidden in the back of the yard is a very large pool with many places to relax.

We can't wait to return and try a different room! We will also be looking forward to seeing Evan, Robert, and Trixie (the house dog) again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Booked the room the for $330. The house was very cluttered and dusty. There were three dogs there. One rushed me barking and I screamed. After seeing the room I told the host that I couldn't stay because the dust had been bothering me since I walked in the front door. We never even sat our bags down. He told me that they would refund me fifty percent of our money. I wouldn't have stayed regardless. I did call booking.com to complain thinking they might compensate us, but all they did was put me on hold while they called the property owner. Of course he disagreed with my complaint. I'm baffled by the high number of five star reviews. I can't imagine that more people wouldn't take at least one star off. Something doesn't add up.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cecilia F
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Our stay at the House of 1833 far exceeded our expectations—and we were excited and expecting a lot! The house is gorgeous and fascinating from top to bottom, and the owners are knowledgeable and have many great stories to tell.

The room was so comfortable, we never wanted to leave—and it didn't hurt that the management supplied a carafe of cream sherry to make things even cozier.

The breakfast was world class, and the baking deserves special mention, and a shelf full of awards. We're counting the days until we return. It was an incredibly relaxing and luxurious weekend.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mystic
4.7 km away
Inn at Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic
6.7 km away
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to House of 1833? Share your experiences!