“ Was ok”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

First time having a steamed burger. It was ok. A little more seasoning wouldn't hurt. Fries were good.

Reviewed 17 October 2018

The crowd speaks for itself. This tiny place is usually packed but the keep things moving so there is never a long wait. Fresh buns, quality meat and cheese like no where else. A must stop when in the area.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

I waited for a long time to go back to Ted’s. I went solo because I was secretly wanting to enjoy my cheeseburger with zero distractions. And homefries just plain without cheese. When I got there, I could see no familiar faces. Ok. Time of day could have been a factor. However, the waitstaff was not as attentive as I remembered-well they were young; seemed inexperienced. Took away from the feel of a small, hometown place.
My homefries were kind of tossed at me but I was sitting at the counter. Kind of expected I guess. I do not remember not having someone having a conversation with me while I ate at the counter though. In the meantime while I waited for my cheeseburger, I had to separate the really burnt (non-edible) homefries from the so-so ones. (I used to love the homefries and ordered them instead of french fries because that is what you do when you eat at Ted’s.) The management seemed to care less.
My cheeseburger was next. Just the thought of it made my mouth water. When I took a bite, the bread was awful. I tried to ignore it. I could only handle a few bites. I ate my hambuger without the bread. The management seemed to care less.
The cheese. I remember it oozing from the sides of the bun. Again, disappointed. No flavor in the hamburger with cheese. I never had to season it before. It was that good.
Lesson learned. Ted’s as it had been was worth the wait. I do not know if anyone is cutting corners but if the “steamed cheeseburger experience” is what you want, do not expect an “ah ha” moment.
The experience was not the same as I remembered. :0(

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

A friend’s recommendation was worth the 25 minute drive! The burgers are steamed instead of fried. We also ordered the home fries, which are cooked a the griddle. It’s a quaint diner with a counter. If you sit near the steamed, you get a great view of the food being prepared cooked, but beware, the steam is close. Service was quick and food came quick as well.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Another great Meriden Hole in the wall joint that is fast, friendly and serves up a superb steamed cheeseburger! Actually the ORIGINAL steamed cheeseburger came from here! Featured on Food channels and it still lives up to the fame! Tiny and cute, lunch counter service and a few other tables makes it a fun time with great food. I prefer the steamed cheese with onion and ketchup because it gets to be too filling for me to add the burger...don't forget the fries! GREAT!

Date of visit: June 2018

Been to Ted's Restaurant? Share your experiences!