“Automatic Aromatic Hunger!”

Adolf's Meats & Sausage Ktchn
Ranked #52 of 444 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

Oh my...the aroma when you walk through the their heavily urbanized and unsuspecting front door of smoked meats, sausages, and cheese. I immediately start my "hunger engine" and never ponder the final tab.

We've been patrons of Adolf's since my German mother-in-law introduced us back in the '80's. Back then owned by a German immigrant family and somewhere in the 90's was sold to another family, but of Polish disent. However the high quality never faltered from owner to owner.

A trip in on a Saturday morning is like stepping across the border, I only wish I knew more of their language to interact. Not to be concerned, even with the broken english (not MINE!) you can easily place your order. You might need an interrupter when browsing the small and quaint grocery shelves and freezer section. I usually go by visuals and instinct.

On my most recent visit, I was stocking up for a "MarchToBierFeast" we have planned with friends. Brat's, Worst, jarred Red Cabbage, & fresh Sauerkraut were the key target. However, the fresh breads and slew of other meats and cheeses always get the "engine" running un-throttled! Fresh thin slices Pastrami, Cheeses (names lost), and smoked steak hanging in the open on the wall drove me to the brink. The smoked (aged) steak unbelievable & at $9.99/lb a treat to savor.

Reviewed 5 February 2017

I found this place by accident when I was looking for butcher shops.
I was happy I did.They have a wide selection of smoked meats ,deli meats,perogis,and other items I don't find anywhere else.They gave me some samples the first time I was there,and I was hooked.I stop in once in a while when I am in the area,and get my fix of kielbasa grillers,and something I would call jerky.It's hanging on the wall behind the counter.It's addicting..
The people behind the counter are super,and very helpful

Reviewed 31 January 2016

This establishment is one of a few and best shop of this genre arounf this part of the State. The lady behind the counter took much of her time answering our questions and explained the way she prepare Schweinshaxe (aka Eisbein). This was an old fashioned Deli/Butcher shop. We got Smoked Pork Shanks, Zimne Nogi, home-made Sauerkrauts, Polish Dill Pickles, a loaf of German Country-style Rye Bread. The lady gifted us with some Sausages. We are returning for some of their smoked fish and other items from the butcher shop.

1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 7 November 2015

My husband found this place when we were looking to get some good sausage for an Oktoberfest party. It was quite busy on Saturday, and took about 10 min before we were served. We were only impatient because it was our first time, this place is well worth the wait. The quality of food was excellent and the service was fantastic. Someone ahead of us got bacon which we hadn't planned on getting but after one of the employees told us it was fantastic we had to try it and we are glad we did! We will be back!

1  Thank SMC09
Reviewed 22 April 2015

Their black forest ham, which they smoke in-house, was superb. We brought a 5 lb home for Easter dinner.

1  Thank 783Paul