“Stop here when in Hartford”

Maple Giant Grinder & Pizza
Ranked #151 of 441 Restaurants in Hartford
Price range: USD 4 - USD 17
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 13 April 2016 via mobile

I grew up with this place and now live in a Western state. They just don't make grinders or for non Connecticut people subs like this anywhere else especially with roasted peppers and the style of the rolls. Also I always get a side of sausage onion and peppers

Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

The eggplant grinder was layered quite thickly with delicious sauce. I Iiked it better than the beef cutlet.
I agree they get a bit soggy but that didn't bother me. Try one!

1  Thank CtUSAMom
Reviewed 25 February 2016

had a combo mortedella ,cap, and genoa. excellent meat and the best bread ever.good service friendly staff

1  Thank Marlene M
Reviewed 4 August 2015

I have been coming to Maple Giant Grinder for over 25 years and absolutely love the food there. The current owners took over from the Puzzo family a few years ago and have not missed a beat. The current owners are the friendliest most accommodating people one could meet. The food is terrific. Their signature item is the beef cutlet grinder. The whole grinder can feed one for a week and even the half is too big for me. I get it on a hard roll with cheese and roasted peppers and it is plenty to eat. I like a lot other items - the pastas are great, arrancini are delicious and the pizza slices are awesome. Prices are very, very low. Also they have a great selection of sodas with seldom seen flavors like pineapple. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Equity
Reviewed 4 May 2015

This was my second time trying Maple Giant Grinder Shop and this time was absolutely horrendous. If this was my first time I would never return.

I had a coupon that I purchased and I just couldn’t wait until I could get there and order their beef cutlet grinder which is my favorite. I usually order this at their competitor but I purchased the coupon which I won’t be doing again.

I ordered the beef cutlet grinder which just the thought of eating it had me salivating. When I arrived home and unwrapped the grinder is was one big soggy mess. Wrapped loosely in one little piece of paper and it was just all limp and soggy so I put it in the toaster oven to crisp it up. The entire eating experience was just awful. I could only eat portions of the grinder as most of the meat was so unappetizing due to color and lots and lots of grizzle that I just tossed it in the garbage.

When I arrived home I called the shop and told the man whom I spoke to how soggy the grinder was and only loosely wrapped. He apologized and said this is the way they do it. Well they can keep doing it any way that that like because I won’t be returning. It isn’t even worth a discount with a coupon. Very, very, disappointing.