“Pleasant surprise ”

Rancho Viejo
Ranked #5 of 31 Restaurants in Granby
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We visited on Good Friday, needing a meatless meal to break our fast. Looked around the area we were in and came upon this wonderful find. From the outside it didn’t exactly jump out to us, as it is in a small mall type building near other convenience stores, but once inside, it was as delightful and bright, with pleasant Mexican music playing. The imported painted chairs and handcrafted wood benches all created an atmosphere that was so inviting. We were welcomed as soon as we arrived with a smile and a “Buenos Dias!”
The menu has everything and we can’t wait to return to try some of the yummy meat options.
We had their vegetarian options of fajitas and burritos and as you can tell from the picture they were amazingly presented and very tasty.
Can’t wait to return with the grandkids as it is definitely a family restaurant!

Reviewed 5 February 2018

I hate to review a place after just one visit, just two of us (often there's more to the group) and we didn't even have any appetizers (having taken things to nibble on to the nearby winery where we had spent a couple hours). That said, there's some things I am confident in saying. The menu is huge. Drink menu offers many options. The place is bright, colorful, very casual (and family friendly), festive, and packed on a Saturday at 630 when we arrived (and empty at 8 when we left, including the bar area). Menu has all the basics, some more involved things, including shrimp dishes. The free chips and salsa were decent. The margaritas were tasty and sizable ($12, you decide if that's too much). My wife's Mole' chicken enchiladas (2 for $13.25) was quality Mole, and the black beans were a step up from basic (had some flavor). The rice (for both dishes) is bland and forgettable. My fish tacos (3 for $14.25) were nice. Service was friendly (lots of "señor and senoritas), but maybe them being so busy is why we didn't have napkins or my wife didn't get water for a long time. Overall, like I judge restaurants that are so common (pizza, italian, chinese, mexican), my evaluation is based on how far you would bother driving to get there. This place, like others that are fine/ok/pleasant, is ok if you live nearby....a perfectly fine "it's Friday and we're tired" and you take the kids...but if there are other choices near you there's not a lot of reason to go out of your way to eat here. Also, many entrees are in the very upper teens...seems high.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Eventually I would need to check this place out . Its been around a long time. I was hesitant as so many said they thought this place was authentic then proceed to rave about the non-Mexican southwest food like burritos, chimichangas, Nachos, fajitas etc.

The only other three credible Mexican restaurants in the area that I have been to are El Sarape in Enfield and Hartford, Monte Alban and Coyote Flaco in Hartford . Every other purported Mexican restaurant might be very good TexMex but there is little Mexican about them. Heck, I can do better Mexican cuisine than most Mexican restaurants in this area armed with my Dianne Kennedy, Elizabeth Ortiz and Rick Bayless cookbooks.

Ranch Viejo has some redeeming features . I was greeted and sat promptly even as single diner . I was greeted at the table, served water, had my drink order taken quickly. Delicious warm chips and salsa arrived promptly as well. Service all through the meal was fine and prompt .

Drinks. Several margaritas . Including some foul ones made with that hideous sour mix (which should , IMHO, be banned from any drinking establishment with the possible exception of dive college bars) to ones made with the proper ingredients, tequila, lime juice, sweetening liqueur, salt and ice maybe. I had the Ultra which was very good if a little large. It would have been better if it was a little smaller so a better tequila might be used . Drink was good. Just don’t order two.

The menu is about 70 percent non-Mexican. That is southwest USA and TexMex including all the appetizers , fajitas, burritos, chimichangas , most of the grilled steak dishes, obvious burgers etc, and salads . Although many of the salads look interesting. There is a vegetarian section but in did not examine it closely. The enchiladas looked interesting and Mexican rather than TexMex as well but I wasn’t in the mood tonight. Open the menu to the centerfold and here you will find things while might not be 100 percent authentic are done in the style. Here you will find moles, stews , asada, chili and rice dishes with chicken, pork, beef and seafood . Most looked intriguing although not sure about the cheese atop the Arozz Con Pollo. Anyway i ordered the Acapulco Mole which said was made with chilies slow simmered as it should be. There was warning about it containing peanut butter. Normally moles contain a fair quantity of finely ground nuts. I was unsure of the peanut butter substitution but it worked. The mole was very good. Deeply flavorful from the chilies, peanut butter and indeed this one did have chocolate (not all do). It was however over salted. It didn’t ruin it by any means but a little lighter hand with the salt would help. The chicken pieces were strips of chicken breast which were just ok. It might be better if chicken thigh was used . The dish was very good and I enjoyed it. I am also happy to report that no cheese touched that plate of mole nor should it . Reasonably authentic. The accompany rice was very good with just right amount of seasonings. The dish of whole pinto beans was excellent . A savory sauce of chilies, onions and seasonings was perfect .

The platters at other tables of the Tex-mex and Southwest USA fair looked better than average but were huge and they were what they were. So if that’s your style better to come here than a chain restaurant .

Atmosphere is open, good for groups, lots of cheesy beer promotional items etc but pleasant enough . Not the place for a romantic date although you certainly have fun and some good food.

1  Thank ctjustdoit
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Had a delicious Mexican meal. Wait staff was exceptionally accommodating to our large birthday party. Wait staff was attentive--keeping the beverages and salsa & chips coming as we waited for our meals to arrive. The menu offered quite a bit of variety for pleasing everyone in the crowd. I selected the "Fajita steak Quesadilla" which was mucho delisioso! My family and I are already planning a return trip to start 2018 off right--well worth the drive from West Hartford. Thank you Rancho Viejo--see you soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

Had an enormous Macho Burrito with all the fixings for just $10 off the lunch menu. This is the place where people from south of the border eat.

Been to Rancho Viejo? Share your experiences!