“Terrific food in a lovely atmosphere”
Review of J Fuji

J Fuji
Ranked #22 of 80 Restaurants in Bethel
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

I have eaten lunch and dinner at J Fuji many times over the years and was once again delighted at lunch today. I don’t know why I was so surprised to yet again enjoy great food and friendly service in this cozy hole in the wall size restaurant today - but I suppose it is because so many restaurants flag over time or lose their specialness. It’s great to be able to sit in a small, intimate restaurant and still be able to have private conversation in peace, while still getting kind and attentive service. And somehow today, the fact that it felt familiar but still charming really made my day - maybe because it is still a quality experience and it is reassuring that some good things really can last. Well, that and...the food was terrific. (How did I manage to forget how good it always is?) I had the miso soup which was rich with generous portions of both seaweed and tofu and the broth itself was tasty. The house salad had fresh, crisp iceberg lettuce and the ginger dressing was excellent - not too heavy and not watery either. But the main dish was the happiest surprise. The Ma La Seafood was served with fresh cauliflower, asparagus and red bell pepper all seasoned in a delicate but gently spicy Ma La sauce with ample portions of tender scallops and shrimp. I have a big appetite - and with the white rice (brown rice is available if you’d rather) served with this dish, I finished my meal and was satiated but didn’t have that disgusting overstuffed or MSG feeling that can haunt this kind of food. (By the way, the sushi here is excellent, but I was not in a sushi mood.) Whether you’re looking for a place to have a leisurely meal and catch up with an old friend or two (or three), grab a quick bite to eat, or order take-away - J Fuji delivers on all counts if you have a hankering for Chinese or Japanese cuisine.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank innerfairy

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

If you are in the mood for Asian food, this is the place to go. We make a stop at least once a week and every trip has been fantastic. The food is always perfect and the service is great. The sushi melts in your mouth and the General Tso’s chicken is made to perfection.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I was thrilled when I found out the ginger dressing was NOT filled with mayonnaise, as most other places in the area now serve. They have decided to go for cheap fillers vs authentic ginger dressing:( So sad. The asians don't even eat mayonnaise! urgh.

We tasted the salad and dropped our forks. Stale something. Didn't help that there was no mayo.

Our server was not able to answer any questions about anything, and she is the daughter of the owner:(

We got up and left, not even feeling kind enough to pay for the salad. It was that bad.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank sds
Reviewed 16 December 2016

Great sushi and service. Been going here for years and is the only sushi restaurant we patronize on a regular basis. Friendly staff and they never forget a name!! Strongly recommend. Quaint and delicious.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 12 November 2016

I enjoy the food here, other friends also speak well of the food and staff.

One pet peeve I have with so many Asian places- you ask for pork fried rice instead of white rice with your General Tso's chicken (or any meal) and they say that they can't do that, and I will have to pay $8 more for pork fried rice.
C'mon!!
I would have rated as excellent if they would just give me pork fried rice instead of white.

Date of visit: June 2016

Been to J Fuji? Share your experiences!