“Good beer, at least”

The Basement
Ranked #50 of 75 Restaurants in Winter Park
Cuisines: Bar
Reviewed 2 January 2017

We were there for a Breckenridge tap takeover, so the beer was excellent. We went Friday night for karaoke, and did not eat. I saw they have a kitchen, but no one was eating when we were there. It's a nice enough place, karaoke was fun, but $6 beers is more expensive than I expected.

Reviewed 12 July 2016

Stopped in for a drink on the way to dinner and ended up staying all night playing cards against humanity. Drinks were well made, well priced, and abundant! Cheers!

Reviewed 16 March 2015

We went one night to listen to a live band with our just out of college age kids. Everyone there was very young except for us! We had some drinks, did some dancing and everyone was friendly. It's small but had some comfortable sofa's to sit in and the kids and us had a fun couple hours.

1  Thank smokeymom
Reviewed 16 December 2014

My lady and I found the Basement while waling around Winter Park. It wasn't the easiest the thing to notice from the road (maybe something they should work on), but we saw a little flashing open sign, and since there wasn't much else going on in October, we decided to see what it was all about.

First, thing is the entrance was a little strange. There isn't a lot in it (at least not when we were there), and it's not really the most welcoming, but it definitely gives the feeling of a dive bar (which isn't bad). We turned the corner to enter the main bar area, we discovered something quite a bit different.

What we found was a nice little cozy bar. There's some old prohibition art on the wall. There was some nice crooner style music playing softly, and one a projection screen there was some old Three Stooges movies playing. Looking on the outside of this place you would have never guessed what was on the inside.

There didn't seem to be much going on that night (to be fair, it was the off season in a resort town. It was one of the few places that was open at all). The bartender was really happy to talk to us about anything and everything we wanted (especially things related to Batman haha...seriously, he could probably have gone on for days about it), but he didn't hover and cramp us (he seemed happy to just keep watching the Stooges on the screen when we were talking to ourselves). We really felt that we found a hidden gem (although I can't imagine "hidden" is a good business model) and something almost exclusive.

At any rate, we had ordered some drinks, well was fine (turns out their well whiskey is Jim Beam, sweet!) and we probably stayed longer than we would meant to, but the bill was cheaper than we thought it might be (also maybe a questionable business mode).

We'll definitely be back if we're in town again. We'd like to check out their karaoke night (be warned, the bartender said if he hears anyone sing "Friend in Low Places" one more time he's burning the whole place to the ground) and see what it's like when it's a little more busy. Admittedly, we enjoyed the intimate atmosphere a lot.

It looked like he had food, we didn't have any, but it didn't look like anything to write home about. Just normal pub grub type stuff. However, it is nice to know someone has something after everything else closes in the town (I think there's a little sandwich cart up the road that has late night food as well). So that's good to keep in mind.

So Pros- Nice atmosphere, no overbearing music, decent prices. Fun staff (well, at least the one guy that was there)

Cons- hard to find. A little sketchy at first once you do (seriously keep going tho, you won't regret it). My girl said the womens restrooms were fine for a place like this, but I would say the mens room could use a little work.

All in all, a nice little find.

Reviewed 15 December 2014

Friday is Karaoke night at The Basement and it was such a blast! Weather or not it was a group of people or one person singing it was a lot of silly fun. Bartenders were talkative and helpful and drink specials were nice if you needed a little encouragement to get up there and sing your favorite song (I admit I did). Over all - a very good night for me and my friends!