“Still the finest place in Vail”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
St. Maarten-St. Martin
“Still the finest place in Vail”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

There are so many choices for hotels and lodging in Vail. The Sonnenalp Resort remains my personal favorite. From a sincere welcome from the valet, an efficient check in from the smiling reception desk, a courteous maintenance man who happened to be on the elevator, to a warm greeting from the owner while dining at the Bully Ranch- They really do it right.

The Sonnenalp exudes old world, but everything is kept modern and tidy. The rooms are warm and cozy, I had 2 beds, a fireplace and a nice seating area, along with an open balcony.

Turn down service included warm cookies and fresh filtered water.

Amenities are fine spa amenities, in proper, full size dispensers. No wasting the mini's here.
The bath towels and robes are plush, Turkish feeling terry.

Breakfast in the hotel is a locals' favorite and it is obvious why. Warm greetings, beautiful room, genuine fresh fruit and pastry, plus really tasty breakfast items make this room stand out above others.

Many newer properties in the area would probably love to take the staff away from this establishment. They are great.

I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 November 2011

So impressed with the Sonnenalp Resort- kind and welcoming staff, perfect location, great rooms. I stayed at the Sonnenalp during the summer and it was such a blast. I can't wait to get back up this winter!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Thank you for your visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Happy Thanksgiving.
javaruke
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Three girlfriends spent the weekend at the Sonnenalp to celebrate a milestone birthday. From the time I booked the reservation, to the time we left, the customer service was unparalleled. Prior to arrival, the concierge offered to have the pastry chef prepare a special cake. We had a delicious custom cake created which was delivered to our room after dinner, as requested. Upon arrival, there was a complimentary bottle of wine and card for the birthday girl. The suites have a huge bathroom with heated floors with the most counter space I have ever seen in a hotel bathroom ( bonus for three ladies staying in the same room.) The breakfast buffet was bountiful and they even gave us a to go box so we could grab some goodies for the road on our last day there. The spa services were excellent with a great selection of innovative products for sale. Everyone was friendly, courteous and helpful. We were there during their shoulder season and enjoyed fantastic rates, but that obviously didn't negatively impact the level of service. We are already scheming how we can get back every year....milestone birthday or not!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank John R
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
I delighted to hear that you took advantage of the special rates and packages we offer during non peak periods. The Sonnenalp never closes during shoulder season periods and we work hard to offer the Sonnenalp experience year around regardless of seasonal up and downs.
Thank you for your visit.
Fayetteville, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I was so impressed with the exceptional staff training at this hotel. We received five star service from every staff member we encountered. All staff were friendly and accommodating and had the perfect touch for interacting with guests. Dinner at the Swiss Chalet, the fondue restaurant, was very enjoyable. The radiant heated floors in the bathrooms were a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
thank you.
With all the things we try hard to do well at the Sonnenalp, our staff performance is the most important measure of our success to us. We are very proud of our team and I am grateful if I can pass on good feedback.
Seattle
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at the Sonnenalp 10/17/11-10/23/11 and it exceeded my expectations in all ways. I had my arm in a sling and was a special needs customer (potentially grumpy customer). The staff at the Sonnenalp was unfailingly charming and very helpful to me . My 1 bdrm suite was bright and cheerful with huge closets, a luxurious bathroom, a sweet dining nook, cool vaulted ceilings, and provided every last thing I could ask for from a hotel. One would have to be pretty spoiled and petty to find fault with the room I stayed in.

I did read a review that seemed unfair to me and I would like to offer up my counter opinion to the people who complained about some in-room ammenities. Specifically, if you expect to find things like washing machines and dryers in the hotel and expect full kitchenettes then maybe you should opt for a condo. Of course you'll lose the convenience of room service, unbeatable location, the exceptional spa, lobby bar, library, and 4 restaurants along with the other niceties this hotel offers. Still, it seems unreasonable to check into a hotel and then complain when it's not run as a condominium
The Sonnenalp does a great job and I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post this message. I am delighted to read that your stay was enjoyable. I appreciate your comment regarding a full service hotel versus a condominium.