1,299 results
All reviews gore creek private lift infinity pool ski lift hot tub self parking off season hotel shuttle walking path free shuttle resort fee fire pit hotel restaurant ski resort beautiful property great room mountain view
Reviewed 9 February 2018

We stayed at the recently remodeled Hotel Talisa last weekend. We were impressed upon initial arrival as we've stayed many, many times at Cascade Resort over the years, however, our first impression immediately went downhill fast upon checkin. After fighting hours of traffic coming from Denver, we finally arrive on Friday at 7pm. At checkin, they told me they had me down for one king room and that I only had 1 adult listed in my reservation. We are a family of 4 with two teenagers. I had booked the reservation over the phone and requested two queens. Luckily, I had my email confirmation showing the two requested queens, however, I'm not sure why the woman had put down one adult? At either rate, they told me the hotel was completely sold out and they only had the one king room left We were freaking out, envisioning sleeping in our car or driving back down to Denver. The thing that really irked me was how they made me FEEL about their mistake. They really made me feel badly about it, like it was my fault. I finally told them (after having to show them proof of the original confirmation) that they needed to figure it out - either put us in a larger room or give us two hotel rooms. They grudgingly gave us two hotel rooms.

Finally, we were shown to our rooms and we tried to put that bad unwelcome behind us. I have to say the rooms are really lovely. You will be impressed. They've done a fantastic job decorating. Everything is mountain modern with teal and neutral colors that are on trend now. There are plenty of drawers and a mini fridge is provided. It's an honor bar but you can take the items out of the fridge w/o cost to you and put in your own beverages.

The bathroom is tastefully done however, it was definitely designed by a man in that there was hardly any counter space, zero shelves and zero drawers. I had to store most of my toiletries/makeup in the bedroom. One other little complaint... Saturday after skiing and apres, around 5:30pm when probably the entire hotel is showering before dinner, we had zero hot water. We literally took cold showers (not fun). We called to complain and they were already aware of this. Perhaps it's a daily occurrence but they really need to figure that one out. At $750/night, I think everyone deserves a hot shower.

Back to the bedroom, the bed, linens, and pillow are all of very high quality and very comfortable. What was not comfortable, however, was the room temperature. Our daughters were on the 4th floor, we were on the 5th, and both of our rooms were terribly hot at night. We turned our heat completely off but for some reason, they took away the cranks on the windows so you are not able to open the windows. We noticed some rooms had balconies which you would easily be able to open up those doors but not the regular hotel rooms. Sure hope they allow you to open the windows come summer. The bed had a huge gorgeous duvet on it that would be wonderful to get under in a room of 60 degrees. Our room never got below 72 degrees. Because of this, we all slept horribly.

That's it for the negatives (sorry about that but had to be honest), now on to the positives. The lobby is a great gathering spot with live music every afternoon. They also had free hot cocoa for the kids and champagne for the adults. We loved that touch. There are two hot tubs so if one is busy, try the other.

We ate at Gessner restaurant and we were blown away by the quality there! Very pricey, like much of Vail, but unlike other fine dining restaurants in Vail (we've eaten at them all), the quality and service at Gessner actually matched the price. Imagine that! Highly recommend.

The ski valet is awesome! It's so nice to have the chairlift right outside and not have to wait in Gondola One line. Our boots were dry and warm when stored overnight. They guys working here do a fabulous job and we experienced the best customer service of the entire weekend.

Overall, I think once they work out a few of their issues, this will be a hotel to consider in Vail. They'll get there. In the meantime, perhaps not worth the price quite yet. We will give it another chance but maybe next year.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
JGarthVail, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, A Luxury Collection Resort, Vail, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Dear cpmurphyboy,

I apologize that your experience with us was less than perfect, and for that I take full responsibility as we did not fulfill our commitment to offering an exceptional experience. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you specific comments, as well as, personally extend our sincerest apologies in hopes we can make this right in the future for you. Thank you for your specific feedback regarding reservations, hot water, and your initial greeting upon arrival, as your comments will be shared with our team as an opportunity to improve our performance and to ensure these mistakes on our part are not repeated.

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding Gessner, our renovation and location upon Gore Creek with access to Vail Mountain via our on-property ski lift, Chair 20!

If you’re amenable to the outreach, would you kindly provide the best number to reach you and your preferred time for me to call at jgarth@hoteltalisa.com or 970-479-7028? While we have just recently opened, we hold ourselves accountable for a luxury experience for our guests, and there is no excuse for not delivering upon this standard.

We apologize that your stay with us fell short of your expectations and ours.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

This hotel is located at the west end of Vail resort. The hotel has been completely refurbished, and many of the touches are quite nice. There are some things that the hotel does very well, including (in most cases) really wanting to be responsive to guest requests.

One of the best features of the hotel is the ability to ski in and out. They also have a great system that allows guests to rent their ski equipment right on premises. At the end of the day, you simply hand your skis to the attendant at the entrance to the hotel, take your boots off and hand them to someone who puts them on a dryer, and up to your room you go. Really fantastic service. The staff at the ski shop are really great and service oriented. They are also knowledgeable.

The hotel has struggled with their elevators, and we also experienced the same issue. Instead, we were re-routed to the service elevator to go upstairs. Not ideal, but got the job done.

We did not rent a car, and instead used the shuttle service provided by the hotel to go into Vail Village. The drivers were pleasant and responsive any time we requested a lift.

We rented the Gore Creek Suite, and it is large and quite nice. There are still some finishes there that they need to fix, including the fact that the living room is quite dark. But overall, a very nice suite with a King bedroom and lovely bath, and a separate bedroom with two queens and nice bath. It would be a very pleasant choice for a family.

The maid service was excellent and extremely thorough. We really appreciated it.

Overall, a very nice experience with a few hiccups that made it not quite perfect. Having said that, I would recommend this property to people staying in Vail.

Room Tip: Gore Creek Suite is a good choice for families.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank PRPJSP
Reviewed 28 January 2018

I'm writing this on the second day of a stay at Hotel Talisa. First the positives:

- Rooms are generally comfortable, in particular the beds as others have noted.

- Location has its pluses and minuses but for ski-in/ski-out is excellent. The base of the lift is literally steps from the door of the hotel.

- The public areas (those that are open) are nicely done.

- Service is accommodating; they really seem to be trying very hard and mostly succeeding.

But there are negatives, especially given the properties they are trying to compete with (Four Seasons, Sonnenalp):

- In just about every area, they have not paid much attention to details. In the rooms, in particular, there is not enough storage space, the closet is very small, no hooks to hang ski gear, no storage space in the bathroom -- just the ledge on the single sink, etc.

- The public areas are just barely large enough to handle a capacity crowd. The hotel is not sold out but the hot tub after ski had a line of people waiting to get in, and it was impossible to find a place to sit in the lobby/bar area. The lobby is also very noisy between the live music and the crowds, making it difficult to have a conversation if sitting with a group.

- Many key facilities of the hotel are still not open 2 months after opening. This borders on deception because they are not advising guests in advance. Examples: no spa, no fitness room, many elevators out of service. All of these are advertised as available on the web site. They do provide access to a run down spa across the street but it is not nearly at the level they are aiming for with this property.

I would not recommend this property at the moment if you are paying cash, but with SPG points it is a good value and I would recommend it. I assume by next year the property will be completed at which point maybe it would be more competitive with others at the same price level in Vail. But for now I would take the Four Seasons over Hotel Talisa without hesitation.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are small with views of walls and satellite dishes. It is probably worth the incremental cost for Deluxe rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank MikeBOS
JGarthVail, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, A Luxury Collection Resort, Vail, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Dear, Mr. Bos.

I apologize that your experience with us was sub-par and for that I take full responsibility as we did not fulfill our commitment to an exceptional experience. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss you specific notes further and to personally extend our sincerest apologies and earn your trust in hopes we can make this right in the future for you.

I’m glad to hear that you see the positives at the hotel as we are incredibly happy to be opened after our transformation to welcome guests.

In terms of your observations for improvement for some finishing touches – we do understand your feedback. The unforeseen mechanical problems with the hotel are inexcusable and we are working diligently to ensure everything is performing at maximum potential.

The Spa, Talisa Tykes, Caneel Salon and Here+Now Boutique are in their final stages of construction and we are truly sorry for the delay in those projects. The completion of these amenities is expected in the very near future that will culminate in the completion of the entire hotel.

I will be sharing the feedback regarding the music as well to our team as we can make immediate actions on the volume control as well and have our team gauge our guests’ feedback in real time to ensure that is kept at a comfortable volume.

Again, thank you for your insightful feedback and on behalf of the entire Hotel Talisa family, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Area Managing Director

Reviewed 24 January 2018

The hotel does have access, but it is not ideal, as you can go to the mountain, but you can't come off the mountain (at least if there's not a lot of snow). It takes the luxury of staying on the mountain away, as it is a bit of a hassle to get back. You have to schlep along way to the shuttle. The hotel was renovated, and I am sad that they didn't do a ski lodge feel, but rather could be a corporate hotel anywhere. The room service was terrible, as they don't answer the phone. The first time my food came cold, and not what I ordered, the second time it felt like they heated it up in the microwave and tasted like rubber. The spa is not good - you have to walk out in the snow to get to it, and my person was awful. My keys never worked, and it is a big pain to get new ones. The beds and showers are amazing, which I guess is the most critical. Anyway, for the price, there's better.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Sondra W
JGarthVail, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, A Luxury Collection Resort, Vail, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Dear, Sondra W.

Thank you for sharing the candid feedback from your stay with us, and I am sorry that we fell short of our commitment and your expectation for exceptional service in a luxury hotel. Your specific comments regarding your room service and key cards will be addressed today with those specific leaders so this does not happen again. We regret to hear that you feel the hotel could be one anywhere as our design team incorporated specific design element and inspiration from interior design ambassadors rooted in Vail’s history and the local area – the Adventurer, the Ute Indian and the Artisan. Many of the design details, textures and natural materials are inspired to reflect the mountain environment in which we call home. We are pleased that you were able to stay with us to experience the renovation though, and enjoy the new beds and showers.

Our mountain access, unfortunately, like other access points in Vail – was impacted by the snow conditions this year. This is highly unprecedented and does not reflect the normal operation. This is the first time in over the last 25 years that Cascade Way – the run leading to our hotel – has not been open prior to mid-December. Typically the target date for full ski-in/ski-out access is between Thanksgiving Day and mid-December as a reference point. We are terribly sorry that this year was outside of the norm during your stay. We would love nothing more than to influence nature to ensure those conditions are met for our guests.

Again – I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback, and I we would greatly wish to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for an exceptional stay. If your travels bring you back to Vail in the future, please contact me directly at 970.479.7028 or jgarth@hoteltalisa.com.

970.479.7028

Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

So many perks!! This hotel is ski in- ski out. The chairlift starts at an easy blue “Simba” which leads to the Gondola and another lift. Perfect access to the mountain! Venture Sports is located in the hotel and the service is exceptional. You can rent any ski equipment your heart desires. Food is overpriced for quality but you are in Vail. The staff in the restaurant is top notch and very accommodating. There is a market cafe where you can get snacks, Starbucks, crescents, muffins etc and is reasonably priced. They open at 6:30, wish they opened a little earlier for those of us traveling from the East coast. There is free hot chocolate and apple cider from 3-6 which is such a nice touch. There is also live music and Apres Sabering - champagne toast in the afternoon. It is a family friendly hotel though we didn’t have young children with us there appeared to be many activities for children. There were also s’mores by the fire at night but we were unable to attend but still a nice touch! Hotel rooms are very quiet and comfy. There is no fridge or microwave. It’s cold enough outside to keep your drinks cold and there is a microwave in the market. There is a heated outdoor pool and hot tub on site. Rooms have slippers and robes that can be worn down to the jacuzzi. There is a shuttle that will take you to Lions Head and Vail Village. We never waited more than 5 mins for the shuttle. It wasn’t very busy so one night the driver actually took us to the restaurant in Vail village that we were dining. Great customer service! The concierge was so helpful in getting us dinner reservations and offering suggestions. The staff at this hotel is very friendly and helpful. Such a great stay in Vail. Away from all the hustle and bustle but just a short ride away when you want to be in the Vail mix. I would highly recommend this hotel for your ski get away to Vail!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family