All reviews ski valet bedroom suite nespresso machine huge bathroom valet staff soaking tub glass wall mini kitchen four seasons mountain sports turn down service amazing hotel top of the line washer dryer assay hill off season aspen area
Reviewed 21 March 2015

You can't beat the valets and ski in ski out experience at the Viceroy Snowmass. Whether it's helping with your ski boots, Après Ski snacks & beverages or shuttles to run you anywhere you'd like to go in Snowmass, the Viceroy is ready & willing to accommodate. We would have liked a better view of the mountain & all of the paper products (toilet paper, paper towels & tissue) were sub par, but we'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Dan, one of the shuttle valets went out of his way to be available to take and pick us up. The staff was attentive & courteous & we stayed during a very full spring break.

We took our 70 lb lab and housekeeping was wonderful about cleaning when we took her out of the room & the resort provided a bed & dog bowls.

The 8K bar/restaurant is amazing & Ricard (owned by the Viceroy) has a beautiful ambience & menu.

I highly recommend a stay at the Viceroy Snowmass.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank beachclass
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2015

Dear beachclass,

I am delighted to read the review of your recent stay and to hear about how much you enjoyed the location and valet/ski valet services! We are also a pet friendly hotel and love to hear that our pet amenities make it that much more convenient to bring your extended family with you! We hope to see you again very soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 18 March 2015

I recently stayed with my family (2 young children) for the second time at the Viceroy Snowmass. We stayed over spring break so the hotel was close to capacity. While it is a good hotel it isn't quite good enough to be great (we have also stayed at the St Regis in Aspen and Four Seasons in Jackson for comparison). On the positive side the hotel has the best ski in ski out access in Aspen/Snowmass, the ski valet is very attentive, the pool is ideal for kids and the 2 bedroom rooms are well laid out for families. In addition the restaurant food is good, the staff friendly and the hotel generally well appointed. On the downside service (room service, turn down, shuttle to village base, concierge) is not quite good enough for a 5 star resort, the spa is a little too busy to be relaxing and you aren't in Aspen central. Outside of the hotel ski school in Snowmass is good, (although i would recommend private lessons for first timers/young kids as classes can be big limiting ski time), there are a number of good family restaurants within walking distance and there are lots of additional activities (dog sledding, tubing etc). Overall up there as one of the better family ski locations but probably not good enough to be the best.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family

Dear Ben D,

Thank you for your review, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Viceroy Snowmass with your family. It sounds as though you were able to experience the surrounding area and activities while you traveled with your family, and all the amenities of a ski-in/ski-out resort. We trust we will have the opportunity to welcome your family back in the very near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 16 March 2015

Great location. Concierge was great setting up ski school, reservations proactively. Nice having a fridge, stove, washing machine, washer/dryer.

The cons are:
* wait staff / service is very weak; finding wait staff that care in the mountains is probably not an ease feat
* $100+ for them to shuttle you into aspen (other places provide shuttle service) and back. Limited our desire to take trips into town.
* most of the valet staff is pleasant, a couple of cranky drivers that are very unpleasant
* pool is a zoo after skiing

For our next trip, we'd probably stay at the Westin if we didn't go condo. Less expensive, also easy slope access, in the mall.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank SlowFlight

Dear SlowFlight,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and to pass along your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy our location, room amenities and concierge service. We do offer complimentary rides from the hotel to any location in the Snowmass area, but as is typical with resorts outside the town limits of Aspen, we do charge a $55 fee each way. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another stay in order to change your perspective on a few of your experiences.

Reviewed 12 March 2015

Days before check-in we were contacted by the concierge who helped up to arrange airport transfers, and to schedule meals and activities while staying at the resort. When we landed at ASE there is a driver waiting to greet us at the arrival gate, help us with luggage, and drive us to the resort. There were some issues with our luggage but I will get to that later. The front desk staff was pleasant confirmed our room type and offered upgrade options (for an appropriate price).

We arrived at noon so as expected our room wasn’t ready. Within an hour we received a call from the front desk letting us know our room was ready. We were assigned to unit 237, a 1 bedroom / 1 Bathroom condo with a view of the valley, not necessarily the best room view but stunning none the less. I can’t imagine any of the rooms have a bad view.

The condo was well appointed. A lot of thought and money went into the finishes and design of the space. It was a bit ‘trendy’ for my taste but nice all the same. Even though these are individually owned condos, they are all furnished, decorated, and maintained by the resort management which results in a consistent experience regardless of the unit you are assigned. As opposed to other properties where each individual owner decorates and furnishes their condo and you don’t know what you are going to get till you check in.

My primary complaint about the rooms/condos is that they are small, very small. And although a 1 bedroom unit is designed to sleep upto 4, I would not suggest it. With only two people we were tripping over each other and the furniture. The bathroom on the other hand was enormous, I wish they would have exchanged some of the bath square footage with the living/sleeping area.

I often got confused navigating the hotel, primarily because the lobby is actually on the 4th floor; the Ski Valet/Slopes are on the 3rd; the Spa and meeting rooms on the 1st. Our room was on the 2nd floor and I kept getting in the down elevator to go “down” to the Lobby or Ski Valet/Slopes. This was simply my ignorance and not actually a problem with the hotel.

The resort had great amenities. 85 degree outdoor heated swimming pool, poolside cabanas with fire pits, pool side drink service. There were two hot tubs, which were a bit small and unable to accommodate the number of users in the après ski hours. Our issue with the hot tubs, besides them being too small was the fact that the bubble/jets were not working. When we told the poolside waitress about the issue with the jets she had engineering at the pool within 10 minutes, but he was not able to fix it. I still have to applaud the waitress for her prompt effort to get it resolved.

On the 3rd floor is Four Mountain Sports, an equipment rental and retail shop owned and operated Aspen Skiing Company. If you are a guest of the Viceroy, this is the most convenient location to obtain your rental ski equipment. Though know you are getting the same low grade level of rental equipment that Four Mountain Sports supplies at all their other shops. You would almost think that an upscale resort with the upscale cliental would include a more exclusive rental shop with higher end equipment. Although the equipment was lacking the SERVICE was superb. The best thing about this facility was the boot valet. Stop in the shop before heading to the slopes and the staff will grab your boots (even if you didn’t rent from them), and help you put them on. After the first day or two the staff remembers you and grabs for your boots as soon as you walk in the door. They even store your street shoes while you are out on the slopes. At the end of the day you reverse the process.

Slope side, the attentive Four Mountain Sports staff operates a ski valet. You walk out give them your name, then they grab your skis from a rack and carry them out to the snow and help you click in. When you ski back to the hotel, staff immediately greets you, and pick you skis up from the snow. Then they store them till you are ready to go back out. And if you are skiing one of the other mountains (i.e. Aspen, Highlands, or Buttermilk) they will transfer your skis so that they are waiting for you at the appropriate mountain in the morning.

I was lucky enough to use the Spa during my visit to the Viceroy. The staff of extremely pleasant and attentive. The facilities were nice, but it would have been nice to have a steam room and dry sauna. I enjoyed the classical music playing in the treatment room, refreshing change to the ‘new age’ sounds typically piped into most spas.

The purpose of our visit to the Viceroy was for a conference. I have to say that the meeting facilities on the 1st floor were fantastic. I hate to keep repeating myself, but the staff was extremely pleasant and attentive. The best part was when they served lunch we were able to ski directly to the first floor and Salon 1 where lunch was being served. When lunch was over we skied back out and down to the Assay Hill lift.

Sometimes the staff was too attentive. For example, each evening when we returned from Dinner magic fairies snuck into the room and performed turndown service; which included folding our the sofa bed in the living room. This was great except when you wanted to bring guest back to the room to entertain and there was a bed in the living room (makes a client or coworker question your intentions). This was easily corrected by placing the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door on subsequent evenings.

Overall the resort was a bit secluded from the rest of the Base Village. Of course there were pros and cons to this. On the pro side this made the resort feel more quiet and exclusive. The cons are now you have to walk up hill (both ways) or take a shuttle to the Village for shopping, dining, and group ski lessons. This could be an inconvenience for families taking the little ones to the Treehouse for lessons in the morning. That after dinner golf cart ride from Ricards was brisk (thank goodness the bed was turned down and ready to jump in).

Now onto my final complaint… When we landed at ASE our luggage was nowhere to be found, apparently this is a common occurrence at ASE. We were greeted by the Viceroy driver who indicated to us that he had spoken with the airline and they indicated that our luggage would be arriving at 3:00pm. He instructed us to go to the hotel and that a driver would pick up our luggage during the afternoon run. 3:00pm came and went, 4:00pm, 5:00pm the valet staff still has not found our luggage. Finally I called the airline. They immediately asked why I didn’t place a claim with the baggage agent at the airport. Well because the Viceroy driver told be to get in the car and he would take care of it. The airline assures me that our luggage landed in Vail (EGE) at noon and was trucked to Aspen (ASE). I go back up to the valet to inquire about our bags and they assured me that they looked and our bags are nowhere to be found. Back on the phone with the airline and a rep from India, or Atlanta, or wherever. Finally at 6pm I get a call from the agent at ASE, “your bags are here stop calling my bosses.” Back down to the valet, they make another trip to the airport, and comeback to tell me that they spoke to the agent at the airport and our bags are still at EGE and will be in route to ASE. Back to the phone; call the information desk at ASE (the only number I could find), they transfer me to the baggage rep who assures me that my bags have been in her possession since early that afternoon. Now it’s close to 10pm MST, I’ve been up and traveling since 3:30am EST (20 hours). Back down to the valet, this time I make them take me to the airport with them (should have done this 6 hours earlier). The driver walks in with me looks around for 30 seconds and says “see your bags aren’t here.” I go to the counter and show my claim tickets (the valet also had a copy of my claim tickets), the agent behind the counter responds in a short tone of voice, “your bags have been here waiting for you.” Obviously she was annoyed by the calls she kept getting from me and the airline. Further she assured me that no one from the Viceroy staff ever approached her, and she never indicated to anyone that the bags were being trucked from Vail. So the thing that upsets me most is that the Valet lied and said that they spoke to someone at the airport. And had I not gone down with them on that last trip, they would have come back empty handed again. Moral of the story – take responsibility for your own luggage and don’t leave it up to the valet staff.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank ssmith9

Dear ssmith9,

Thank you for your complete review of the Viceroy Snowmass and your recent business trip stay. I am delighted to hear that you were able to experience so much of what our resort has to offer while you were here and were really able to take advantage of these amenities. I would like to apologize for the mix up with your luggage and the inconvenience this caused you when you first arrived. I assure you it is not typical to have the lack of follow up regarding missing luggage that you experienced and trust that we will have the opportunity to change your perception of this in the very near future. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2015

If you are looking for a five star ski resort (and you are used to four seasons, st regis etc), do not go to viceroy. I have paid a non refundable 600 dollars daily rate more than 6 months in advance.
1) Rooms: in genreal, they are ok. Very small but good furniture and good floor plan. Space is well divided.
2) Location: Very Good - a real ski in and out.
3) Hotel infrastructure: 2 elevators for a bunch of guests. Expect lines for the elevator, specially in busy hours. A luxury resort needs more than 2 elevators for the number of guests they have. Pool is crowded. Stayed for 7 nights and did not go to the pool a single day. Completely crowded with lots of children making a huge mess. Also, Ski valet does not support the number of people in hotel. It is also crowded, lines to get skis, lack of staff for the number of guests. Not a luxury hotel.
4) Service: unbelievably terrible. The oldest person in the staff (i.e. the manager) is prob. less than 40 years old and the rest less than 30. No experience, no training at all. Young inexperienced staff trying to operate a "five" star hotel. From the third day on you may quit trying to get anything from hotel personnel. You are on your own.
Some illustrative examples: (i) in the second night they simply lost all my groceries. YES, i went to the supermarket, spent 150 in groceries (i don't really enjoy doing groceries) and dropped the bags with the bell boy (who is a kid that has no idea of what being a bell boy is). Gave him 20 dollars to take up to my room. Went out for dinner. Groceries never arrived. Best of all: it took me around 60 minutes to convince the front desk that they lost all my groceries (as if I am trying to steal 150 bucks in groceries). I quit trying to solve by phone. They say they will return and they do nothing. I go down (I on my pajamas). Manager looks at me and asks if I am sure that the groceries are not in the room (well, its a 300 sqf room - i think i would have noticed). I am so pissed that i take him upstairs and tell him to go find them. I told him the bell boy delivered to the wrong room (which seemed pretty obvious even for a 2-year old at that point), but he told me that if that happened the guest in the wrong room would have called. After around 60 minutes or so (from the first phone call), they get convinced that they lost my groceries. I did all the shopping again and they refunded me for the second groceries. I leave the receipt at the front desk. 2 days later the manager asks me if I would give him the receipt. I tell him that I've done so 2 days ago. At this point he is totally embarrassed with their mess. I feel sorry for him. (ii) my shower's handle is loose so I cant set the temperature (it does not stop in the right in point). From day 1 through 4 I complain several times to the front desk for maintenance to stop by and check my shower. I check out and this problem was never solved. No one from maintenance ever stopped by. They just don`t care. They tell they will solve, and they simply don't. I spent 7 nights in a "five star" and I couldn't set my shower temperature. I was so tired of complaining, that i quit and accept the fact that I will either take a cold or very hot shower. (iii) valet parking simply forgot our sky window open, so you can imagine how cold was the car's interior the next day... if you are in a good mood, you can even laugh making jokes on how terrible the service is. (iv) I left the hotel (thanks god - went to fours seasons denver - what a difference!) and they charge my credit card for 500 USD in SPA treatments that i never had. I have never even been to their spa. Probably from some other guest (I don't really know, because from my perspective you need to be really stupid to make this sort of mistakes). Conclusion is: even after you leave, viceroy staff keeps giving you trouble (in this case, 500 USD kind of trouble). At some point you will start feeling pity for how terrible they are.
5) Food: terrible. Both the restaurant and breakfast have 3 star hotels' food. Although I had included breakfast in my expensive rate, i did not eat it, because it is terrible. Dinner is also terrible. Wine list is much more expensive than little nell's for the same wine.

In a nutshell: If you are looking for a 4 star hotel, with good rooms, you don't care about food, you don`t care if the pool and ski valet is crowded and the service is non-existent, you can go there - and pay high rates. Otherwise, if you are looking for a luxury experience, look for houses in Snowmass or stay in Aspen at st regis, little nell, jerome etc. Viceroy is NOT a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Miguel R

Dear Miguel R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback on your recent visit with us. I apologize that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations as we strive to create the most positive experiences possible. It is only through such input that we can continue to improve so as to ensure the ongoing satisfaction for our guests.
Clearly there were some very basic issues that we fell short on during this visit. I am unhappy with the experience we have created for you and wish to create some way forward to erase these and develop more appropriate memories. Please reach out to me directly so that we can discuss this further.