“Rated higher than it should be”
Review of Browns Canyon Inn

Browns Canyon Inn
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Denver, Colorado
“Rated higher than it should be”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We've stayed here twice in the last 3 years. I chose this hotel because of how high it was on Trip Advisor compared to the other Salida hotels. It wasn't a bad experience, but certainly doesn't deserve to be in the top of the hotels available in Salida. I only know this now b/c recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express down the street and it was a much better experience all the way around yet it's rated lower than this place. My only guess is that people have a soft spot for the owners. As for me, I want to rate a hotel on ALL it has to offer. If I compared everything, this hotel should not be as highly rated as it is. Here's why... Cold continental breakfast. Small eating area. Bedding consists of those old looking covers. No indoor heated pool. This place just needs updating. One upside is that this place will save you a few dollars. It's cheaper than the HIE. If you are ok with paying a little more, please check out my HIE review.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank esanjays96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The owners were very sweet and hospitable. They were genuinely interested in us and made us feel at home. The hotel itself was very cozy and even finished with real wood by the owner's own hands!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have always been pleased with TripAdvisor reviews... until now. We stayed here for one night the first part of this month. Went skiing at Monarch and came in looking forward to a good nights sleep to rest to return to another great day of skiing the next day. Wow. Were we disappointed. On check in, the man started to give me a key then took it back saying "Oh wait, no this one", crossed off the room number 207 and wrote 208 instead. No big deal. But when we went back to the car to get our bags, and went back into the hotel to our room, I stopped at the door to 207 and went to put the key in.. but the door opens, out comes a teenager who runs down the hall, opens the door to 208 and runs in, loudly talking to her friends, with TVs blaring in both rooms. Hm. So I go back to the front desk and let the man know the room number must be wrong and he tells me "no thats your room number". I explain what occurred and so he walks down the hall to see both doors open with people coming in and out. He then proceeds to the next door, pauses, mumbles to himself and moves on to the next door- until he finds an unoccupied room that opens directly onto the lobby. My husband and I have stayed in hotels on 4 continents and never had that happen. Dont innkeepers usually know if a room is occupied rather than booking multiple people in a room? I cant imagine the risk of stealing, privacy, everything ... The lobby was ridiculously noisy with many people gathered there talking loudly- which made the BIRD in the lobby chirp and squawk loudly to be heard over them until 11pm. Should I mention the stained towels and slow draining tub? In the morning, at front desk there was a box to put the keys in to check out- we never could find an employee to get our receipt or express our concerns to.

And if you are handicapped, good luck going in the door, the A/C boxes overlap the sidewalk so you cant get past them (its a raised sidewalk) and the double doors to the lobby aren't automatic, no button to push to open either and they open outwards so you have to pull and try to navigate around the a/cs.

I've been to Salida many times before and I REALLY recommend you stay elsewhere - there ARE other options - this IS NOT the #1 rated no matter what TripAdvisor says in this case!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PediDr
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed here one night last week. It was not a weekend so we expected it to be quiet. However the walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING from adjacent rooms-noisy all night. Continental breakfast was very basic with stale pastries. Not worth the price and is over rated on Trip Advisor. If you stay here, bring your earplugs and be prepared for a very basic motel.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank pitkinman
Boulder
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Through the past 8 years, I have stayed here every year, and it just gets better and better every year. The owner, Mark, keeps upgrading every year -- from new mattresses, to granite counter tops, shower curtains, bed spreads, drapes, and HD TVs. This is the best Day's Inn I have ever stayed at. The rooms are immaculate, and smell immaculate. The owner, Mark makes you feel so welcome and comfortable.

You cannot find a place as nice as this for much higher price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends