“Favorite stop”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Bongo Billy's Salida Cafe
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Bongo Billy's in Salida and Buena Vista are on my "stop if you are in town" list. Great coffee drinks, pastries, soups, wraps and other light fare. I wish I had some of their coffee right now! Friendly staff and inventive food.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

We have had multiple breakfasts at BB's and it is probably THE meet and greet place in town. Great coffee, and you get a real MUG not a styrofoam cup.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

This place drives me crazy!!! They have pretty good food, a killer deck out back by the Arkansas river, a cool bike shop next door and great music in the evenings, but the service is ridiculously slow! I used to come to this place whenever I visited friends in Salida because it really is a nice spot, and right downtown. But the folks behind the counter are so inefficient it's exasperating. I'm not sure why the owner never deals with this, as it's been this way for years. At least 3 times I've waited in line behind two other people while there were 3 people behind the counter, and it still takes forever. If you know the owner please say something! I'll still visit for the live music at night because they really excel at getting wonderful talent for such a small place. But if you want coffee in under 10 minutes, this place will try your patience...

1  Thank RancherRoy
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Salida Cafe (f/k/a Bongo Billy's) is the best place for pastries, good coffee, tea and good atmosphere.

I've read complaints about service and timeliness. It's deli style, and sometimes they aren't super fast, but in all the years I've been going there I have never been bothered on either account. Occasionally they make a mistake on food - c'est la vie. Sometimes I've griped, other times just let it go.

Check out the bands at night.

I've sat for hours, also, on the internet. Of course, I buy coffee and leave a tip. Coffee refills are like 60 cents or something, self serve.

Clark and Al work hard to enrich the community with this place, and a they do so with arts, public service and a great coffee house+.

So says me. :-).

1  Thank jeffa81201
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I can't believe the encounter I just had at BB's in Salida! It's our favorite place whenever we visit and I've always had good experiences. Today I stopped in after the lunch rush with my two young sons. The girl who took our order was friendly and helpful but we then had to wait over 10 minutes for a kid's quesadilla, soup/salad and a sandwich to go. It wasn't busy and when I finally saw another waitress come out with what was obviously our order I tried to flag her over. She rolled her eyes at me and went outside. When she finally came back in, still carrying our order, I stood, motioned to her again and waved our table number. She rolled her eyes *again*, brought our stuff over and set it down. I asked where the chips and pickle were for the kids' food and she dryly told me it didn't come with that. I told her that the sign said it did and she rolled her eyes one last time and walked off without a word. It got busy after so I didn't stay to talk to a manager but I'm really hoping it wasn't her. I've never given a business a bad review and can't believe it's this one but I'll never go back. We'll be at Cafe Dawn and First St. Cafe for the rest of our trip.

2  Thank scullypop