“Great Value in Pagosa”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Pagosa Springs
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stopped here on the way to New Mexico. First time to stay at this property. It is an older Motel but well maintained. The room was very comfortable and clean - the heat was even on in the room when we went in. The Pagosa Hot Springs are right across the street, a short walk.
We did have a small problem at check in - I travel with a small service dog because of a severe hearing loss. The desk clerk demanded to see papers proving she was a service dog, this is a violation of the ADA. I explained this to him but he was insistant on some proof which I do not carry, only her vest and tags. It was a minor inconvienence but be aware if you have a service dog.
The attached restaurant serves a continental breakfast to guest and offers a hot breakfast discount. We opted for the hot breakfast and it was outstanding! The waitress was also the cook and cashier she was very friendly and outgoing and a great cook.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Windwalker1938

Reviewed 14 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Oak Ridge Lodge while skiing at the Wolf Creek Ski Area in early January 2012. We had originally planned to ski for the week at Vail and nearby resorts, but this year the snow was so meager in that area (and almost everywhere in the western US) that after 2 days skiing there, we decided to pick up stakes and go where the snow was – Wolf Creek. This was a great decision and well worth the 4-hour drive each way (plus the double payment for housing, since we were still paying for the condo in Vail!). We originally planned to ski here 2 days, but after a taste the first day, we decided to stay 3. The Oak Ridge Lodge (OR) in Pagosa Springs had good reviews, so we decided to base there. By the way, if you're skiing Wolf Creek, you can stay in Pagosa Springs or South Fork. If you're coming from the Vail area, South Fork is on the way, so Pagosa Springs involves more driving, but it is a larger town with more choices of restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, and of course the springs, if that's your thing. So, your choice.
The OR was not luxurious, but didn’t have the feel of a low-budget hotel, either. It was a nice compromise. I asked for a quiet room, and was given a room facing the parking lot, which was perfect – no noise at all. After seeing the setup, I don’t imagine any of the rooms get much street noise. The room itself was good size, very clean and well maintained, with a fairly large old style TV. The bed was wonderful – not too hard and not too soft. The wifi in the room worked well, although Netflix was inconsistent. I suspect that at prime time, the system just doesn’t have quite enough band-width to handle high-data applications like Netflix. But otherwise, web browsing was very high speed. We ate one night at the hotel’s restaurant, which had a simple and limited menu, but the food was very good and plentiful. Their house-smoked turkey was absolutely delicious. My wife got so much of it on her ‘’turkey caesar salad’’ that we saved some and made a sandwich the next day. And speaking of food, there was a microwave available to guests in a common area. The hotel had the usual outdoor hot tub, which was clean and felt good on sore muscles after a day on the slopes. But the best feature was the indoor pool. It was maintained at a comfortably warm temperature, which encouraged prolonged soaks and socializing with other guests. It was not huge, but big enough to swim laps if you were so inclined. (We weren’t). All the staff were very nice and helpful. My only complaint – not shared by my wife – was the meager selection at the continental breakfast buffet. I’ve stayed at many hotels of this kind of over the years, and this one had about the fewest choices I’ve ever seen. My wife looked at this as an opportunity to eat light and healthy, and noted that they offer a $4 upgrade to a nice hot breakfast if you want one. All of that is true, but in my view if you advertise a continental breakfast buffet, it should have more choices than this one. (As I recall, it was just 3 juices, milk, white bread, corn flakes, fruit loops, coffee cake, hard-boiled eggs, oranges, grapefruit, cheese, and yogurt – the same every day). I ended up going to the grocery store and bringing my own bananas and whole wheat bread for toast the last 2 days of our stay. But all in all, we had a very pleasant stay for a reasonable price, and we would certainly consider staying here again if we come back to Wolf Creek, as we hope we do!

Room Tip: Apparently the deluxe rooms have microwaves and fridges, but there is a microwave for guest use in a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johndc
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My wife and I spent one night here in late December. We were very impressed.
The young lady that checked us in was very friendly and helpful.
We ate breakfast in the resturant the next morning.
It is conveniently located across the street from the Hot Springs and we spent about two hours there before leaving town. It was quite an experience soaking in a 105 deg. hot springs during a beautiful snow storm.
The accommodations are basic but the room was clean, the bed comfortable and the staff friendly.
for a one night stay, you can't ask for more.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Golferman23
Reviewed 21 December 2011

First time not staying at the Pagosa Inn, and bottom line I won't make the same mistake twice.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank ur12cujo
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This facility is right across the street from The Springs Resort which has the best hot spring pools I have ever been to. And the rooms at Oak Ridge Lodge are less than half the price! I have stayed at The Springs in the past and the price difference is just not worth it. And I have stayed in rooms at The Springs that are a further walk to the pools than walking across the street from Oak Ridge. It is so close I was walking back and forth in flip flops, bathing suit and robe in a snow storm! The room was very comfortable, clean, and quiet. The only negative thing was the hair dryer they provided did not work. I chose not to use any of their other amenities, like their hot pool, hot tub and free Continental breakfast, so I can't comment on them.

One general comment about Pagosa Springs...they need more restaurants. I seem to always find myself there on a Monday during a snow storm. And my experience is that most of their restaurants are closed on Monday nights. But see my review of The Rose for a fabulous breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo