New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Pagosa Springs
Virginia
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Oak Ridge Lodge while skiing at the Wolf Creek Ski Area in early January 2012. We had originally planned to ski for the week at Vail and nearby resorts, but this year the snow was so meager in that area (and almost everywhere in the western US) that after 2 days skiing there, we decided to pick up stakes and go where the snow was – Wolf Creek. This was a great decision and well worth the 4-hour drive each way (plus the double payment for housing, since we were still paying for the condo in Vail!). We originally planned to ski here 2 days, but after a taste the first day, we decided to stay 3. The Oak Ridge Lodge (OR) in Pagosa Springs had good reviews, so we decided to base there. By the way, if you're skiing Wolf Creek, you can stay in Pagosa Springs or South Fork. If you're coming from the Vail area, South Fork is on the way, so Pagosa Springs involves more driving, but it is a larger town with more choices of restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, and of course the springs, if that's your thing. So, your choice.
The OR was not luxurious, but didn’t have the feel of a low-budget hotel, either. It was a nice compromise. I asked for a quiet room, and was given a room facing the parking lot, which was perfect – no noise at all. After seeing the setup, I don’t imagine any of the rooms get much street noise. The room itself was good size, very clean and well maintained, with a fairly large old style TV. The bed was wonderful – not too hard and not too soft. The wifi in the room worked well, although Netflix was inconsistent. I suspect that at prime time, the system just doesn’t have quite enough band-width to handle high-data applications like Netflix. But otherwise, web browsing was very high speed. We ate one night at the hotel’s restaurant, which had a simple and limited menu, but the food was very good and plentiful. Their house-smoked turkey was absolutely delicious. My wife got so much of it on her ‘’turkey caesar salad’’ that we saved some and made a sandwich the next day. And speaking of food, there was a microwave available to guests in a common area. The hotel had the usual outdoor hot tub, which was clean and felt good on sore muscles after a day on the slopes. But the best feature was the indoor pool. It was maintained at a comfortably warm temperature, which encouraged prolonged soaks and socializing with other guests. It was not huge, but big enough to swim laps if you were so inclined. (We weren’t). All the staff were very nice and helpful. My only complaint – not shared by my wife – was the meager selection at the continental breakfast buffet. I’ve stayed at many hotels of this kind of over the years, and this one had about the fewest choices I’ve ever seen. My wife looked at this as an opportunity to eat light and healthy, and noted that they offer a $4 upgrade to a nice hot breakfast if you want one. All of that is true, but in my view if you advertise a continental breakfast buffet, it should have more choices than this one. (As I recall, it was just 3 juices, milk, white bread, corn flakes, fruit loops, coffee cake, hard-boiled eggs, oranges, grapefruit, cheese, and yogurt – the same every day). I ended up going to the grocery store and bringing my own bananas and whole wheat bread for toast the last 2 days of our stay. But all in all, we had a very pleasant stay for a reasonable price, and we would certainly consider staying here again if we come back to Wolf Creek, as we hope we do!

Room Tip: Apparently the deluxe rooms have microwaves and fridges, but there is a microwave for guest use in a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank johndc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My wife and I spent one night here in late December. We were very impressed.
The young lady that checked us in was very friendly and helpful.
We ate breakfast in the resturant the next morning.
It is conveniently located across the street from the Hot Springs and we spent about two hours there before leaving town. It was quite an experience soaking in a 105 deg. hot springs during a beautiful snow storm.
The accommodations are basic but the room was clean, the bed comfortable and the staff friendly.
for a one night stay, you can't ask for more.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Golferman23
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

First time not staying at the Pagosa Inn, and bottom line I won't make the same mistake twice.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank ur12cujo
Santa Fe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

This facility is right across the street from The Springs Resort which has the best hot spring pools I have ever been to. And the rooms at Oak Ridge Lodge are less than half the price! I have stayed at The Springs in the past and the price difference is just not worth it. And I have stayed in rooms at The Springs that are a further walk to the pools than walking across the street from Oak Ridge. It is so close I was walking back and forth in flip flops, bathing suit and robe in a snow storm! The room was very comfortable, clean, and quiet. The only negative thing was the hair dryer they provided did not work. I chose not to use any of their other amenities, like their hot pool, hot tub and free Continental breakfast, so I can't comment on them.

One general comment about Pagosa Springs...they need more restaurants. I seem to always find myself there on a Monday during a snow storm. And my experience is that most of their restaurants are closed on Monday nights. But see my review of The Rose for a fabulous breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AlwaysMexicoDreamin
Northern NM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Stayed Thanksgiving weekend 2011. Picked it because it's across the street from the springs & a lot cheaper. But you get what you pay for. Hot tub was broken which is a serious downer on a ski trip (& staff didn't seem to be in a hurry to get it fixed). Sauna didn't work either. Free "continental" breakfast was bare bones; $4 gets you eggs & meat. Quantity, not quality; we went elsewhere after the 1st morning. No extra blankets available. Didn't replenish shampoo, soap, etc., on subsequent days. Wife couldn't handle the bed (her back) & slept on couch. TV was old CRT w/fuzzy picture. First hotel stay in Pagosa Springs so I don't know the local standards vs. price, but we'll be skiing at Wolf Creek this winter & we're going to (hopefully) find a better place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NMBomber
OakRidgeLodge, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Dear valued guest,

I am sorry for the inconvenience that you accrued during you stay with us. We know how much our guest enjoy the hot tub and sauna here at the Oak Ridge Lodge, which is why we made sure that any issues that accrued during the busy holiday were taken care of in a timely fashion. The maintenance staff was able to fix the issue of the hot tub very quickly and I am happy to say that it is running fine.

We do offer a free continental breakfast in the mornings to our guests; however we also provide hot upgrade options and a breakfast menu for our guest to choose from for a small fee.

The staff at the Oak Ridge Lodge takes pride in providing professional and quality care to our guests and hope that you will think about staying with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Pagosa Springs hotels