All reviews wolf creek tubing hill hot tubs and sauna wood burning stove log cabin coffee machine biscuits and gravy great place to stay road noise front porch breakfast room main building hard boiled eggs two queen beds breakfast was delicious family vacation ski area
Reviewed 22 January 2016 via mobile

The room was very clean and modern. The staff was very friendly and suggested some great restaurants. Breakfast tasted great. Looked beautiful with the snow and very close to Wolf Creek for skiing and snowboarding. Very happy with my stay will definitely be returning.

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HCL3821, Manager at High Country Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2016

We enjoyed hosting you, and glad your stay was what you wanted it to be. Come back often, and we will give you the same warm welcome, and lots of info on restaurants, and local activities. Our staff really likes helping our guests find all the best of Pagosa Springs!
Thanks for staying with us! See you soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2016

We spent five nights in Cabin 406A at high Country Lodge. Really enjoyed the place, particularly the staff. All were extremely friendly and helpful. About as close to Wolf Creek Ski Area as possible, but still close to Pagosa Springs. Although it snowed hard pretty much the entire time we were there, the staff did a great job of keeping the snow plowed and the drives passable. Downside to Cabin 406A is that there is comfortable living room seating for only three people. Not really another place to put a chair, but a longer couch in place of the couch and two end tables would be an improvement. Another difficulty was the amount of heat the oven emitted. Although it was 25-30 degrees outside, we literally had to open windows to cool the place off when running the oven. But overall, really enjoyed our visit to High Country Lodge.

Room tip: Cabins in the back are suggested
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
HCL3821, Manager at High Country Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2016

We enjoyed reading your great review! You know, snow storms are always a test, but we have a great staff that works as a team to ensure our guests enjoy their stay. Part of that is moving all that wonderful white stuff out of the way so everyone can get out to go skiing! We enjoyed hosting you and your family-you all seemed to have a lot of fun while here. Those great memories you made will be with all of you for years to come!

Thank you for choosing High Country Lodge. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2016

We found this little lodge to be a delight! Friendly and kind staff (allowed my parents to hang out on the lobby couch for two hours after we checked-out while we snow-tubed and waited for our house rental check-in time). Delicious breakfast and DVD and board game library. Best part is definitely the tubing hill, which we went to again at the end of our trip. The warm and caring folks who run this lodge made staying there a pleasure. Excellent location out of town just a bit and closer to Wolf Creek Ski Area. We stayed in the motel part and beds were comfortable and rooms very clean. Right off 160 but I did not hear a lot of road noise.

Room tip: I think the cabins would be even nicer than the motel rooms.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
HCL3821, Manager at High Country Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2016

You had the kind of experience we want all of our guests to have at HCL! The nice thing is, as a "Mom and Pop" lodge, we can accomodate our guests in ways the large chains are unable to do, and that can make a lot of difference to a guest. We are so glad you had fun in our tubing park-the amount of snow we have been blessed with this year has made a lot of families happy, whether here or at Wolf Creek.

We enjoyed hearing from you. Thank you for choosing High Country Lodge. We hope you come back soon!

Reviewed 3 January 2016

We have stayed here four or five times over 10 years. We have always rented one of the cabins. They are cozy, clean, and comfy, with plenty of room, kitchens, and wood burning stoves. We love the hot tubs, the breakfast, the sledding hill, and the fact that pets are welcome! We would have stayed here for our recent Wolf Creek ski trip, but they were booked. Having stayed somewhere else, I realize even more what a gem High Country Lodge is. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room tip: The cabins are the best!
Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
HCL3821, Manager at High Country Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2016

We are so sorry we didn't get to host you on your recent Wolf Creek trip! We always enjoy our returning guests and have a lot of fun reminiscing. But now that the holidays are over, things are slowing down a bit, except for the tubing hill! It's faster than ever and people are having a lot of fun. As you already know, Wolf Creek has tons of snow this year and the skiing and boarding has been outrageously good! We will definitely look forward to seeing you on your next trip. Call us and we will do our best to reserve your favorite cabin! Thank you for your kind words, we enjoyed hearing from you!

Reviewed 2 January 2016

We stayed at the High Country Lodge December 23-27. Our original plans were to ski Snow Mass, CO but my husband changed our plans last minute to stay in Pagosa to ski WolfCreek. I chose the lodge because some website said it was #1 in town. Not. I was even told by people in the town while shopping that it was definitely not. The thing that irritated me the most was we did not have hot water consistently. Now keep in my mind the temperatures were in the single digits and the thing you want MOST from your hotel is a hot shower. When I brought it to their attention (again) upon checking out the owner (I presume) was treating me like it was my fault I did not have hot water! Like really???? And of course, when she went up and checked it was completely hot (this was 3 hours later that morning). I guess she thought I was making it up, but I had no reason to. I was just trying to let them know. Then she offered a partial credit, and I checked my cc this morning and she never gave it. I was not expecting such but after she offered my husband and I both said that would be nice since we truly did not have hot water at bath times. All I can say is, we travel to CO about 3 weeks out of the year in both Summer and Winter. We will NOT be staying here again nor recommend it to our other friends who travel up there as well. If the lady was kinder (and not accusatory....like it was all my fault for not letting them know), I would not have even written this review but treating an honest person like they are lying does not exhibit good management skills. I guess I am spoiled with the customer care Marriott gives.

Room tip: Maybe their cabins are nicer (the picture on-line sure looks like they are). The room was just a room, without consistent hot water. LOL
Date of stay: December 2015
3  Thank Julie D
HCL3821, Manager at High Country Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2016

We are very sorry that your experience at HCL was not the way you intended. Our number one goal is to provide excellent service.
We strive to provide a wonderful place to stay for all of our guests. We always encourage our guests to come to us immediately with any concerns. The first time we heard about the water was upon checkout and we immediately went up to see what was wrong. Had we known about it sooner, it certainly would have been resolved.
It seemed that you were mostly upset about your ski plans being derailed because the pass to Wolf Creek was closed, and you were forced to go ski at Durango Mountain instead. You mentioned several times that this ruined your vacation. While we know that the pass closure affected many of our guests that were planning to ski, we were happy to be able to offer the onsite tubing hill and also blessed to have the most snow in Colorado!