All reviews hot springs small table and two chairs sink area small fridge within walking distance will stay there again rooms were very clean wolf creek ski area yogurt cabin property carbs pets downtown rockies snow
Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Our room was very clean for how old it was and we had no problems at all. There were plenty of towels and we didn't get disturbed once all week because we put a sign on our door. The wifi worked just fine and we got quite a few channels to watch pretty much anything if you get snowed in. The one thing we didn't really care for was the old, loud gas heater in the wall right next to our bed. Also, you can hear everything next door to you but luckily, we had a quiet neighbor for the week. The parking lot was easy to get in/out of in my tiny car, even in the blizzard that occurred. I love this town and would for sure recommend this place to anyone.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashhmorgann
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Pros:
- probably one of the cheapest places in Pagosa
- cool location by the river, some restaurants nearby
- rooms are clean

Cons (it is cheap for a reason)
- mattresses are older than I am (and I have gray hair)
- heaters are LOUD, but very effective (so this is a pro and a con)
- parking lot in the winter is not "winterized" for guests - very slick, slippery and potentially dangerous.
- drafty rooms (I could see tiny icicles forming under the door - some super cheap weather stripping could fix this and certainly save on heating costs)
- housekeeping kept looking in my windows (maybe to see if I had left the room in order to clean it??) even though I had the "do not disturb" sign on my door.
- not so friendly front desk

I'm pretty easy going traveling - don't need a lot of fuss, but expect people in the hospitality industry to be...um...hospitable. The elderly woman that checked me in was nice when I checked in, but when I went back that evening to get a cup of coffee (none is provided in the rooms, but they say it is always available in the lobby until it closes), she told me she had "dumped it, but I'm sure you can go up the street and find some". I laughed, because I thought she was joking, but nope - dead serious. After reading some other reviews, I guess I should consider myself lucky that I didn't complain and was told to leave in the middle of the night like another review I read. This place is a good value if the dollar is the only thing you value. I won't return because when presented with a very easy way to be hospitable, I was told to "go up the street". I'd rather pay a few bucks more to not have my stay poisoned by a not so nice front desk clerk. Any place that seemingly brags that they have thousands of guests and hundreds are happy - yikes - is that the standard you want, even for a good price?

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2017

We stayed here the night before we went boarding at Wolf Creek. It's what you expect for a motel. Everything was clean and moderately comfortable. Close to restaurants and only 30 min from Wolf Creek.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank summitlove
Reviewed 18 December 2016

I wish to preface this review with the fact that I have stayed at this establishment for dozens of nights and have spent thousands of dollars over the last six months. I have left one honest review of this place and have not detailed my many problems in subsequent visits because it just wasn't worth my time. But my last visit was the single worst customer service encounter of my entire life.

Without droning on for paragraphs, there was a completely honest lack of communication regarding traveling with a pet. Frankly, there's not a place to state you're traveling with a pet on their website and the front desk staff don't always ask. I've traveled with a pet in the past and have paid the associated fee many times in my travels. While I went for a walk over an hour before checkout, a member of the staff entered my room (despite the fact that I had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door and had not checked out), went thru my refrigerator, left the door to that and the microwave and rifled thru the cash I intended to leave as a tip (they did not take the cash, but I had folded it in a specific way so I could tell if anyone had gone thru it). The front desk clerk/manager/owner/who knows what named LAURA called me with a nasty disposition, asking if I had a dog. She was honestly told that I did. I've spent thousands there - why lie about 30 bucks???

When I went to actually check out (yes, housekeeping, now you can enter my room) she immediately asked about the dog. I gave her an honest answer, that it was an honest oversight and instead of doing what a normal hospitality worker or business owner would do, which is to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has stayed in their establishment - despite the shoddy rooms, poor Wi-Fi, and parking lot that is not salted, sanded, plowed or anything else to provide a safe environment for their "guests" - at least a dozen times in six months, guess what she said (with a supremely nasty look on her face and overall disposition)? She said "you just need to find somewhere else to stay."

Absolutely unbelievable. There was no conversation, nothing. When I told her about the many issues I've dealt with staying at this very shoddy property, she essentially yelled at me for not yelling at them and complaining? Seriously?? And then she brought up how I was supposedly rude to one of their employees (two months earlier and after they accepted my money for three more stays) when I had to be moved from the room I booked to another due to another malfunction in a shoddy property. Well, I probably did get pretty upset - because I had to ask the employee no less than 10 time for the name of the hotel manager so I could speak to them about the issues I've had there. I don't know about the rest of the sane world, but if you have to ask someone the same questions over 10 times, don't you think you'd be pretty upset too??

Basically, this place is a dump. But it is in a lovely location which is why I loved it so much. I've noticed it is for sale and I deeply, fervently hope it is purchased and new management takes over. One exception I want to make is that there was a gentleman name Kyle, Kael (sorry, can't remember exactly). But he was exceptionally helpful when a cabin I booked became unavailable due to a leaky roof and no one bothered to let me know. I was understandably upset that I had emailed to confirm my reservation and then called to confirm and only then was told that the cabin wasn't available and they were just going to stick me somewhere else. Well, Mr. K understood how wrong this was and (although it wasn't anywhere close to the lodging experience I wanted for that particular trip) he made every effort to make sure we were as happy as we could be.

Parting words - use caution with whom you give your local business dollars to. This establishment has a lovely setting, but there is a lot wrong with it. And I hope you don't find yourself having spent thousands just to be treating like I was. I really, really hope they dump the dead weight and I can spent the many, many dollars I come into this lovely town with on a quality, appreciative establishment.

And just a side note - I've stayed here many times. Not once was I ever welcomed with a "thanks for coming back" or "good to see you again". I went into two antique stores ONCE and when I retuned two weeks later they recognized me and thanked ne for coming back. That says something. Choose where you spend your money wisely.

Room tip: Decide if customer serivce is more important than a cheap price before you stay.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
SanJuanMotel, Manager at San Juan Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2016

You are Right! It has been the WORST TREATMENT OF OUR LIVES. I will not subject my staff or myself to continual verbal abuse. Our records show you have stayed a total of nine times with us since June of 2016. There are documented complaints, from you, about something being wrong with every cabin or room you have stayed in. It's strange you continue to re book at our property when you are so disgruntled with it. Now, when you stayed with us in November and complained about the refrigerator not working in your "favorite room" my staff upgraded you to our best cabin. I was then called into the lobby by my front desk staff who was extremely distraught over the verbal abuse he had received. At that point I left a message on your cell phone, asking you to come to the lobby and I would gladly refund your money and you could stay some where else since our property did not fit your needs. NO SHOW! After being asked not to return, in December you booked again with us using a on line booking agent. This reservation was booked in your husband's name. We have done everything possible to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Numerous discounts and free up grades! We pride ourselves in providing our guests with friendly, affordable, clean and comfortable lodging. We have thousands of guests every year and hundreds of happy return guests. We wish you luck in finding lodging in our beautiful Pagosa Springs.

Reviewed 23 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed for an evening traveling through. The room was very clean and the staff very friendly. We liked it also because it was pet friendly. We thought it was a bit overpriced for what we got for our money.

Date of stay: November 2016