All reviewswood stovetent campingno hot waterwolf creek passnational forestfishing pondrv sitesthe ritzforkhummingbirdsstreambelliedwashercabincampgroundtoiletpagosa
Reviewed 12 June 2018

Rustic...yes. A Step back in time. All good descriptions. We have had a cousins reunion there...and all of those many relatives loved it. There are many nice hiking trails...and a great one to a waterfall within walking distance of the campground. Take a short drive and you go to a great little town of Creed. Another hike is west of Pagosa Springs to Companion Walk and Chimney rock. About two hours west...past Durango...is Mesa Verde National Park. There are great Tourist Trains at Durango and Chama New Mexico. We have been to Bruce Spruce maybe ten times. If it was not a wonderful place run by great people and at a very affordable price we might look for other places. If you want a very affordable cabin, book it a year in advance.

Room Tip: Look at their website. It is very informative...and gives you very good pictures of their cabins. It is a full service campground.
Reviewed 5 June 2018

My family, consisting of 9 adults, and 6 kids stayed in the Faris House in May. We had a wonderful time in this rustic, beautiful setting. The cabin was the perfect size. The scenery was wonderful. We cooked, played, played music, and had a great time. The only issues were plumbing issues with the washer hose, and a non draining tub. But my husband and sons are plumbers and had the issues corrected quickly. We also had the chance for my grandchildren to sit on and pet and love on the horses with Elk Mt. Outfitters. Adam was wonderful to my grands. We will be coming back every few years, I am sure. Loved this vacation with no cell service, no TV, no internet.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

My family and I just grudgingly pulled away from a wonderful stay at BSR. We spent two weeks nestled in this valley surrounded by beautiful views of snow topped mountains splashed with the glow of Aspen trees fully arrayed in all of their autumnal glory. The beauty of this area was equally matched by the warm hospitality of the family who were our gracious hosts. I can't recommend BSR more highly.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2017

We stayed two nights in July in the Fritz Cabin which is located a short walk from the main camp. If you are use to staying in 5 star modern accommodations this spot is not for you. This has been a vacation spot for around 80+ years for families that want to get away from it all. We have stayed in similar accommodations in other states and Canada fish camps. You have to be able to bring your own food and prepare it. Just Plan ahead. There is no hot water in the cabin so you have to be prepared to boil it. The bath room in the cabin was huge and clean. Shower was next to the main lodge. Even that was clean! We have stayed in many campgrounds and other places with central bath areas. I can't address the issue with the fishing pond. We just bought a one day Colorado fishing license and fished in public lakes and streams. I think this is a place that many come year after year to with their extended families. Remember to bring sugar for the hummingbirds. Each cabin has their own feeder. Pretty to watch. They are plentiful. Would return.

Room Tip: Look at the map online. If you are staying with lots of family choose the cabins located close together.
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We have stayed at Bruce Spruce Ranch for about 5 years now. It is an amazing place. It is well kept and I love the semi-rustic atmosphere. The stars at night are incredible. My daughter was able to say in her science class that she saw the Milky Way. Not every city child can say that. It reminds me of cabin vacations with my grandparents when I was little. Rustic, but still running water and a stove to make hot water. I love getting up to make a fire in the pot-bellied stove to warm things up in the mornings. Inside bathrooms make it more comfortable than when I used the "out-house" when I was little. It is a step up from tent camping, but you still feel that old-time charm and closeness our frontier. The people are the best. They are friendly, make you feel like part of their family and help with anything you need. Would like to say they are helpful if you have problems, but we have never had any problems staying there. Plenty of trails to hike close and great places to just take a walk in the forest. Birds, hummingbirds, chipmunks, squirrels, deer and raccoons are all there to be enjoyed. Can't say enough nice about Bruce Spruce Ranch.

2  Thank CherylH2314