All reviewsfrisbee golfcraft beerfun place to staydowntown pagosahot springsgas fireplacewolf creekcontinental breakfastloungenightstandmattresslinenscereal
Reviewed 2 August 2018

I'm always skeptical about a motel that is one long row of rooms. However, I tried Motel SoCo because of the good reviews, and I was very surprised and impressed. I was in town for one night with my girlfriend because we wanted to visit the hot springs, and we loved it. Very nice and clean rooms, nice staff, giant Jenga in the yard, good breakfast, no complaints at all. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Colin G, Manager at Motel SOCO, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Surprise, Nate!

Thanks for being you. Hope to see you sometime down the road.

Thanks again
Cheers
SOCO

Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

Our stay was wonderful and the staff could not have been any nicer!! We will stay here again for sure. If i can make one suggestion in requesting that a screen door be added to the room to allow the front door to be open so a cool breeze can come into the room at night. We loved it...thank you SOCO!!!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Colin G, Manager at Motel SOCO, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Haha! We were just talking about how cool it would be to put on screen doors.
Our only reservation would be the slamming of them. But I suppose we could install a damper.

Thanks so much for staying.

See you again

Reviewed 9 July 2018

We stayed 1 night (Friday July 6th) in Pagosa Springs and chose Motel Soco after reading the reviews. The property is as described and fully met our expectations. Yes, the walls are thin yet we had quiet neighbors. A nice touch are packages of ear plugs on the nightstand - something every hotel should do, actually. The rooms are on the small side - ours had 2 new, firm, comfortable queen beds that were the best we'd slept the whole week of our travels. No AC but cool nights prevail in the region. The bathroom was modern and clean with a big shower and a great showerhead. The breakfast burritos and coffee were great. I got the chorizo, very tasty. The owners and staff are friendly, helpful and informative. The whole concept behind this place works, but you shouldn't expect a Best Western - just exactly as advertised. Also, enjoyed the lobby art/snowboard. Made us laugh.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Colin G, Manager at Motel SOCO, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

We are so happy you enjoyed the stay with us. You know, we are really geared to friends who would be staying with us for 3 or more nights. BUT, when we meet a friend who stays one night and kind of checked us out a bit before they stay, it has been totally cool having one night stays. (We understand the adventuring soul).
A lot of the 2nd or 3rd party booking sites are really hard for us to help people know what they “are getting in to”. These sites have been great for us and we really appreciate the exposure, they just really limit how we can articulate about who we are and what SOCO is.

So, cheers to ya. And we really hope to see you again sometime.

PS hope you guys were able to stop at echo amphitheater on the way home...

Cheers

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We found a jewel in Motel Soco. Recently renovated, great price, very friendly and hospitable hosts, Autumn and Colin. Hotel rooms are cute, very clean. Nice grassy area to sit with many games to play. They have a cute area to have a continental breakfast and a place for a happy hour or ice tea if you like! Great find. I was impressed.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marissa S
Colin G, Manager at Motel SOCO, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Super!
Hope to see you sometime again.

Happy trails

Reviewed 17 June 2018

I'm seriously wondering if a high percentage of these reviews are fake...or people are getting so drunk due to the motel's provided bar that they aren't paying attention?

Now I will start out with some positives: the owners/staff are very friendly, loved the outside seating areas, loved the nice numbers on each room door, and the room did appear to be fairly clean (with problems). There was also a refrig, a fan. But from there on, it's time to take a swift dive...

First, our room was NOT "beautifully renovated". Granted, the potential was there--the walls were thick rough wood vertical panels stained a gray color. But there were two panels where it looks like another vertical board was on top from ceiling to floor...and they just removed the boards and left the underneath unfinished with pulled paint/stain on the edges. Why? That looks tacky, not creative. Another vertical panel had this huge area where it appears they just simply didn't stain it. Tacky again. Score: F

The platform bed frame is homemade out of thick 2x6 boards painted a dark brown. Sure, one can say they did a great job saving money by making their beds with 2x6's. But with the issues we were seeing and experiencing...it looked cheap, and we were constantly running into the thick jutted corners at the end of the bed. And no headboard whatsoever, which would have been nice for the paper thin walls. The bedside tables looked garage sale used, not creative. Pillows flat.

And the lights on each side of your bed? Nope, definitely not as cool a photos portrayed. Our room had the thick cord wrapped MESSILY around a metal thingy up on the wall, then SLANTED across the wall down to the single wall receptacle. Cheap and messy looking. And the ONLY way to turn them on is reach behind the tight-to-the-wall bed to find the switch. Plus the bulbs shine YELLOW. I don't want YELLOW lights to read by, but that may just be me. Score: F

And don't expect to have ANYWHERE to plug your cell phone in by your bed. There is ONE outlet behind the bed, impossible to get to, and taken by the two messily-hanging lightbulb cords. No outlets even on the side of your bed. Score: F.

Next, there are NO screens on the front window. So they provide this portable 10"-ish tall framed screen that you lay against the opened window...except that there's an open space above it between it and the glass, and any fly or mosquito can get in (which plenty had already, and there were mosquitoes outside). Score: F

AND SPEAKING OF FLIES---we walk in our room and there are about FIVE buzzing around on the inside of the window...plus one juicy one sitting on one of our "clean" towels. Really?? You can't get rid of the flies in the room before we arrive?? Score: F

Oh and perhaps I should mention the hole in the bathroom door as if the corner of the chair (by the thick homemade desk) fell backwards onto it? You can't fix it?

And let me tell you about the bathroom sink...it looks like it was the original sink before they "renovated" ...and it still has the remnants of ALL the white caulking across the back where it once was against the wall. You couldn't take the old caulking off?? Really?? And guess what the wall is behind the sink...the same vinyl "tiles" that are on the floor. Sure, they look good on the floor, but NOT on the wall, people, and definitely not poorly placed and bulging outward. This is "beautifully renovated"?? Score: F

And is there a logical explanation as to why our room smelled like STRONG CARROTS from the time we walked in until we left the next morning?? Really??

Now I can't blame the owners for paper thin walls of an old motel...but with all the low-class disappointments we encountered, it made it worse to hear 1) snoring through the wall that has no headboard 2) a few hits on the wall during the night by the same room, as if it occurred right in your room because it was so loud, and 3) love-making sounds in the other room. Of course, to each his kinky own about the latter....

And finally...the morning coffee from the bar sucked. One sip was all I needed to ascertain that surprise fact. Can you really not get quality coffee? Score: F

Bottom line, our room was a mish-mash of "I don't give a damn" post-renovation...not something I would be proud of in the least if I owned this motel. And they did NOT deserve what we paid at all.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nancyadams
Colin G, Manager at Motel SOCO, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Hey Nancy!!
Since you copied and pasted this from one yelp, I will do the same with my response. Genius by the way, I got so much more done than taking the time to really type something up.

Copy and paste starting now!

6/17/2018 Hey Nancy!
Yikes, my guess is you probably do not want us to send you a Christmas card? And doesn't sound like I will be able to win you over with a local craft brew on tap in our lounge, on the House?

Well every now and again we meet people who see life in a different way we do. And from the review you left us, our view of the wonders of life and what makes us truly happy to be alive may be upside down to your right side up... Hmmm. Well let's do address a couple things that ARE in our control. But to suggest that these reviews of our Roadside Motel are fake and or possibly drunk, well that's just plain mean. (Actually, we may start suggesting people have a brew or two before they wright a review) Great Idea Nancy!

1. We have awesome staff here most of the time that will jump through a burning ring of Fire if you let them know the concerns you have about the room not being up to your standards.(Oh and no worries about all the F's, we did get a bunch of those back when were a couple of young punks. So all good.) Seriously, come let us know what's bugging you and we will do our best to accommodate, or upgrade to, date I say, "our more luxurious rooms"(spoken in a rich person tone for context). Really Nancy, my guess is that this is not your 1st motel review. Good or bad. I suggest the next time you find yourself in this type of quandary, speak up. From our experience being a roadside motel, we will go over and above 10/10 times to try and help make your stay better. And believe it or not, sometimes that's pointing our guests in a different direction and having them find accommodations elsewhere, Pagosa has many other great places to stay.

2. We live in the mountains. Flies live in the mountains. 1+1=us living with flies

3.Sounds like you stayed in our more economical Queen Rooms 11-16. You are correct, we did do a bit less renovation on these rooms. We have stayed in every room up there and for some reason, they are our favorites! It's just so cool to be able to imagine who might have stayed there since being built in the late 40's. I mean, this place was practically built for loggers and miners back in the day. But I must say, our cleaning staff is the best around. They do keep these rooms tidy and fresh for each and every guest and if a guest has had a problem, we fix it.
BTW your room was $84 a night, you may want to check and see a comparable price in Pagosa at that rate. Pretty sure we have them very competitively priced.

4.Bedframes. Yep, we built them and actually a good friend Joe came over from Ouray to help us with them and we thought he did an dang fine job. We like them and most others do so regardless of what we paid to do them, we will keep them.

5. Not sure about the old carrots smell. We might have a rogue jackrabbit around there and if we catch him..., well I'm pretty sure we couldn't catch him, but if we did we would hug him and give him more carrots. I honestly am glad it didn't smell like something else. You wouldn't believe the smells we encounter running that place.

6. Coffee. Oh I know you did not go there girl! We do have the freshest and best coffee of any motel or hotel in town. Sourced directly from Boston Common Coffee, it's really the thing we get the most rave about. So we are going to say, no, you are wrong on this one. F for you here.

Our bottom line for you is. Hey, this ain't the place for you and we are totally cool with that. We just wish we could have been told by you while here so we could at least help, fix, or offer a different suggestion based on what you would call a "good stay" at a roadside motel. We would much rather have a guest go enjoy all the awesomeness Pagosa Springs area has to offer (especially this time of year), other than spending time in our rooms picking them apart by every detail. I mean, did you crawl around in there and just look for things to crab about? Because it would have taken less time to talk about the other cool details like comfortable bed, fresh linens, responsibly appropriated soaps and lotions, smiling staff, 4 acres to -axe throw-disk golf-take a stroll on the walking path while gazing upon the beautiful San Juan’s, wall downtown, enjoy the hot springs, tube the San Juan river, hike reservoir hill, disk golf again, in town mountain bike path, fly fish for river trout, enjoy a craft beer from one of the local breweries.... ok I typed that up mostly as an advertisement for others who read this. But hope you really did get a chance to explore this beautiful place.

One thing we are happy to hear is that it sounds like the guests in the room next to you very much so enjoyed their stay. Thanks for the feedback.

Happy trails, Nancy.