All reviews in town the owner small bathroom matterhorn motel alpine loop place to stay rooms are clean an easy walk full kitchen front porch kitchenette shower office colorado deborah cottage walkable
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I checked in to find that the room I had reserved for two nights was not available. Instead, they booked us for a cottage for one night. The front desk person -Deborah-first presented the news like I had won the lottery, we have the cottage for you! I said, oh wow, an upgrade- for two nights?? Cool!

She quickly retracted, and explained that she had no recollection of booking a room for two nights and the cottage was reserved under my name for one night-even though I spoke with her when I made the reservation, she said she and her co-worker worked on my reservation. She said she would look into it and see if she could move us (didn't happen) and if not find us a room at a different hotel (didn't happen) She made no apology, no mea culpa, I'm so sorry- nothing. Cut and dry, whatever.

Ok, I take the key we unpack- assuming she would make it right. Meanwhile, the owner's cottage behind our place has a rabid large white dog ( I say rabid because the owner had to restrain it and it clearly would've attacked my dog given the opportunity) and the cottage looks cute but, it is not great- hair on the shower floor, the hinge on the toilet seat looks like a refashioned door hinge (not kidding) there is no room in the bathroom for our toiletries-amazing that they can get $200 per a night for this place.

Hours go by and Deborah makes no effort to contact us so, I stop into the office to see if she figured things out. She said I never made the reservation for two nights (I made the reservation for two nights at a rate of $130 + $25 dog fee) and turned the entire situation around on me. They (because she blames her coworker) didn't send the promised email confirmation-- so, I guess she had me there- but, for some reason, she had my cc # and she made the reservation and charged us for the cottage- The conversation ended badly, she was rude, confrontational, reactionary, and aggressive.

If you read the reviews on both Google and TripAdvisor, I'm not the only one who has experienced the wrath of Deborah and mysteriously- after each review regarding her ill attitude, this forum becomes padded with accolades for Deborah.

Worst hotel experience ever.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
matterhornmountain, Owner at The Matterhorn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Our excellent TripAdvisor review are the result of our deep caring for our guest experiences. When a guest leaves our property with this anger and frustration it's deeply saddening. We regret that we don't know the source of the confusion on what was reserved. I offered to refund the guest entirely so she could find a place with 2 nights available but she decided to keep her reserved cottage for the one night. Allowing pets in some of the rooms on the property is always a risk when dogs sometimes bark, especially at each other. I choose to allow dogs in a limited number of rooms and have strict pet policies to try to mitigate any problems that may arise, unfortunately it's not always 100% successful. The toilet in the cottage has an unusual hinge because this historic cottage is wheelchair accessible and the hinge accepts removable hand rails. We're known for our cleanliness, and we take it very seriously when a guest informs us of a problem such as the hair this guest found in the shower.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Stayed at Matterhorn while hiking some nearby 14ers and it was an excellent choice. Rooms are clean and quiet. Easy access to the rooms - parking is within 25 feet of the room doors. The staff made it very easy for me to come late and leave early, and were very accommodating when I needed to change dates. Will definitely stay there again if I want to hike in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2017

I travel the state for business and the Matterhorn is a motel I really enjoy. The owner is helpful and gracious and the rooms are clean and tidy. Quick, walk-able access to town.

Great place for star gazing and a quiet's nights rest.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2016

We were welcomed by Deborah the owner and the room was very clean and comfortable. The beds were great and it was quiet. I would stay at the Matterhorn again for sure. We were informed of the local restaurants and stores. The drive was beautiful as well as the surrounding mountains and lakes.

Stayed: October 2016
1  Thank katzee55
Reviewed 17 October 2016

All of the rooms may not be the same. However, we had Room #1. Impeccably clean. Two queen beds with new, comfortable mattresses. Sleep sofa also in the room. Accessories above the norm, which gave the room an upgraded ambiance. Good size bathroom with shower. Small refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. Chairs outside the door for sitting and enjoying the view. Strong Wi-Fi. The Motel is tucked away at the bottom of the mountain, with lovely views. Staff available, but not intrusive. Walking distance to restaurants, trails. Rates comparable to other properties, but accept a one-night stay where not many other facilities will accommodate.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple