“RMRT Rocks - Again!”

Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre
Ranked #2 of 23 things to do in Grand Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Colorado's premiere summer musical company - Denver Post. RMRT produces live, professional theatre in beautiful Grand Lake, CO at the Western entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Entering its 42nd year, RMRT produces three Broadway musicals in true repertory nightly in the summer months and one musical weekends in September.
Reviewed 17 July 2016

We returned to the Rocky Mountain Repertory Theater for a second summer. RMRT's production of "Rock of Ages" is the third RMRT show we have attended and it ROCKED! The musical was fast-paced, had great 80's music, and was high-energy. There is not a bad seat in this very beautiful and very accessible theater so take your family and friends to this fun, fun, fun production. ((Please note that "Rock of Ages" is not suitable for young children.) Rock on, RMRT! We are already looking forward to the summer of 2017!

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

RMRT has something for everyone this summer: "Little Mermaid" for those with children and teens; "Rock of Ages" for those who love 80's music (fun for adults and young adults...not children), and "Titanic" for a those who love a dramatic storyline with excellent music. Titanic is a different storyline than the movie. Professional performers, great set design, wonderful and well performed music, and spectacular costumes in all 3 shows. Do yourself a favor and see all 3 shows!

1  Thank MarilynGrandLake
Reviewed 13 July 2016

WOW! What an amazing place.
I have seen all three shows this season already (The Little Mermaid, Rock of Ages, TITANIC: The Musical), and they're all brilliant!
The cast does a fantastic job of bringing Disney's The Little Mermaid to life on stage. You truly believe that you're "Under the Sea." The costumes are fantastic, and the mermaids really look like they're swimming on the stage - so cool!
Rock of Ages is a true 80's musical - the hair, costumes, songs and acting are fearless and a true representation of the 80s. If you were around in the 80's you know what that means - probably not too appropriate for children, but the show is rated PG-13 and there are signs up around the theatre warning parents of "Adult Language and Situations/Content." The Box Office was also great in giving us a "heads-up" on the adult content. That being said, if you watch any primetime television show, you've heard & seen all of this already. Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre did a good job in their adaptation of this show and cleaned it up quite a bit from other versions that I've seen/heard about.
TITANIC: The Musical is hauntingly beautiful. The music will get you right in the heart. We all know the ending so it's no surprise, but they go out in style. And I'm not just talking about the amazing costumes that transport you back to 1912 (they're AMAZING).
I can't wait to see the show in the fall, Million Dollar Quartet! It showcases some of my favorite musicians of all time - Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, and Carl Perkins.
You can be sure that I'll be returning to RMRT again and again!

1  Thank Kate R
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

I purchased 10 tickets for our extended family. Our group consisted of Gen X'ers and teens. We all enjoyed the show but those of us who lived through the 1980's understood the people and videos being parodied. The talent of the cast was terrific. There were some scenes in a strip club with scantily clad women but I feel the PG 13 rating was appropriate. If you are at all concerned about sexual content, it may be better to take your kids to The Little Mermaid which is also showing and is probably also great.

We did ask for a refund for one ticket because an older relative fell ill but we were denied a refund.

Overall it was a fun evening and left us laughing and enjoying our high school days and our teenaged kids enjoyed it as well.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

If you're not a parent taking their children to the Theatre, then this review likely won't pertain to you. This review is based on the Rock of Ages show. I purchased 11 tickets for my family and extended family, for the Rock of Ages performance. Several of those attending were children (12 and 13), and the show was rated PG-13, so I called the box office to get details on the content. My wife and I were mostly concerned about sexually explicit content. I was assured by the box office representative that the show was not particularly explicit, and the worst of the content were two women discussing a man's "size" for about 10 seconds. We decided the sexual content, upon the advice of the box office, was not too worrisome. The information we received proved to be incorrect. A good portion of the show is based in a strip club, with female dancers wearing provocative clothing. A women's shirt is forcibly ripped open by a male character in once scene. After the first act, I took the younger children from the show for ice cream, while my wife stayed with our older children to finish the show. After expressing my frustration and point of view to the Theatre via email, that I was dissatisfied with their representation of the show, and requested refunds of the three tickets for the people that missed the second half (myself and two children), that request for a refund was refused. Keep in mind, I purchased 11 tickets.

The artistic director of the show and I exchanged several cordial emails, but we see things much differently. He insisted that the show could be rated PG. I don't think I've ever seen a show with a strip club as a backdrop, with women running around in bras and underwear, rated PG. Further, I was quite surprised that my request for a minor refund was refused, especially considering the show was not sold out. Further, I do not thing a generic PG-13 designation on the website, with no specific information concerning content, is a sufficient way to help parents make appropriate decisions, especially since downtown Grand Lake is a family-friendly atmosphere.

I do want to comment that I thought the show itself was entertaining for adults, the music was great, and the cast was talented. If it had just been me and my wife on a date, it would have been a fun time. But on the other hand, my wife and I take great pains to raise our boys to be respectful and protective of women, and our girls to be self confident and not look for self-worth in superficiality. It was disappointing to remove a young girl and boy from the show (and they wanted to go, as they found the scenes disturbing), especially with the effort we made to get the best information possible.

So for parents looking to attend the Repertory Theatre with their children, please be aware that it may be difficult to get a good picture concerning adult content prior to going to the show.

1  Thank Drew K
MQuerio, Manager at Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

The Rocky Mountain Rep has posted clear and direct advisories for all of our 2016 Season shows in every place that one of our shows is described--on our website, on our posters and rack cards, in the season announcement video, and with several signs in our lobby. All of our advisories state a PG-13 rating, which according to the MPAA rating system (even though we're clearly not showing a movie) means "Parents Strongly Cautioned..." We want our patrons to be well-informed before they buy their tickets. Two of our shows this season are rated G--appropriate for the whole family With a PG or PG-13 rating, families will have to make their own decisions based on their individual sensitivities. Some families will have no problem with any of the content in our PG-13 rated play, and some will take objection to some content.
We are pleased that every play-goer will recognize and applaud the outstanding quality of performances.