Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre
Review Highlights
Great Show!

Live theater in the heart of the mountains, what a terrific way to spend an evening. I had... read more

Reviewed 14 September 2018
JJ S
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Outstanding Entertainment

Went looking for something to do and decided to see closing night of Annie (following night of Full... read more

Reviewed 31 August 2018
Kevin S
Greeley, Colorado
via mobile

All reviews rock of ages small town rocky mountain mama mia talented cast almost heaven full monty john denver spend an evening great performers comfortable seats broadway quality bought tickets fun evening opening night young people nice theater
Reviewed 11 July 2016

If you're not a parent taking their children to the Theatre, then this review likely won't pertain to you. This review is based on the Rock of Ages show. I purchased 11 tickets for my family and extended family, for the Rock of Ages performance. Several of those attending were children (12 and 13), and the show was rated PG-13, so I called the box office to get details on the content. My wife and I were mostly concerned about sexually explicit content. I was assured by the box office representative that the show was not particularly explicit, and the worst of the content were two women discussing a man's "size" for about 10 seconds. We decided the sexual content, upon the advice of the box office, was not too worrisome. The information we received proved to be incorrect. A good portion of the show is based in a strip club, with female dancers wearing provocative clothing. A women's shirt is forcibly ripped open by a male character in once scene. After the first act, I took the younger children from the show for ice cream, while my wife stayed with our older children to finish the show. After expressing my frustration and point of view to the Theatre via email, that I was dissatisfied with their representation of the show, and requested refunds of the three tickets for the people that missed the second half (myself and two children), that request for a refund was refused. Keep in mind, I purchased 11 tickets.

The artistic director of the show and I exchanged several cordial emails, but we see things much differently. He insisted that the show could be rated PG. I don't think I've ever seen a show with a strip club as a backdrop, with women running around in bras and underwear, rated PG. Further, I was quite surprised that my request for a minor refund was refused, especially considering the show was not sold out. Further, I do not thing a generic PG-13 designation on the website, with no specific information concerning content, is a sufficient way to help parents make appropriate decisions, especially since downtown Grand Lake is a family-friendly atmosphere.

I do want to comment that I thought the show itself was entertaining for adults, the music was great, and the cast was talented. If it had just been me and my wife on a date, it would have been a fun time. But on the other hand, my wife and I take great pains to raise our boys to be respectful and protective of women, and our girls to be self confident and not look for self-worth in superficiality. It was disappointing to remove a young girl and boy from the show (and they wanted to go, as they found the scenes disturbing), especially with the effort we made to get the best information possible.

So for parents looking to attend the Repertory Theatre with their children, please be aware that it may be difficult to get a good picture concerning adult content prior to going to the show.

1  Thank DrewK325
MQuerio, Manager at Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

The Rocky Mountain Rep has posted clear and direct advisories for all of our 2016 Season shows in every place that one of our shows is described--on our website, on our posters and rack cards, in the season announcement video, and with several signs in our lobby. All of our advisories state a PG-13 rating, which according to the MPAA rating system (even though we're clearly not showing a movie) means "Parents Strongly Cautioned..." We want our patrons to be well-informed before they buy their tickets. Two of our shows this season are rated G--appropriate for the whole family With a PG or PG-13 rating, families will have to make their own decisions based on their individual sensitivities. Some families will have no problem with any of the content in our PG-13 rated play, and some will take objection to some content.
We are pleased that every play-goer will recognize and applaud the outstanding quality of performances.

Reviewed 26 April 2016

We visited the new theater for the first time for their Christmas presentation. Had a wonderful time singing carols, photos with Santa and enjoying a movie! Will definitely be back for a theater presentation this summer!

Reviewed 3 April 2016

We go to every play, every season. We are always pleased. Every seat in the theater is a great seat. The acting is great and well rehearsed. My personal favorite part is the dancing. I feel like I am getting big city entertainment with a small town closeness and price.

2  Thank Janet K
Reviewed 6 November 2015

We are new part-time residents in Grand County and the rep company was recommended to us by neighbors. We first saw "All Shook Up" with visiting guests and were so entertained that we promptly bought tickets to see "Addams Family" and "42nd Street." Also stayed after one evening for the special solo sing by the cast in the lobby. Talent is incredible and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We are from the east coast and found the rep company productions as professional as the many shows we have enjoyed in NYC.

2  Thank Meryl E
Reviewed 3 October 2015

We had no idea what to expect from this smaller intimate theater, but were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the production. We saw the Addams Family Musical and LOVED it. Very talented cast. Live music and not a bad seat in the theater. Our only regret was that we didn't have the time to go back for a second show. Will definitely return and have recommended to friends.