“Great Place to get your Ski Legs Back!”

Sunlight Mountain Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Sunlight features 67 named trails covering over 470 acres. In addition to miles of cruising intermediate terrain, Sunlight's East Ridge has one of the steeper runs in the state. Aptly named, The Heathen falls beneath your feet at a breathtaking 52 degrees. Sunlight is home to one of the longest trails in ski country, Ute, a beginner slope that winds more than 2 miles from summit to base. Sunlight also hosts some of the best tree skiing in Colorado with many aspen groves untracked days after snowfall. All trails converge at the base lodge, so friends and family can always keep track of each other
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Whenever I plan a ski trip to the bigger resorts down the road (i.e., Snowmass, Aspen, or Aspen Highlands), I plan to ski a day or two at Sunlight on the front end to get used to the altitude and tweak some leg muscles that I don't normally use very much. With a 2010' vertical drop and 80% of its terrain rated Intermediate or above, Sunlight would likely be well-known if not for the nearby mega-resorts down route 82. But Sunlight's misfortune can save you money. Depending on the deals available (and Sunlight runs a lot of 'em), you should be able to save 50% or more over a day at Snowmass. Further, the lift lines are relatively short, the (fairly basic) food at the cafeteria is cheap, and the employees are downright friendly. If, early in your trip, you don't have the stamina to go all-out at Snowmass or Aspen, why pay their prices? I generally get a half-day lift ticket at Sunlight on day one, and then spend that afternoon soaking at the
Glenwood Springs Spa to work out the kinks in my legs. BTW, sitting in the outdoor mineral spa is a great place to watch the snow fall!

2  Thank tgw51
There are newer reviews for Sunlight Mountain Resort

Reviewed 3 June 2011

Was a surprise ski trip for husband's 30th birthday. He grew up skiing, I had never been. I was a bit anxious as you can imagine... Was the PERFECT place to learn with great instructors (THANK YOU MANYA!!) :) Not really busy like most resorts so we NEVER stood in line! Not once. Stayed at Four Mile Creek B&B, just about 3 miles down the road from Sunlight (If it's adults only, stay here!! AMAZING retreat, great service, food, clean, etc.) May be a little underappreciated by kids though ; p
SUNLIGHT MOUNTAIN- I can't wait to return! Thank you for such an amazing first time experience and for all the great memories my husband made for his BIG 30!

2  Thank ChefsWife2005
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We ski Sunlight every winter, as it is one of our favorite weekend trips from Denver. Simple and uncrowded, with the same snow quality as the Vail or Aspen but family-friendly and affordable... Sunlight coziness and rustic facilities rekindles memories of my ski learning days in New England during the 1970s. My kids learned to ski here and I hope the area remains unchanged by time so that they can pass the tradition on.

3  Thank avsfan1960
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I ski Sunlight over fifty times a season and always have a great time, every time! The folks on he mountain are friendly and the mountain is definitely family oriented. My grand-daughter and her friends can ski together while I get to go hit some of the challenging terrain over on the East ridge without having to worry about them. It's great when I can get my special parking spot (which happens 80% of the time) and be up on the lift after a 50 foot walk on a powder day! and there are never any lift lines unless it's a special event day. Also I know that the Ski School is really good.

24  Thank SunnySam65
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I learned to ski at Sunlight back in '83. Its one of those little hidden gems. If you're heading to Aspen or Snowmass, you should first stop and check it out.
Pros: Hardly ever crowded like the bigger resorts. Even on weekends. Plenty of parking right at the base. No busses or hikes to the lodge. Great lift ticket prices compared to the big ones. Plenty of trails for all levels from beginner to expert. Great views of the mountain ranges at the top. The mountain is kind of bowl shaped so all trails lead to the lodge area at the bottom. Great powder and groomed runs. Excellent tree skiing/riding. The staff was friendly and helpful. I inquired about learning to board but the instructor talked me out of it. He said I would have a hard time re-learning since I had been skiing 25 years but he would try if I wanted to.
Cons: A little off the beaten path. The only road to the mountain is a small 2 lane that can be tricky at times, however, they do a pretty good job of keeping it clear for ski traffic. Old slow lifts. You can easily spend 2 hours of your day riding the lift and it requires 2 lift rides to get to the top. There are 3 lifts total. The Tercero and Segundo lifts will takes you from the bottom to a mid point then you have to ski/ride down to the Primo lift to reach the top. Average 17-20 minutes to reach the summit. The season can be a little shorter than most because of limited snow making. The food is good but can be a bit pricey but what do you expect. All resorts are like that.
Overall, its a great little resort to have a day of fun for a good price.

3  Thank EdSkiBum