All reviews auto museum adventure center horseback riding discovery channel grand junction outdoor shower western colorado signature room private patio fire pit helicopter tour business retreat old cars rock formations outdoor activities the cantina cruiser bikes
Reviewed 24 September 2016

The Gateway Canyon Resort is beautiful location for few days get away or longer.
The staff is outstanding (primarily interns from throughout the world). We were upgraded to a beautiful suite complete with hot tub and outdoor fire pit to enjoy the cool fall Colorado evenings. This is a quite time of the year but we never felt like we were being denied the full experience of the resort. As you really have to eat all meals there due to location, it was wonderful to find such excellent food! Lots of fun hiking trails, fly fishing and just relaxing in a beautiful enviroment!

Room Tip: Highly recommend a patio and hot tub at the least for evening. Due to location and lack of light pollution it is wonderful for star gazing.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
rsharp47, General Manager at Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

dodaBoulder,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a kind review! We truly appreciate your recognition of our team, facilities, food and the numerous and varied activities available here. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

This is our annual trip to the Wild American West and we found Gateway absolutely the epitome of the wild west. I won't be surprised if one day it is designated as a national park.

The great location, the meticulously maintained resort ground, plants and vegetation, on-site trails, and the well-equipped, nicely furnished resort rooms are definitely worth a five-star ranking. What fell short is the service.

I honestly think that Nobel House should be ashamed of itself for failing to provide service on par with the caliber of the resort. During most of our stay at the resort, the resort had no more than 20 guests. Guests should expect if not more attention to details, at least not less than when the resort is fully booked - not the case. To note a few:

1. The service was almost entirely provided by interns. Although they were genuinely nice and mostly pleasant, they were also inexperienced and poorly trained. I will give a few examples. Our first night dinner at Paradox Grill, the bill was wrong. I thought it might have been an oversight, did not mention it. Two nights later, we went back to the same restaurant. We waited in the restaurant for at least 5 minutes and other guests were cheering the Broncos over Panthers, and there was no one attending the guests. I finally went to knock the kitchen door, and saw the same intern in the kitchen having a snack. One night, we had dinner at the Entrada restaurant. We made the reservation as advised at the check in (allow me to remind, there were no more than 20 guests) and we arrived on time. No one was at the reception to seat us.

2. The service was sub par. When we arrived at the resort, there was no one outside the guest registration helping with the check-in and luggage. We hesitantly parked and got out of the car, trying to ascertain the place to check in. As we walked into the building, we saw two girls behind counter (why do you need two people?). After THEY checked us in, one girl said, "feel free to use the bell cart (the brass-kind hotel lobby luggage cart) for your luggage" I was wondering to myself "even if I need it, how? Don't I have to drive my car first to the parking lot near the room? should I tie the cart to the back of my car and then use it to transport my luggage to the room?" Where are the golf carts? Turn-down service was another example. First it is only done between 6:00 - 8:00 pm, I was told. When I pressured, I was given the answer by the front desk "if you really want it, I can come right now" with an attitude. "No, thanks!" During our four nights stay, two nights, the turn-down service was not performed. One night, under our request, it was done, but only the curtains were drawn and the throw was folded. No water, no folding of bed or linen - nothing else was done. The other night, also under our request for turn down service, we saw a jar of water shyly sat on top of the bureau - you won't notice it unless you are really looking for it. There were two pieces of chocolate, each was put in a glass by the water jar, again, on the bureau at the end of the entry way, complete the opposite side to the bed and bed side tables. Curtain was drawn, nothing else was done. Was this the standard?

3. Clearly the service standard set here was incomparable with the same caliber resorts. The retail price /per night for this resort is between $500 - $700 normally with a hefty almost $80 resort fee daily. With that price tag, certain things should come expected, such as bottled water (this is Colorado, very dry) replenished daily in the room, free non-alcoholic drinks, snacks, trail-mix (this is a resort promoting outdoor activities, and also, the resort is at least one hour plus to any major town), turn-down service, maybe newspaper, coffee and tea for the convenience of the guests. Some thoughtful hotel even offer water bottle to be used during stay, binoculars, sun-screen etc. No. Everything has a price tag, including the $3.00 Evian water. I don't really need Evian water, I don't even like it. I will be happy to drink the filtered local water put in a Gateway Canyon resort bottle. But, the fact that the resort put a price tag on these things makes the hotel look so petty.

4. The hotel clearly had not put emphasis on attention to details. No one addressed us by our last names once when there were less than 20 guests on site (to be more accurate, 14 as we were told). Every time when we called to request for room cleaning, the first question was always, "which room, Mam/Sir?"

I wish that the hotel:
1. provide more guided hikes. The on-site trail is about 6 miles and is very well marked. Other well-hiked trails are at least an hour away. If you want to get close to the Palisade, you are pretty much on your own.
2. offer activities such as star-gazing and Via Ferrata.
3. Offer shuttle service from the Grand Junction Airport (to give the guests more incentive to experience the Driven Club on site)

Tips: Buy a bottle of wine in Grand Junction (or whichever city you land) before you start driving to Gateway.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank J L
rsharp47, General Manager at Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2016

J L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay here. I can tell you that your comments highlighted some obvious inconsistencies in our performance as each of the service lapses you mentioned are indeed integral parts of our standards of service. I truly apologize to you for our failure to live up to your expectation and again thank you for your feedback. Your review was the primary topic of our Leadership Meeting today, and I can tell you we are fully committed to delivering the service you rightly expect from a resort of this caliber.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity on a future Wild American West trip, and I would appreciate the opportunity to assist you in planning that trip and any future stays bringing you to Gateway Canyons. Again, my sincere apologies and my thanks for helping us to improve and audit our performance.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

Overall, this is a great resort offering a unique opportunity in experiencing the local culture and traditions. The rooms are big, comfortable and functional. The scenery is absolutely relaxing overlooking at the "wall", weather in August was ideal (may get a little bit cold at night). The facilities are great, from the pool to the restaurants. Staff are friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was top quality (a la carte) and dinners were great as well.

Walking around the resort is fun - you will see hummingbirds flying around, bunnies running around the place etc...

Make sure you enroll in at least one of the activities. The car museum is a jewel, displaying a collection of antique cars that are worth seeing. The horse riding activity is great, taking place at a nearby ranch, offering a traditional cowboy experience. People who run the ranch are great as well, very friendly and very informative.

Other activities like UTV, gun firing, helicopter ride, area tour are a must as well!

The resort offers bicycles for moving around the resort for free.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2016

Fantastic room with private fire pit and hot tub. Very quiet, very relaxing atmosphere. Even though it was a holiday weekend you rarely noticed the other guests. Very friendly staff and many things to do around the facility and the area. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Worth staying in a Casita
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
rsharp47, General Manager at Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Drkmp,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! As you noticed, our resort layout allows for a relaxing experience even when the resort is at capacity. So glad that you enjoyed our array of activities and most especially our team!

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 1 September 2016

One of the best luxury hotels we have ever been if not the best. Surrounded by canyons and butes, the decor is outstanding.. Wherever you look, you wonder if it is real. As we entered the property, we were overwhelmed with the beauty of the place. We asked for an extra charge a casita instead of the suite we had originally booked, because there was a private patio and the views were fantastic, overlooking fields with horses. The casita is huge and beautifully appointed. Bathroom has an inside and outisde shower. Staff was very nice. especially Culley who went out of her way to give us the casita. Many thanks to Ashleigh, Jorge and Karla for their kind help. We will never forget Gateway Canyons Resort.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bostoncowboy
rsharp47, Manager at Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Bostoncowboy,

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule to leave such a wonderful review. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your visit to this magical place and especially appreciate your wonderful feedback on our team! We will make sure to share with all.