All reviews ghost town bath house horseback riding other guests fly fishing butch cassidy the family style dining communal meals rustic luxury major ross luxury resort high end resort the river general manager southwestern colorado the san juan mountains saloon
Reviewed 8 March 2017

If your looking for a private getaway with a lot of "wow" factor, this is it. Casual yet upscale feel. Private and quiet modern cabins. And an amazing hot spring invites you in or outdoors. Easy Snowshoe access. Communal meals are a chance to make friends from around the world, yet privacy is yours if you desire.
Worth the price of entry as an all inclusive get away.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank charlesmI3260JO
Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

Perfect blend of a rustic and luxury resort. The staff was amazing, friendly, and went above and beyond. We will absolutely go back. Having group meals was an added bonus. The well house was fantastic. If you can book it, it's worth having your own hot spring in your room.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2017

My husband and I have been to Dunton Hot Springs 2 times prior to this past visit and have always had a spectacular time so this year we decided to spend Christmas at Dunton with our 3 children - ages 13, 17 and 18. This was the first year Dunton has been open during the holidays so we were quick to book. The overall experience was amazing and all of our children had an amazing time. I attribute our glorious stay to the other wonderful guests, spectacular surroundings and a few stand out staff members. We stayed in the Potter House, this is the largest cabin Dunton offers. It is the furthest away from the main house but we loved the fact that it was so remote. The house itself is incredibly spacious with 3 bedrooms downstairs and one master bedroom upstairs with an additional guest quarter that is in a really cool mine shaft annex.The house itself compared to other cabins we have staying in at Dunton could use some updating and attention to decor and detail. Some of the curtains were hanging off the rod and the details of the house just seemed a little out dated and shabby (but not in the rustic, intentional sense). Considering the house is a drive or long walk from the main dining area I think it is really important that perhaps they supply the mini fridge with some beverages and light snacks. It was completely empty and there wasn't even cream for the coffee. This seemed like a huge oversight to me. In regards to the staff, Eric - who has been with Dunton since our first visit, was as friendly and hospitable as always. Badi, who is relatively new to Dunton was by far a highlight of the trip. He was so much fun and really seemed to accommodate our every request. Our kids adored him and he seriously brought so much to our overall Dunton experience. Michael, the General Manager should take some tips from Badi. He never introduced himself to us as the GM and was not the most personable dude - which I feel is a necessity as a GM in the hospitality industry, especially in this sort of setting. I love Dunton so much so it is hard for me to criticize and I only do so because I wish nothing but success and improvement (for our future visits). The low point of this trip was by far the food, which was absolutely terrible aside from the breakfast. One of the meals was so bad (wild boar), that all the guests simply couldn't eat it. The chef had to prepare another meal. Not good for a resort of this level. I suspect that after our visit and the many, many other guest complaints regarding the food, this issue is in the process of being resolved.

The hot springs were as glorious as ever and like a said, the overall experience one that will forever reside in our minds as the best Christmas our family has ever had. I highly recommend Dunton, this place is special beyond belief and despite my criticism of the food and GM - one of my favorite places on earth.

Room Tip: Potter house the largest and good for a family, dolores our favorite "couples" cabin as it is right next to the river and a SUPER comfy bed.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank HWY_71
Edoardo R, Executive Vice President at Dunton Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2017

Dear HWY_71,
Thank you very much for your feedback, and I appreciate your kind words in still recommending Dunton Hot Springs as one of your "favorite places on earth."

Obviously, we did not meet your expectations or deliver an experience equal in your opinion to previous stays.  For that, I am sincerely sorry.  We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review, and value our guests’ opinions highly.  While it is disappointing to receive a review like this, I can assure you this is not the norm.  We work hard to offer an incredible experience at Dunton.  I have personally investigated and addressed all items from your review including food, Potter House furnishings, and staff issues.

I do hope you will give us another chance, and look forward to the opportunity to show you that your experience was not the norm, rather a "one-off".

Sincerely

Edoardo

Reviewed 12 January 2017

Rustic chic done right with amazing hospitality and food, but a dog policy that needs changed. We stayed three nights in Dunton in January and the decorations, thoughtful service, food and location were amazing! It is a picture perfect location with staff who know exactly how to take care of every need of the guests without being in the way. There was lots of fun activities included or it was easy to spend a day simply relaxing in the unique luxuries offered at Dunton. We were also amazed at how friendly the staff and chefs were to our family. They were able to take care of every need we had before we even knew we needed it. The service is impeccable and like no where else.

The only thing we would change is the pet policy. On our second day a couple checked-in with three large dogs. The dogs marked their territory all over the town, ruining the perfectly picturesque winter snow, and keeping two families with children from being able to let their kids freely play in the snow. It was frustrating to have the dogs barking every time someone walked by the cabin and to have them shoving the children off the paths into the snow as the dogs ran by out of control. It also was gross to hear the couple discuss the dogs getting in the public hot spring. Luckily they didn't get in with us, but just the thought of them being in it before us made we want to stay far away from it.

I don't understand why a high end resort would allow one couple to check in with three large dogs (seriously that couple checked-in more dogs than people). Unfortunately the dogs had a really negative impact on two different families and likely the other three couples who were staying at Dunton when the dogs checked in. We like dogs, but we don't like them changing the ambiance of our location or affecting activities like sledding and snowball fights.

We were hoping to make Dunton our family's seasonal vacation spot. We thought Dunton would be perfect for it, until the dogs checked-in. Hopefully they change their policies soon. Five star hotels don't need rowdy dogs ruining the experience.

Room Tip: Ask how many dogs will be checked-in before booking your trip. Other guests dogs can ruin the luxury atmosphere.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
17  Thank Carla R
Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

I'd say one of the more unique places we have been to. Here are some highlights:

Staff- the staff is amazing. The hotel manager drove 2-3 hours to the airport to pick up my delayed bags.....oh, and this was on Christmas Day!!! The rest of the staff really seems to enjoy their job and they want to get to know the guests. All
Of them were so awesome

The place- how much cooler of a set up could you have? It's basically an old western town converted to cabins for people to stay. The main "Saloon" where you eat and drink is so quintessentially high end/cool/western feeling.

Dog friendliness- if you like or have dogs; it's so awesome. I think our dog had the best week of his life!! Incredibly dog friendly!!!

Bottom line- you have to go. It's in the middle of nowhere; you will
Not have cel service (which we loved). It was one of our fave trips!!!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple