“We were pleased with the setting and people of this hotel”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 156 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Henderson, Nevada, United States
“We were pleased with the setting and people of this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We attended the presentation by Muffet Brown, a great granddaughter of Margaret Brown (aka the Unsinkable Molly Brown), on the role that Mrs. Brown played in the saving and helping of passengers on the Titanic, a ship sunk in the Atlantic Ocean on 1912. This ship was described by its owners as unsinkable yet it went down when it struck an iceberg. Mrs. Margaret Brown did escape with her life on a lifeboat containing several passengers from the sinking Titanic ship. Her strong encouragement and determination was important in all those in the lifeboat she was in not losing hope of be picked up by another ship. She also helped several of the crew from the Titanic who survived the sinking return to their homes in England.
The meeting room was very comfortable and all were comfortable as Ms. Brown made her talk. We were provided with water for refreshment, and the hotel's historian talked about Mrs. Margaret Brown staying at the Brown Palace when in Denver due to her own home being unavailable due to it being rented out when she was traveling (and she traveled a great deal).
We did enjoy a meal at the Ship Tavern where the food was excellent and the service was friendly and done with professional care and with our needs and desires always foremost.
Thank you for an excellent experience and a charming afternoon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I wanted to treat myself on my birthday, so I booked a room at the Brown Palace. It sounded luxurious and pampering, and its reputation as Denver's historic hotel was a big draw. Why was I disappointed? Because our first impression was that it caters to an older crowd who don't use modern conveniences (such as smartphones and laptops.)

I had no idea where to park, so I decided I'd probably use the valet parking service. The man who greeted us and took our car assured us that it came with unlimited retrieval service during our stay (we ended up not using the car at all, because two blocks from the hotel is free mass transit along the pedestrian mall). He took our keys and whisked our bags into the hotel. (we later discovered an all-day lot a block away, for $11.)

Checkin was smooth, but the young woman who pointed out the features of the hotel surely realized that a woman traveling with her teenage daughter probably wouldn't be interested in the hotel's cigar lounge, right? Even though I knew it would be expensive, I asked what the charge for valet parking was going to be, and was stunned to learn it was $30. (almost 20% of the price of the room!)

The hotel has a floor to ceiling atrium, with a pianist who plays lounge music on the ground floor most of the day.....but that sound bleeds into your room, which isn't always welcome. The layout of our room was confusing, with light switches in awkward places, and I hate bathroom doors that look like folding doors on a cheap closet.

There was more bad news. When I tried to access wifi, it required a password, which the front desk hadn't provided, so I used the old-fashioned telephone in the room and called information. They told me wifi was not free, in fact there was a per-device charge of $10.95/day. So my daughter's laptop + my cell phone would come to almost $22/day, with the valet parking charge---can you see why I was starting to feel "ripped off"? Does the hotel think that because you decided to splurge on a high-end room that you don't mind "extra" charges? Contrast that to the Ramada we had stayed in two days earlier that included free wifi, free drink coupons, 20% off dinner coupons, and free breakfast.

I expected to find info in the room about area attractions, maybe even a map of the local area. Nothing. There was a thick pad of paper near the telephone and a book listing hotel restaurant options and room service menus. I went downstairs to ask the concierge what we could see during our stay....but there was no concierge on duty. Back at the front desk, I found the same woman who had checked us in. She recommended the "shopping street" two blocks away, and told us about the free shuttle. I asked if the Denver Art Museum was close by, she said she wasn't familiar with it. (we found it on our own, about 5 blocks from the hotel.)

Less than a block from the hotel we found a Starbucks (free wifi). We got on the free shuttle, which took us to the far end of the pedestrian mall, where we browsed at Tattered Cover books (free wifi). We ate at a pho shop, and treated ourselves to gelato (both places had free wifi.)

When we got back to the hotel we saw the maid outside our door and a sign saying "room being serviced." It was the evening turn-down service, which I hadn't requested, and I seemed to remember from their website that it too, required an additional charge. When the maid left, she also left the radio on and the AC on high. (the thermostat, like the light switches, was not easy to find or operate.)

The best part of our room seemed to be the shower. It was a huge walk-in with sliding glass doors. It had a regular shower-head + an overhead shower-head, and you could use both at the same time (like standing under a waterfall--every luxurious.) The soaps and gels were very nice, the towels were close at hand and the kind that actually dry you (not the fluffy kind that seem to slide over your skin without removing water). There was even a makeup mirror, which was perhaps the nicest surprise of all. (many high-end hotels don't have them.) The only downside I could find in the bathroom was a lack of hooks for hanging clothes---they were located on those awful accordion doors, several steps away from where you'd probably like them to be.

We did not get charged for turn-down service, and we didn't access their wifi, so we "only" got hit with the valet parking charge and the 20% hotel tax---ouch to both. I kept wondering if the near-by Hyatt would have been closer to what I expected from a high-end hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank ycaruthers
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
First and foremost, we would like to extend our belated birthday wishes to you and want to thank you for choosing The Brown Palace Hotel to celebrate your special occasion.

I am sorry to learn, however, that your stay held certain disappointments for you, especially in regards to the Internet and valet parking charges. After careful review, we have decided to only charge those guests who are utilizing our elective services, such as Internet and parking, and we continuously monitor to ensure that are pricing is either at or below what other luxury hotels in Denver are charging.

I am pleased to inform you that we do offer complimentary Internet access in our Business Center, as well as wi-fi in our Lobby Atrium. I regret any inconvenience caused to you and want to assure you that your feedback will be taken into consideration as we continue to seek ways to improve upon our guest's experience.

And please be assured that our twice-daily Housekeeping service is an amenity provided to all of our guests free of charge. I would like to apologize, however, for the radio and temperature controls being set at an uncomfortable level and appreciate your bringing this to our attention. Our staff is trained to create a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere during turndown service and we will be sure to follow up with our Housekeeping staff to ensure this is being done accordingly.

We regret to learn of your disappointments and appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to extend a more memorable experience. Please do not hesitate to contact Ryan Pratt, Director of Front Office Operations, for any assistance.
Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The service here was AWESOME, the room....stunning! That bathroom was absolutely beautiful, never seen such a beautiful hotel. The valet was great, just too bad its not complimentary, that would have been nice. The view was astonishing, we were on the 7th floor and it was just beautiful! The tavern was really nice too, the bartender bought me a alcohol soaked cake/ice-cream thing that was just delicious. He definitely went out of his way to do that which was extremely nice. We were able to order room service when we got back around 3 o'clock which for girls who have been out on the town all night, was really really nice. Definitely will stay there if I make it back down to denver!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
We are delighted to know you had an enjoyable 21st birthday recently at The Brown Palace and we are grateful for your feedback.

I am pleased to read that you especially appreciated our newly renovated bathrooms with oversized bathtubs and soothing rain showerheads, as well as our 24-hour In Room Dining. It will give me great pleasure to share your gracious comments regarding your experience at Ship Tavern with our bartender; I know he will be happy to know that he helped to ensure your celebration would be memorable.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

You walk into the lobby of the Brown Palace and are immediately brought back in time. The atrium lobby really is a wow factor. All of the staff from the doormen, bellmen, front desk staff, servers to spa attendants really take their time to make sure you enjoy your whole experience. The doorman took the time to learn my name and used it throughout my stay, always checking in to see how things were going. My room was a great mix of retro decor and all the modern conveniences you want your hotel room to have. We had sunday brunch at the hotel and talk about amazing. Anything you could ever want to eat and the quality was truly there. When I checked out the front desk staff made sure to ask me back again and you can bet I will be back! Don't miss a stay a chance to stay here!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Henderson, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I had the most amazing experience with my closest friend at the spa today. The service was amazing. The services were great. Mani, pedi and massage. Lunch was good. The whole experience was relaxing and beautiful. The place is very clean and friendly. I have been to other spas, but this place is top notch. It is a must visit for anyone coming to town or just needing an afternoon off.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends